Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/21/2008 5:09:52 AM EDT
Is Vista still crap or is it okay? What brand has the least amount of proprietal crap. Which processor is preferred for home use and full family access(web surfing, digital camera and video playing, general documents...not a business or gaming computer).

I have a four year old Gateway with Windows XP and a Centrino processor that has been an absolute gem up until the last month or so.

I'm not interested in Apple or a "build your own" unit

roy d...all pertinent and relevant advice appreciated (smart-ass comments tolerated on a case-by-case basis)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:32:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 5:41:54 AM EDT by opticalc]
slick deals has a great deal for a bestbuy laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5750
4GB DDR2 Memory, Expandable to 4GB
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1" XGA High-Definition TrueLife LCD
250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
6-cell Lithium-Ion Battery and AC adapter
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/13253

They also have a slickdeal for an HP from Office Depot

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5550
3GB DDR2 Memory, Expandable to 4GB
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1" WXGA High-Definition BrightView LCD
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (5400 rpm)
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN (Draft-N) Network Connection

A few weeks ago there was a great slickdeal for like $650 for a laptop that had the nvidie 8800M GTS video cards The two laptops above really arent the best gamer laptops, but the 8800M-GTS is the bomb. only thing better is the GTX, very $$$
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:33:54 AM EDT
Why no Mac?

Mac computers run Windows better than any other computer on the market.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:58:39 AM EDT
Go over to pricewatch.com

They have filters so you can find what you want at the lowest price.

At this point I wouldn't pay extra to get or to avoid getting Vista. My work laptop is running XP, my print server/backup laptop is running Ubuntu Linux (Hardy Heron), and my wife's got her Mac w/ OSX. Of those, OSX is the easiest to use out of the box, followed by the Ubuntu Linux (so, so easy) and then crufty old XP.

The Vista machines I've seen were pretty high end, which was good as Vista itself consumes a lot of system resources. You want at least 2GB of RAM, with 4GB getting you better performance (and that's just for Vista). BSW
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Why no Mac?

+1

I know plenty of people who use Parallels on Mac to run their Windows and windows only applications. They run OSX and windows at the same time and it runs faster than most computers running windows only. Not nearly as many crashes either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:04:27 AM EDT
I like the Lenovo laptops myself (take a look at the ThinkPad T series and R series). Something 2.0 ghz or better with a couple gigs of ram would serve you well. Be sure to get the accidental damage warranty (especially if you have kids/pets).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:17:11 AM EDT
Whatever you do, avoid Dell. They're crap. And definitely get an extended warranty with a local store, don't rely on the company warranty as they take forever to get a replacement.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:01:33 AM EDT
Vista is FAR form my first choice in OS', but it is usable and, in my experience, stable.

My biggest gripe about Vista is its resource use, which is considerable. The biggest mistake you can make is trying to run Vista on: 1) Too little RAM (2GB practical minimum) 2) Crap equipment. (Emachines, ect.)

Spend a little more on a good name brand (HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, ect) and you'll have better results. Cheep PCs are cheep for a reason. That being said, there is no reason you cannot get a solid laptop for under $1000.

I think the HP/Compaq Presario F500 I'm posting this on cost the company less then $800 and it is fast and solid (it also was reloaded with XP, but that's another story altogether.) I have no reason to think the machine would not run Vista well with more RAM.

We have a couple Acers (I know, I know, the boss is cheep) that we added a couple of GB of RAM to and they run Vista just fine for our purposes. These are sub-$600 laptops.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:11:40 AM EDT
I just picked up an HP at www.newegg.com

It's working great. I picked one with the "XP downgrade."

I paid 800 bucks for it shipped.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:24:31 AM EDT
So an XP downgrade is an option? That's intriguing. I am avoiding the Macs due to $$$ constraints...I would like to keep it under $800 if possible.

roy d....don't need nuthing fancy (and thanks for the links and opinions!)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:32:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RoyDamnMercer:
So an XP downgrade is an option? That's intriguing. I am avoiding the Macs due to $$$ constraints...I would like to keep it under $800 if possible.

roy d....don't need nuthing fancy (and thanks for the links and opinions!)

You're not supposed to be able to get them anymore, but there are probably still some in the queue. If you find one you like and really want XP, JUMP on it because they are pretty hot property right now. You won't find them for much longer.

I know we actively look for them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:37:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By scragman:
I like the Lenovo laptops myself (take a look at the ThinkPad T series and R series). Something 2.0 ghz or better with a couple gigs of ram would serve you well. Be sure to get the accidental damage warranty (especially if you have kids/pets).

Lenovos have taken more of my clumsy handling than anything else I ever owned. I've dropped them and watched them splatter parts all over the sidewalk and thought I was doomed - but been able to snap everything back together and take off again.

The downside seems to be that the lower-end models have had what seems to me to be artificial limits on memory or storage that kept me from upgrading. Rugged hardware with a long life is kind of wasted if you can't keep adding capacity. And this is just my *perception* of how they do things, and might not be reality. Somebody else might have different information and beliefs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:04:49 AM EDT
My brother a computer geek just bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220231&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL012208&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL012208-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-E4M-_-34220231

Its a pretty awesome laptop and for a grand it was a great buy. I'll probably buy the same model in a few months.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:07:43 AM EDT
I'd go for a 486/DX running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

Imagine surfing ARFCOM on such a beautiful work of art. . .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:12:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By technocia:
Whatever you do, avoid Dell. They're crap. And definitely get an extended warranty with a local store, don't rely on the company warranty as they take forever to get a replacement.

I would Nix the extended warranty. I got one from Office Depot and it didnt take effect until after the factory one was up. And then they didnt help me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:15:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:58:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JS98010:
www.bigkey.com/pic/Aquiline/Aqualine_486_dx_Laptop_4-40.jpg

The thing on the left is his 4MB HDD.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:03:17 AM EDT
get a lappie able to run vista 64 bit but install windows server 2008 instead...

this is not a joke.. this is a real suggestion... as an alternative, try windows server 2008 32 bit..

both are faster than vista, have a ton less bloatware and can run the vista desktop with
themes but you can avoid a ton of fluff

talking bout standard here .. and makes a good game system too. i run cod4 and crysis both on 64 bit 2008 server and they run dx10...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:46:44 AM EDT
subscribed
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:15:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JS98010:
www.bigkey.com/pic/Aquiline/Aqualine_486_dx_Laptop_4-40.jpg

I actually lol'd...I remember my first 386 dx with 25mhz processor..MS DOS and letterperfect 1.0...I loaded Windows (original) and it choked it down.

roy d...good times, good times!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:17:30 PM EDT
I bought one of these a couple months ago when they were on sale. So far no complaints.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:22:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By opticalc:
slick deals has a great deal for a bestbuy laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5750
4GB DDR2 Memory, Expandable to 4GB
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW
14.1" XGA High-Definition TrueLife LCD
250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/13253

I bought one of these Gateways this morning--it's a very good deal (IMHO) if you're looking for a 14.1" rather than a 15.4".
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:24:08 PM EDT
We are still seling XP on our systems.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:35:21 PM EDT
I bought a new HP Pavilion tx1000 a couple months ago. It came with Vista. Thank God I was smart enough to use a remote backup as when Vista crashed I would have lost all my files. I had to restore it to the way it was when new to get it back to working correctly. What a pain in the ass and it cost me 2 days of work. That cost me more than the freaking computer cost!

Apparently Microsux just released Service Pack 1 for Vista. Seems pretty stable now.

I really like this little laptop/tablet pc. It's small and light and very capable. I can reccommend it highly.

Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:59:06 AM EDT
Update in OP
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:00:03 AM EDT
MacBook
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:14:06 AM EDT
My current laptop is a 15.4 toshiba a bit over a year old, intel cpu. Got it when Vista was pretty new came with premium but only a gig of ram stuck another gig in and I've been happy with it hasn't given me any problems only complaint is battery life about 2 hours.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:30:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By triburst1:
MacBook

Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:32:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cypher214:
Why no Mac?

MAC FTW.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:32:35 AM EDT
Willcom D4!
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 12:39:11 PM EDT
When my Acer laptop puked a few months ago, I replaced it with a Dell specifically because I could dump any Dell XP install CD on it with no serial, no "activation," and no problems with WGA. Even though it's got a Vista Home serial tag on the bottom, it runs XP Pro just fine. And it's not piracy because you've already paid for the Windows license contained in the "Royalty" BIOS, so you "CoC Nazis" can unbunch the panties out of your ass now.

Find a Dell XP box at work and borrow the XP disc. Then download the specific drivers for your system from Dell's support pages.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:46:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 12:44:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:47:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RoyDamnMercer:
Is Vista still crap or is it okay? What brand has the least amount of proprietal crap. Which processor is preferred for home use and full family access(web surfing, digital camera and video playing, general documents...not a business or gaming computer).

I have a four year old Gateway with Windows XP and a Centrino processor that has been an absolute gem up until the last month or so.

I'm not interested in Apple or a "build your own" unit

roy d...all pertinent and relevant advice appreciated (smart-ass comments tolerated on a case-by-case basis)

Update:

Looking at a Toshiba 3MB DDR2 RAM, 200MB HD, 15.4", blah blah blah Windows Vista 32 bit...Is the AMD Turion processor worth a shit? Or should I stick with Intel Centrino? Please advise.

I hope you meant Gigabyte and not Megabyte. 200MB is barely enough to hold anything these days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 12:41:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By TexAR:
Then download the specific drivers for your system from Dell's support pages.

That can be a problem if they don't make the drivers for your particular model Dell for XP. My co-worker is having that issue right now.

I never had this problem with a Dell, but I did just go though an ordeal converting a new Gateway laptop from Vista to XP.

Basically you should go through the Device Manager before you wipe out Vista and see what hardware you've got. On most Dells I've done this with had Intel chipsets, Intel PRO network (RealTEK in laptops), SoundMax audio (SigmaTel in laptops), Intel video onboard or either ATI or nVidia if you see a DVI connector on the back. It's not too hard finding something close that will work, even if you have to go to the hardware manufacturer's web site.. Pick a similar model in the same line (Dimension, Optiplex, Inspiron, etc.) and see what is listed. Also, make sure they're searching support downloads by the Model Number, NOT the Service Tag. Many models were offfered with a choice of OS and have both sets of drivers listed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:40:15 AM EDT
I bought a 160gb external hard drive and backed up all my pertinent stuff. I just completed a full system restore. It seems to be running like a champ right now. Maybe that'll work instead of forking over the big bucks. I'm just mad that I cannot find my copy of Office 2000. It looks like I have 30 days of my free trial of Office 2003 that was preloaded to find it

roy d....4 years worth of computing will bog down a 60gb hard drive!
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:50:33 AM EDT
I used to own a business building PC's. After years and years of putting up with their faults, i finally switched to a Mac. I have a 13" Macbook, and I run Windows XP with VMWare Fusion for my Windows-only software. Windows runs better on my Macbook than on any other computer I have ever used.

Mac's are a tad expensive compared to other computers, but I for one have spent too much time trying to troubleshoot PC's. Time is money. Buy a Mac.
Top Top