Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2005 7:02:27 AM EDT
I have just rescued a nice medium-sized dog from a shelter, and he's really sweet - too sweet to defend himself, me, and my wife from the trashy dogs and filthy criminals running around my sunny 'hood of Aurora, CO. If you've never been to Aurora, imagine the south side of Chicago, if it were dirtier, less industrial, and the tattooed-thugs were less polite. Nobody here understands the concept of "leash," and they've all got Pit Bulls and Rotweillers - typical MS13 crap. On a positive note, it never rains or snows, so you have an opportunity to see the Wal-Mart bags and broken beer bottles before your dog steps on them.

I can't carry a firearm, although I will be getting my CCW within a couple of months. Until then, my wife and I are walking Buddie around defenseless; I am thinking of making the Pooper-Scooper into a PIPEr-Scooper, via some Schedule 40 steel pipe and trip to Lowe's.

Will the local PD spotlight me if they see me walking around with a king-sized Pooper-Scooper?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you move? Not a smart alec question, but a serious one. Doesnt sound like you enjoy living there..

Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Cane

Pipe pooper scooper

OS spray, bear strength

Knife

Taser

Move
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was walking the SEC a few years ago, I carried a can of mace to keep the dogs away.

Only had 1 problem with 1 person, and that was settled with a non-duel of sorts.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have just rescued a nice medium-sized dog from a shelter, and he's really sweet - too sweet to defend himself, me, and my wife from the trashy dogs and filthy criminals running around my sunny 'hood of Aurora, CO. If you've never been to Aurora, imagine the south side of Chicago, if it were dirtier, less industrial, and the tattooed-thugs were less polite. Nobody here understands the concept of "leash," and they've all got Pit Bulls and Rotweillers - typical MS13 crap. On a positive note, it never rains or snows, so you have an opportunity to see the Wal-Mart bags and broken beer bottles before your dog steps on them.home.earthlink.net/~rwarnersister/anim_rolleyes.gif

I can't carry a firearm, although I will be getting my CCW within a couple of months. Until then, my wife and I are walking Buddie around defenseless; I am thinking of making the Pooper-Scooper into a PIPEr-Scooper, via some Schedule 40 steel pipe and trip to Lowe's.

Will the local PD spotlight me if they see me walking around with a king-sized Pooper-Scooper?

Brudda, I dont even know how to respond to such a lame q  first of all its better to be tried by twelve then carried by six.  In other words if your so worried pack heat anyway!!!!!  If you try using a P.S. as a weapon by some gangbangers they will laugh, shoot you and the dog and rape your wife for fun.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have to dispatch a dog, who's gonna know it was consealed?

Who's word are they going to believe? You, with sweet Buddy on a leash....or dirt bag with a roaming dog of war?

I'm not bashing Pits

-HS
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:13:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#7]
OC has always worked on dogs for me

* post contains personal opinion only*
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know what is legal in your state, but this is what I would carry: impact weapon (26" ASP or similar), Fox Labs OC spray (medium fog spray, not stream), small fixed blade knife (perhaps a boot knife).  That way you've got 3 levels of response.  Spray first, if that fails to stop the threat, then break out the baton, and so forth.  Or whatever is appropriate for the situation.  Also, look into an unarmed self defense class.  Make sure it's taught by a reputable instructor and focuses on situational awareness and actually teaches you how to fight back instead of just defending.  Defense alone will not stop an attacker.  That's what I would do.  Hope it helps.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
What are Colorado's open carry laws like?  Since you don't have a CCW I'd open carry if it was legal.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What are Colorado's open carry laws like?  Since you don't have a CCW I'd open carry if it was legal.  

NC is an open carry state, that doesn't mean my neighbors wouldn't freak if they saw me strolling down the street with a gun on my hip.

-HS
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Jeez!

I was raised in Aurora, but moved out of state with my parents when I was 4 years old. I had no idea it had gotten that bad.

Our house was on DelMar parkway 3 houses up from the High School.

I'd have to agree with CammoGhost. Carry concealed anyway and protect yourself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#12]
More that I think about it...Doesnt sound like an area where a guy walking with a pooper scooper would look 'normal'.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Jeez!

I was raised in Aurora, but moved out of state with my parents when I was 4 years old. I had no idea it had gotten that bad.

Our house was on DelMar parkway 3 houses up from the High School.

I'd have to agree with CammoGhost. Carry concealed anyway and protect yourself.

I live near Sable and Jewell. I had some criminals spotlighting me from their MS13-mobile the other night. Made me real uncomfortable. Aurora's gotten pretty bad. I'm not secure enough in my new career to move us to Parker, where the most threatening thing is the size of your neighbor's beer belly.

It used to be nicer here, but the immigrant invasion has left my neighborhood filled with vatos and broken Corona bottles, Jalisco containers and McDonald's bags.

I like the suggestions of the OC pepper fog, the ASP (where do I get these?) and the boot knife.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NC is an open carry state, that doesn't mean my neighbors wouldn't freak if they saw me strolling down the street with a gun on my hip.

-HS

I agree with you but it sounds like this guys neighbors NEED to know he's armed
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#15]
You can get most of these items from any police supply company, here's the ones I like:

www.reddiamondonline.com
www.selfdefenseproducts.com
www.productwizard.com
www.onestopcopshop.com
www.copsplus.com

I'm sure there are many more.  I've had good dealings with Red Diamond, fast shipping and reasonable prices.  You can get a boot knife almost anywhere, I like these folks, Smoky Mountain Knifeworks.  My friend has the one from Camillus, and it's a pretty good knife.  The S&W's, United, Bear, Frost, and the other el cheapo models are, IMO, not worth having.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#16]
You must move out of Aurora. For all the reasons that you stated. You don't have to move to Parker to get away frwom the ghetto trash. Moving in to Denver would work just fine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have just rescued a nice medium-sized dog from a shelter, and he's really sweet - too sweet to defend himself, me, and my wife from the trashy dogs and filthy criminals running around my sunny 'hood of Aurora, CO. If you've never been to Aurora, imagine the south side of Chicago, if it were dirtier, less industrial, and the tattooed-thugs were less polite. Nobody here understands the concept of "leash," and they've all got Pit Bulls and Rotweillers - typical MS13 crap. On a positive note, it never rains or snows, so you have an opportunity to see the Wal-Mart bags and broken beer bottles before your dog steps on them.home.earthlink.net/~rwarnersister/anim_rolleyes.gif

I bought and carried a Cold Steel Mace for that same reason.  One swing, no matter where it hits, will likely take any K9 out of the fight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm wondering what the reaction of the Aurora PD would be if they saw Mr. Citizen here waltzing around with a mace. The earlier poster who suggested that I pack heat has some good points about needing a gun and having it safely esconsed within my domicile, while I'm traipsing across the neighborhood unarmed. "Fuck the law" may be the attitude that only lands me in jail, instead of an aluminum box.

I'd prefer to be seen by Los Vatos and careless dog owners as armed. I'm not a big, muscle-bound killer or anything like that, so a three-pack of Aurora beauties might feel okay about interdicting me, wifey, and Buddie unless I give off a visually threatening appearance of wielding a weapon. Open carry is allegedly legal in Colorado, but I can assure you that a Glock 23 affixed to a Sam Browne belt over my jacket would have me in jail within a day, legal or not.

Is it against the law in Aurora, CO to carry around a pipe or a stick?
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Get a strong enough leash so you can twirl the dog above your head like a medival whip flail, then lay the canine whiplash on those suckas that want to step. Helps if you wear tights and grow a mustache.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Are black powder revolvers considered firearms by your state? Some sets of laws overlook black powder weapons so you might get by with carrying a concealed BP revolver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Are black powder revolvers considered firearms by your state? Some sets of laws overlook black powder weapons so you might get by with carrying a concealed BP revolver.

That ain't a half-bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay, I have equipped myself with a three-level response - I made a very impressive PIPEr-Scooper from aluminium pipe (with iron pipe screwed into the "business-end"), some OC pepper spray (the kind for bears... da BEAARSSS! ), and a 3.25" fixed-blade Buck. Fin' thing's razor sharp, too - I could literally shave with it!

Concealed Carry class is March 19th at Gander Mountain. An old co-worker teaches it, so it ought to be fun. I will be carrying my Glock 23 concealed during our nighttime walk, that's for sure. For everyday carry, I have a kel-tec p-32, although I am thinking of trading it in on a .380 model...

I have already had some shitty little homeboy talk trash to me and my wife. I menaced him with the PIPEr-Scooper and he drove away like a real tough guy. Guess he was expecting me to puss out. I probably would have, if my wife wasn't there.

God, I love this 'hood. I am praying to God that I don't have to wave my firearm at any crimnals. I think I saw a break-in team drive into the back of an office building tonight during this evening's walk. I got a creepy feeling that they were looking me over.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#24]
carry anyway.

if the place is like you say it is, I dont think police would investigate a bullet ridden low-life's corpse.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#25]
How about this?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#26]
My understanding is that colorado is an open carry state. I.E. no permit required to tote a gun as long as it's visible.

When i was 16 I was visiting some family in CO (uncles a sherrif there, and we were on the way to the range) and we went in a burger king and there was a guy with a 6-shooter on his hip in an old syle leather holster standing in the order line. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. Since I have open carried many times now it's not such a big deal.

Trust me open carry will make people stay away from YOU. No need for you to avoid them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am praying to God that I don't have to wave my firearm at any crimnals..

You'll hear this in your CCW class, but I'll repeat it here.

You don't wave a firearm.

Either the situation has reached a pitch where deadly force is appropriate or it hasn't.

If it has reached that point, then you don't brandish your gun.  You "skin that smoke-wagon and go to work."  You don't wave it.  The first time the baddies see the gun should be the muzzle flash right before they are dead.   You scream "stop stop" as you're drawing, and as you're shooting, and you tell the attending officers that you drew your weapon when the guy wouldn't stop, and you feared for your life. There had better be a weapon or a serious numerical disadvantage or you'll be in trouble.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My understanding is that colorado is an open carry state. I.E. no permit required to tote a gun as long as it's visible.

When i was 16 I was visiting some family in CO (uncles a sherrif there, and we were on the way to the range) and we went in a burger king and there was a guy with a 6-shooter on his hip in an old syle leather holster standing in the order line. I thought it was pretty cool at the time. Since I have open carried many times now it's not such a big deal.

Trust me open carry will make people stay away from YOU. No need for you to avoid them.

Pretty much anywhere in the Denver metro area (which includes Aurora) open carry will get you picked up for disturbing the peace or brandishing.   And the Courts will not protect you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:35:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Airsoft gun...you'd be so 1337, no one would mess with you.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:57:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Based upon what you've written and the question you've had to ask:

There is no excuse to stay in that town!  

Move your sorry ass!  

Be a man, do what 's right - move out!

It is your responsibility to your wife.  

Nothing else said here makes any sense at all.
What I'd carry:

heavy duty leash (attached to dog),
pooper scooper (with "robust" QD handle, open carry),
trash bag (open carry)

Flashlight with strike bezel (on belt),
OC spray (on belt, compact size),
cell phone (open carry),

45ACP pistol (concealed),
spare magazine (concealed),

Do not brandish.  If trouble happens, leave if you can.

Do not open carry or you will be killed without warning.  It's too much of a challenge and a threat to the infantile, criminal mind.

What I wouldn't carry:  

knife, as they say - never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Airsoft (just exactly how stupid is that suggestion?)

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Get your dog a friend:

CW
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Do not open carry or you will be killed without warning.  It's too much of a challenge and a threat to the infantile, criminal mind.

This was my thought exactly.

Remember the Gorilla mentality of thugs. Eye contact is a challenge that they feel must be put down with brutal force  ("What you lookin' at, sucka?!").

I wouldn't risk the open-carry display of your firearm, on the chance that this is a direct challenge ("Fuggin' white bread thinks he's safe in my 'hood, just by carryin' a piece. Let's go teach that white bread a lesson!").

Similarly, I wouldn't risk the chance of inviting some skinny hoodlum who thinks he could get the drop on you, to relieve you of your expensive, reliable, high-quality weapon while you're using your Piper-scooper to scoop pipe.

Criminals are predators, and think like basal predators. They will never face you in a stand-up fight to get gunned down. Some 'hood will be window shopping for his next easy score, spot you displaying your $1000 gun, and wait behind a trash can to jump you from behind and crack your skull to steal your gun. He merely sees you as his next meal ticket (or drug binge, or whatever).

I would, however, carry the gun concealed, and do exactly as Mike_Mills outlined (and as I'm sure you'll learn in your CC course).

Go read Ayoob's The Truth About Self Protection, as he talks extensively about the criminal predator mentality and the only effective way to deal with them and live.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Wear a badge, that way other LEO's won't shoot your dog out of professional courtesy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wear a badge, that way other LEO's won't shoot your dog out of professional courtesy.

after watching "The Sheild" last night Get your dog a gun

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
A squirt gun full of ammonia is a nice deterrent for unfriendly, unleashed dogs.

For two-legged threats, an ASP baton might be nice.

Age old secret of paper delivery guys everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#36]
WTF is an

MS13-mobile
?

I feel so out of the loop after reading this thread!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Sheesh, you must be on the shithole side of Aurora or somethin, cause up here by Mississippi and 225 life isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Based upon what you've written and the question you've had to ask:

There is no excuse to stay in that town!  

Move your sorry ass!  

Be a man, do what 's right - move out!

It is your responsibility to your wife.  

Nothing else said here makes any sense at all.

+1
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Sheesh, you must be on the shithole side of Aurora or somethin, cause up here by Mississippi and 225 life isn't that bad.

Are you kidding me? With that Section 8 housing right on 225 and Mississippi, and that high school full of trash? You're telling me that you think this neighborhood is safe? I've got drug deals going down right in front of me three blocks down the road!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
WTF is an

MS13-mobile
?

I feel so out of the loop after reading this thread!

Mara Salvatruchas is a violent gang from Central America, which, ironically enough, started in L.A. and went south. They've got people in every city in the western half of the country.

Do a "Google" and you'll see what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:32:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Though I live in what's considered a good 'hood in NW Phoenix, I DO have some neighbors that are real trailer trash in regard to their dogs (NO training whatsoever) and restraining them (front doors and gates left open).

My little yappy dog and I have been set upon twice (no injuries) and "false charged" another 3 times (the charging dog stopped when I yelled at it and stepped between my dog and it).

I have taken to the following for walks:

Usually my Colt .380 in a pocket or my Sig .40 in a holster
My wallet with CCW permit
cell phone (to call the heat)
shaleileigh (better than an aluminum walking stick)
leather hiking boots (they prevented injury on the two occasions of contact-I kicked the fuck out of the dog and it left us alone)

I know I cannot shoot another dog for attacking mine, but if the dog attacks ME, on PUBLIC PROPERTY, it's bye-bye pooch.

I think the steel pipe pooper scooper is a great idea. CCW is even better, considering the gangsta element.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Just read up on MS13, I wasn't aware the problem was that bad.

But why should YOU move? You should move THEM out of your neighborhood. Get together with all the honest neighbors you have, take them shooting. Teach them all to shoot, encourage them to buy handguns and carry! A perfect opportunity to take people that might otherwise be anti-gun and demonstrate the usefulness of carrying!

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top