Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2011 9:57:14 AM EDT
I have an 09 Suburban LT 2wd, I need to replace my tires, tread is worn out on the factory tires.

I am looking for something with a little more help on soft sandy roads, and normal driving.

What is out there?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Michelin LTX M/S is one of the best all-around tires ever made.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This is a great choice if you don't do anything more than just dirt road/city driving. Stick with a highway tread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the m/s and the m/s2 the something?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure. I have the M/S on my truck and I'm not familiar with the difference.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a great choice if you don't do anything more than just dirt road/city driving. Stick with a highway tread.

this. i had these on my tahoe before i lifted it and they were great and last forever
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#6]
My recommendation is also the Michilin LTX M/S.  The II is the newer version, replaced the m/s.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Michelin LTX AT2 here

I am happy

Galveston beach pix

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have an 09 Suburban LT 2wd, I need to replace my tires, tread is worn out on the factory tires.

I am looking for something with a little more help on soft sandy roads, and normal driving.

What is out there?

Thanks for the help

I've got the Michelin LTX M/S on the E-250. Great tire, expect the sidewall to rot out in a few years well before the tread is worn out. Decent on snow and ice, no noise on the freeway, and available in Load Range E which is what I have.

I have the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires on the Crown Vic and they're a bit noisier than the LTX M/S, but decent dry traction, no problems in the rain, and great in the snow. Just be aware that there are more voids with the BFG, so it is more suited for looser surfaces while the LTX is more suited for dry and wet surfaces on solid roads.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is out there?

Thanks for the help

I've got the Michelin LTX M/S on the E-250. Great tire, expect the sidewall to rot out in a few years well before the tread is worn out. Decent on snow and ice, no noise on the freeway, and available in Load Range E which is what I have.

I have the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires on the Crown Vic and they're a bit noisier than the LTX M/S, but decent dry traction, no problems in the rain, and great in the snow. Just be aware that there are more voids with the BFG, so it is more suited for looser surfaces while the LTX is more suited for dry and wet surfaces on solid roads.

Wait, you have truck tires on a car?

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is out there?

Thanks for the help

The BFG AT's come as small as a 215/60R15, iirc. But yeah, that's pretty odd to have on a car.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is out there?
Thanks for the help

The BFG AT's come as small as a 215/60R15, iirc. But yeah, that's pretty odd to have on a car.

Yep, I have Load Range C 215/70R16's on my Crown Vic, which came with 225/60R16. But the Town Car came with 235/60R16 tires in the same model year, which is only slightly shorter than the BFG's. The handling is compromised slightly due to the flexing from the sidewall, the narrower tread, and the traction is somewhat reduced. I can hear the tires howl when braking hard, turning quickly, or accelerating. The plus side is the ride is a lot softer, I have a bit extra ground clearance, and I have driven over curbs and through some mud a few times.
I got them because I was tired of getting new snow tires every 2 seasons, or constantly switching back to all-seasons in the spring. I couldn't find a set of all-seasons that would last long enough and could handle our snow. I thought of 2WD pickup trucks and BFG's came highly recommended.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got the LTXs on my Tahoe, and they do great. It's NOT an off-road tire, by any stretch. However, they wear like iron and actually increased my mpg by about 1.5 per gallon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I've got the LTXs on my Tahoe, and they do great. It's NOT an off-road tire, by any stretch. However, they wear like iron and actually increased my mpg by about 1.5 per gallon.

Interesting. That's just about how much I picked up too.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to have those on my truck.

They are superb in the snow and wet.

Not a dirt/off road tire.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I use mickey thompsons on my suburban k2500 and I love them. I have never gotten stuck with them. They are slightly noiser than the Michelin XLT but well worth it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
BFG T/A KO's. Worked great on the beach, even with an 8000# behemoth. This is from a summer trip to Corolla NC.  I since changed to Toyo's since I wanted to go bigger, but the BFG's were great.  Excellent tread life, low noise, not luggy. BFG's sizes are about 1.5-2" less than advertised by the way.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Another vote for "Michelin LTX"  Great ride and long wearing.  Been running a set of LTX/AT's for the last 7 years, almost 60K miles on a 94 Suburban 2wd.
Also great in the snow here in the North.  
Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I vote LTX M/S2's.  Also, the only difference that I am aware of between M/S and M/S2 is upgraded rubber compound.  Tread pattern is almost Identical.  Also if you dont have 4wd the BFG AT's are a bit much.  The michelins will work great for anywhere you will take the suburban.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#20]

30's

J/K.  Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my chevy truck at work are quiet on the road and go ok off road.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]
BFG's for the win
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 3:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]
These look like awesome snow tires.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I have four Michelin LTX AT's on my 2wd Tundra and they are GREAT. I went for the AT's because I occasionally am on wet / slippery boat ramps (w/ 5000 lb boat and trailer) and more often on  mud/rock farm trails and pastures. I will buy them again if these ever wear out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Check Costco.  They have Michelin's on sale.

http://tires2.costco.com/

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#25]

SSR's are not very good in the snow.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#26]
BFG All-Terrain T/A KO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 3:00:07 AM EDT
[#27]
First post and all that jazz.

I have them on a 99 suburban and they are performing great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDATE: Got the Michelin LTX M/S2 this week, look great, thanks for the recommendation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top