Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2001 3:08:04 PM EDT
1st Post.  Be gentle please[:I].  I'm replacing guns I sold a decade or so ago when my kids were small.  I'm ready to replace my 5.56 weapon.

I need help on which manufacturers to consider: Armalite, Bushmaster, custom shops, etc.

My Sporter was a rather "finicky" gun.  Failures to fire and extract were common if I didn't feed it exactly what it liked most.

So...who's got the most reliable guns now across a wide choice of ammo from 55 to 62 grain; and I guess 1:9 twist is the best choice overall, vs. the 1:7 of my old Colt?

Thanks all.

CS[8P]
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bushmaster which feeds anything. I'm not sure that you can by one out of the box now that will not be a reliable weapon. I chose the Bushmaster because it was readily available in my area and it is priced better than the Colt.
Link Posted: 7/23/2001 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
You must have had the proverbial lemon.

My Sporter Match HBAR has eaten everything I've feed it.

The 1:9 twist is more popular now, and with good reason. It is a more versatile rate.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Nick 1950,

Are new Colt's still available to the general public?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I would seriously consider bushmaster!
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Armalite - Best Gun
Bushmaster - Best Buy
Colt - Best Resale Value
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top