Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 12:35:01 PM EDT
Is there a relatively simple way to convert an Audible book from the default .aa to .mp3?

It is the stupidest thing in the world that you have to pay $15-$20 for a book and you can't store/use it without their software, can't burn it without nero or itunes, or you can't put it on any device that can play mp3s (only Audible compatible devices).  I will not join up if I can't convert to .mp3 easily.  

Frak that copy protection garbage.  The only reason I still buy music CDs is because I can rip them to .mp3.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hold a boom box with a tape recorder up to your computer speakers.  Then, play the tape recording you just made into the microphone of your computer while you have recording software running.  Be sure to make your new recording in .mp3 format, not .aa format otherwise you are going to have play the recording you just made back all over again.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't really ever needed it, but there is software that lets you convert audible to mp3.

No iTunes crap needed for audible.  The software needs to be on a system with the audible manager is all.

I prefer to keep them in audible format, that way the chapters work correctly on all my devices.  I haven't bumped into an unsupported device in a while, the Droid was the latest, but it only took them a couple months to have Audible for Droid out after I got my Droid in June.  I tried using the MP3 converted books, and it was a total pain, relatively.

––ETA:  As for CDs, Audible Manger will burn a book to discs now, it just takes a lot of CD's and isn't worth the hassle to me, so I haven't bothered with it.   It WOULD be neat if it burnt a book to CD as MP3 "chapters", since most CD players out now support mp3 discs, but that would eliminate their copy protection.

I don't mind paying $20/month for 2 audiobooks, though.  I also heard authors also get a better commission on audiobook sales compared to book sales.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top