Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2008 12:45:52 PM EST
Can any of you officers from Louisiana tell me if Louisiana state code requires a license plate mounted to the front and back of the vehicle? If so can you refer me to the state code.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 1:08:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/27/2008 1:10:35 PM EST by tunatuk]
Rear only, no front plate required.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=102303
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 1:08:24 PM EST
Not an officer but I lived there for many years and no, Louisiana does not have any such requirement.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 1:25:12 PM EST
Thanks for the help. The reason I asked is because I had an individual I stopped in VA for no tag displayed on his vehicle. This individual was from LA and that is where his vehicle was registered from.

When I stopped he became disorderly to the extent that he was yelling and screaming, and jumping up and down in his seat.His behavior was litterally that of a child throwing a temper tantrum.

It turns out his temp. tag was displayed in the rear window but his tint was so dark you couldn't tell there was a tag there. We tried to give him a warning and advise him to display it where it was visible before continuing his trip back, but he would have none of it.

I issued him a summons for Virginia state code requiring his tags to be legible, visible and secured. He went nuts first refusing to sign, then stating he would sign it prejudice then calling me a racist.

Then the guy calls IA making accusations that I cursed at him, then he travels back to VA to fight his case and loses in court. So now he is appealing to Circuit Court.

I was looking for LA code that requires his tags to be displayed which I believe I found. LA code RS 47:521. But was also curious if LA required front and rear tags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 3:11:07 PM EST
That is the correct RS for temp tags. Thought you were looking for a hard license plate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 4:43:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By tunatuk:
That is the correct RS for temp tags. Thought you were looking for a hard license plate.

I was. I didn't realize that LA had separate codes for temp. and permanent tags. The requirements are the same for temp. and permanent in VA.
Top Top