Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 3:21:06 PM EDT
OK, I have this full on Libtard that I work with who thinks that Concealed Carry is a bad idea and that guns in general are bad. Working in a Union shop environment, I expect to run into people like that. I know I shouldn't argue, but I get stuck working across from him every night and can't help it.

Anyways, I need any statistics you can find (with sources) that show that crime rates fall in "Shall Issue" states. How crime rates have jumped in countries that have made firearm ownership a thing of the past( GB and Australia?) Or, any other pro gun stuff. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
All the statistics you need, you can find in John R. Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime."  It's an invaluable book that details his research which shows that concealed carry laws have lowered crime more than any other gun laws.  It can be a tough read if you don't know how to read large compilations of data, but he does a good job of putting things in lamens terms, for the most part.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at this:
www.disastercenter.com/crime/arcrime.htm

Arkansas crime rates.  (From there you can access other states' rates as well).

CCW was passed here sometime around 94.  (You can verify this elsewhere).  Look at what happens to the numbers 'round about that time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#3]
ttt
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the book "More guns Less crime" by John Lott.

ALL the info you need
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
OK, I have this full on Libtard that I work with who thinks that Concealed Carry is a bad idea and that guns in general are bad. Working in a Union shop environment, I expect to run into people like that. I know I shouldn't argue, but I get stuck working across from him every night and can't help it.

Anyways, I need any statistics you can find (with sources) that show that crime rates fall in "Shall Issue" states. How crime rates have jumped in countries that have made firearm ownership a thing of the past( GB and Australia?) Or, any other pro gun stuff. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kris

Just  a suggestion -- be careful to not use correlational data to "prove one thing causes another".

Correlation between two variables is generally a necessary ingredient to deduce causation, but not sufficient.

I still need to read Lott's book.   Just too dman busy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#6]
ttt for online data
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ttt for online data

I linked you to online data
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top