Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 3/2/2005 6:14:39 PM EST
Hey guys, I was in Oki on UDP with 1/7 Charley a few years back and I picked up one of those blue mink far east tour blankets. well, my sister has been bugging me for one now since I got back (left Oki with 24 hrs notice, didnt have time to get one) so I was wondering if anyone there would be willing to ship me one. I'll pay for shipping of course and throwin $10 for your trouble.
I'd ask one of my own buddies to do it but there all either out now, or in Iraq. I've also looked all over for one and the little gift shops on the bases are the only place I've ever seen 'em.
Thanks,
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 2:54:23 AM EST
IM inbound!
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:46:08 AM EST
i want one too.my cousin took mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 11:11:34 AM EST
Group buy?
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 7:17:50 PM EST
WTF was a blue mink Far East Tour blanket?

I spent 14 months on Okinawa and I don't know what your talking about...
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 8:44:27 PM EST
Its just a blanket made of fake mink that says far east tour on it with the Marine colors and national colors on it. My sister desperately wants one. I'm surprised you never saw one, they are in every little gift shop there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:47:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dave_Pendleton:

Did you ever leave the base? That crap is everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:01:48 PM EST
When I was there in the late 80s the big thing was a red Marine jacket with interlocking patches for each place you had been. Never bought one. I did buy some fake swords.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:39:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

I was at Kinser. We didn't spend much time around places like Gate-2 street. Mostly Kokusai in Naha. No Jarhead stuff for sale down there...

I saw lots of crap for sale, even bought some of it... but never heard the term Blue Mink.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:08:50 PM EST
they were usually on base actually
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:11:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sukebe:

I was at Kinser. We didn't spend much time around places like Gate-2 street. Mostly Kokusai in Naha. No Jarhead stuff for sale down there...

I saw lots of crap for sale, even bought some of it... but never heard the term Blue Mink.

"Mink" is the operative word here. They came in lots of colors. I haven't been on the rock since 83 but "mink" blankets were plentiful and popular even then. They sold them outside MCAS Iwakuni and all over Korea as well. Never saw them in the P.I. though. Wood carvings were their specialty.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 4:21:12 PM EST
Hey, there's nothing in the Foster stores, I'll check Gate-2 and some other places this week.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 5:28:19 PM EST
Thanks man, appreciate it...
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 12:24:48 PM EST

Were you drunk for 14 months or what
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:01:18 AM EST
I don't recall seeing them while I was on the Rock, either. But then, I was at MCAS Futenma....
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 1:51:50 PM EST
Heck yes, 24 months drunk. I got off the plane, sat around all day at some bullshit place on Foster watching gay "Don't this" movies, got to my unit on Futenma and into the barracks and went to sleep.

The next night I started drinking outside gate three and didn't stop until I left two years later. It was hard to ride the busses for the second time ever while drunk off my ass.

Originally Posted By drop_zone:

Were you drunk for 14 months or what

Top Top