Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 3:33:45 PM EDT
Have an upper I need done.. Dont want to paint it.. Need to be annodized.. Anybody know of some?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not confuse the black color finish with anodizing.  Anodizing itself is a surface treatment that leaves the surface of the aluminum much harder than the raw aluminum.  In addition, it is porous and will hold the dye or tinting material.

So, there is usually no need to reanodize.

Norrell's gives a great, hard finish that matches the black anodizing of most lowers.

Here is an old A1 upper that I refinished with Norrell's Moly Resin www.molyresin.com along for comparison is a new DPMS lower.

It passes my "can't scratch with a screwdriver" test.  If I had shown you this upper and didn't tell you it was Moly Resin, you wouldn't be able to tell.

(ETA:  The discoloration around the windage knob is oil I applied during assembly)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.. Ive used Molyresin before.. Ive also had lightmetalscoloring reannodize my old preban ( when it mattered) lower before I SBRd it.. Techplate can do what I want but their min. charge is 80.00.. Paint just does not look right to me.. Looking to see if there is anyone out there that is cheaper.. What I am trying to match is the flat annodize on my PAWS lower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Check your local yellow pages, under metal plating. Most platers also do anodizing.

The price to anodize a single piece may be $80, but there are significant savings for additional pieces done at the same time.

I don't think you'll find anything much cheaper though. Around me its $65 to anodize, and when you add in stripping, $80 is pretty reasonable.

Ask if he'll call you when he has a batch of items to anodize. You should be able to get a price break if he is willing to add your upper to another anodizing batch. It dosn't neccessarily have to be a batch of uppers, just something around the same surface area. But, don't be surprised if he says no, especially if you are trying to match colors. But check around locally. At least you'll save shipping costs and turnaround time should only be 1-2 days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top