Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2003 3:10:20 AM EDT
..I have a 15 year old daughter who is being very mysterious about alot of things and Mom and I need to monitor her phone calls.

I need something to record ALL phonecalls in the house.

What kind of equipment is available?

Where can I get it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out to see if that is legal in Florida.  [url]www.shomer-tec.com[/url] has some equipment.  You can also get a tape recorder from RadioShack with a wire that goes from a phone line (any phone line in the house) to the Mic plug in on the recorder.  On the wire there's a switch that activates the recorder when the phone is dialed out or picked up.  RadioShack is probably cheaper.

TS
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Tumor: You have my moral backing in this.  My teenager would complain about the violation of her privacy when I would look over her shoulder during e-mails & IM chats, but as the adult in the house I was responsible for what went on.

Thumbs-up for active parenting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Not concerned about "Legal".

This isn't a lemonade stand.......

Let the "legal" aspect get involved and "Little Missy" can fend for herself.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bravo!!  As I always tell my two little armchair lawyers, the ideas of "Democracy" and the laws of the US end at my front door--inside the Limaxray household, we practice a benevolent dictatorship with ME in charge.  She may hate you short-term, but in the long run they usually see the wisdom of your ways.  Keep the faith, man!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just threw that in for uh, legal purposes.  I don't care if you do it legally or not.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not just ask her what is going on?  If you two aren't on such terms that she can be open with you when you ask a question, how do you think she will respond when you confront her with a tape of her conversation that she thought she was having in private?  It's probably got something to do with a guy she likes anyway.

This is just coming from my experience with my parents.  My parents didn't create an environment where I felt I could be open with them.  Because of that I kept everything from them.  When I turned 18 I was out of the house and moved 8 hours away.  Ten years later I still keep everything from them.  I'm sure they would like to know a lot more about my life but because of the way they responded to me when I was growing up, that's not going to happen.

Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
While we will dispense with discussions of Title III of the Omnibus Crime Act of 1968 regarding consent of parties to the call (per your statement of a benevolent dictatorship), the easiest way to record ALL incoming calls to a particular number is this;

Go to Radio shack and ask for a Remote Starter Switch and also get a tape recorder with both a microphone input jack and a remote input jack,

Plug it into any phone extension jack in the house that YOU have sole control over. Directions are on the RSS package.

If you don't have an extension jack that has limited access (that she can't get to) trace your phone wires in the attic (if available) and install a phone jack (in the attic, if necessary) and install the RSS + recorder.

This application is easily identifiable by disconnecting ALL phone in the house and then testing the lines with a good volt meter using the ohms resistance setting. With no phones attached to the lines, all lines should read "open", but with a RSS left attached, the line should read almost infinite resistance (in case you suspect someone has done this to YOU without your permission.

We won't argue the legalities of one-party consent (federal statute) or all-party consent (some states statutes, ie Maryland, Illinois, etc) in this discussion.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Since she is a minor under his guardianship, doesn't that pretty much negate all legal aspects of recording her calls without consent?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:48:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I say you confront her about your concerns.  I responded much better than that to invasions and searches.  Fortunately, I had nothing to hide and my folks were just being careful (props to the 'rents).  

Talk to her.

And does she have one of those infernal cell phones?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey guy,

Regarding recorders, I've been investigating this myself. This seemed to be the best deal. Just ordered one yesterday.

http://store.yahoo.com/willcan/divore.html

Good luck!

Ed
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you, and ABSOLUTELY right, you get's your rights when you start paying the bills.

Way to go Tumor.

Just prepare yourself in case you find something you may not like.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why not just ask her what is going on?  If you two aren't on such terms that she can be open with you when you ask a question, how do you think she will respond when you confront her with a tape of her conversation that she thought she was having in private?  It's probably got something to do with a guy she likes anyway.

This is just coming from my experience with my parents.  My parents didn't create an environment where I felt I could be open with them.  Because of that I kept everything from them.  When I turned 18 I was out of the house and moved 8 hours away.  Ten years later I still keep everything from them.  I'm sure they would like to know a lot more about my life but because of the way they responded to me when I was growing up, that's not going to happen.

Just something to think about.
View Quote

I'm in the same position as SWIRE.  My mom used to snoop in my mail, listen to my phone calls and so on.  Funny thing was, I was pretty good growing up--never got into trouble except for some minor mischeif and speeding tickets and stuff.

To this day I won't let her in my house unless I've had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb and "sterilize" it.

I did learn to sneak around and how to cover my tracks really well, how not to let something slip out of my mouth and let on that I had gone out the night before.

I won't tell you how to raise your daughter, but I will tell you to think hard about what course of action you take and what the long-term consequences will be.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I won't tell you how to raise your daughter, but I will tell you to think hard about what course of action you take and what the long-term consequences will be.

-Nick Viejo.
View Quote

I agree. Worst case scenario, she is involved in some illegal activity. Realistic scenario she is talking to a guy or two, maybe engaging in sexual activity. Either way, taping her calls will not change what she is doing unless you put her on house arrest. Taping her calls will alienate her further.

You can either support her through mistakes she makes or turn your back when she's done something wrong. Either way, there is no looking back.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

TT [wave]

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#15]
get a "key logger" program for the computer.  They have free trial programs available for download on the web.  

Thanks to the one I installed I am now getting a divorce.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:56:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Record the calls.  Just be very careful with the informaiton.  You will be in a catch 22, if you act on it, she will try to learn how you got it and if you don't have a good cover story, she will figure it out.  Kind of the same dilemma the allied forces faced in WWII when they were reading the German coded traffic.  

Anyway, just do a google search for recording phone calls.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since she is a minor under his guardianship, doesn't that pretty much negate all legal aspects of recording her calls without consent?
View Quote

Careful, here.
If he's in a two-party consent state , this advice could get him in a world of trouble, should the person(s) at the other end find out.
If the daughter finds out, they will find out.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Careful, here.
If he's in a two-party consent state , this advice could get him in a world of trouble, should the person(s) at the other end find out.
View Quote

Internet lawyer mode....Since she is a minor, and her signature is no good, and he is the legal guardian...Even [i]if[/i] it is a 2 party state, cant he, the legal guardian, give himself permisssion to do whatever he wants?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Careful, here.
View Quote

Internet lawyer mode....Since she is a minor, and her signature is no good, and he is the legal guardian...Even [i]if[/i] it is a 2 party state, cant he, the legal guardian, give himself permisssion to do whatever he wants?
View Quote

The "second party" is the one the daughter is talking to.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#20]
My best advice...

Go to Radio Shack...

They are $50-$100...

It atuomatically records every time the phone is taken off the hook. (incoming & outgoing)

Works like a charm...

IMHO, privacy & wiretapping laws do not apply when it's within your own household...

...Something about a dictatorship clause. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#21]
What about involuntary drug screening?  It's such a hassle to learn how to talk to kids these days with all the "shizzles" and the "nizzles" in their vocabulary - There's nothing quite like replacing the labor intensive act of parenting with the warm hum and glow of an immunoassay test machine.

Also, after you take her to the vet for the microchip implant, don't forget to put those voyeuristic cameras that are so popular in all those pop-up ads in her bedroom.  Then and only then will you receive the prestigious [b]Pro-Active Parent of the Year[/b] award from John Ashcroft.

Other than that, sounds like you're good to go with all the advice you're getting here.  Hopefully, alcohol will help soften of the mental scarring that will occur after you and your wife enjoy the surreptitious recordings of your daughters private phone calls (because I guaran-goddamn-tee you're are going to hear shit that you wish you could scrub off of your brain forever but will never be able to).
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Do it... If you learn something you need to confront her with just dont tell her how you know. The case I was involved in, the husband told the wife he hired a PI to track her because he had concerns. This coved the nature of the information. He gleamed info from the calls to add truth to the PI story.

He got the house and 50% custody. Without the info he would have paid and lost everything.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The "second party" is the one the daughter is talking to.
View Quote

Depends on how you count. Me. My Daughter. Two parties! [:)]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Tumor, maybe if we knew the gory details of your suspicions, we could figger out a different approach?? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Tumor,

First off, all 15 year old kids are mysterious.

That said, you have an obligation to insure your daughters safety and well being.

If you find nothing to be worried about, then think about giving her a little more responsibility. Course, if you do find something, then you need to take proactive measures. It will test your parenting skills. You will need to rectify the situation without alienating your daughter.

I think you know all this already, but reinforcement never hurts.

I would and probably will do the same since I have two young daughters......
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#26]
//CIA mode On//

Never reveal the source of your info. Let her think your the all-knowing parent that has eyes in the back of your head, psychic(sp?) friends network, what ever. If you let the child know(or guess) how you got the info, that source is lost or could be used for misinformation.

Link Posted: 6/23/2003 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This application is easily identifiable by disconnecting ALL phone in the house and then testing the lines with a good volt meter using the ohms resistance setting. With no phones attached to the lines, all lines should read "open", but with a RSS left attached, the line should read almost infinite resistance (in case you suspect someone has done this to YOU without your permission.
View Quote

Infinite Resistance and a circuit open are the same thing...

But anyway....Hey Tumor, call Adm. Poindexter.  He's got the tapes already.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#28]
how about talking to her instead of spying on her?  you are setting yourself up for a big falling out with your daughter if/when she finds out
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why not just ask her what is going on?
View Quote

This for the people who might not know,
[size=4][green]If a teenagers lips are moving they are lying[/green][/size=4]
[size=4][red]Now for the naive parents or just the ones who are in denial, yes they do lie no matter what you think about your little sweetheart of a child.[/red][/size=4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top