Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2011 8:51:34 AM EDT
Well the title says it all.  Got a party to go to and not sure of the proper way of doing things.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Doing what, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:31:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess I should have said I need to know what not to do
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
mix their best scotch with coke.  they'll love you and appreciate your fine tastes.
ETA i wish i had cool friends who had scotch/cigar parties
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#4]

i wish i had cool friends who had scotch/cigar parties

QFT
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
mix their best scotch with coke.  they'll love you and appreciate your fine tastes.
ETA i wish i had cool friends who had scotch/cigar parties

If you really want to impress mix it with Dr. Pepper, or just ask for Four Loko.  Smoke the cigars as fast and as hot as possible.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It is customary for your first inch of ash to go into the host's drink.  This denotes deep and sincere appreciation for their generosity.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It is customary for your first inch of ash to go into the host's drink.  This denotes deep and sincere appreciation for their generosity.

The party is for a friend and I think his wife is setting everything up.  So I guess that makes her the host.  My friend is going to laugh his ass off when I dump my ash in his wife's drink
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Just dont puke on anything expensive & you are good.

Take a few extra smokes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just dont puke on anything expensive & you are good.

Take a few extra smokes.

Joking aside this is good advice.  Take some nice smokes.  If you like your Scotch neat then drink it that way.   If you are given a smoke smoke it to the 2/3rds mark if it is a dog rocket (to be polite) and nub it if it's good.

Wash the dog rocket taste out of your mouth with a good smoke that you brought (and of course distributed to your host and other attendees).

The Slavac herf methodology should be employed.  "show up with a liter under each arm and at least a box of sticks."  I don't know if I got the quote exactly right but you get the spirit of the statement.

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Remove the bands from the cigars you bring.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]

don't ash your cigar every few seconds.   Wait until the ash is about ready to fall off on its own.

Bring some sticks for everyone else.  

If someone hands you an Acid they are not your friend or they have horrible taste in cigars.  

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Old School...I like it.  That's what we used to do at the shop as well.  Kept the customers intrigued.  However, that trick didn't work with the original Oliva Master Blends.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#13]
It's "Whisky" not Scotch.  Scotch is a child's game played while hopping.

Whisky is not mixed with anything.  If you must dilute it because you're smarter than a master distiller, one ice cube or a small splash of pure water.  Personally, when I drink whisky, I drink whisky.

Bourbon is also an excellent choice.  Jim Beam may be inexpensive, but it goes great with a good cigar.  

Rum's great with a cigar also.

Good cigars.  If you buy them at the gas station at least take them out of the wrapper and break the plastic tips off.

Leave the ash alone.  When it gets to about an inch, gently tap it off.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#14]
this one applies to any social setting... do not be the know it all guy
yea we all know what im talking about, dont be THAT guy.
any and all brands that arent the one he has in his hand are all garbage.
he prefers a brand of scotch nobody has ever heard about from some far exotic island.

do bring a bunch of sticks. maybe you will convert some people on a brand
i usually bring a seperate humidor with some flavored junk. it never fails somebody or somebodies girlfriend/wife will want something in their hand that "smells good"
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I suppose it depends on the people that will be there and what kind of party is being thrown.  You could bring a decent single malt and a bunch of cigars to trade with people if everyone there will be doing the same.  If you show up and you are the only person that has done so then you will end up with an empty bottle and no cigars which is counter productive if you aren't the host.

Obviously ashing as if you were smoking virginia slims is faux pas but you also don't want to drop ash on someones floor because you think that you can smoke 2/3 of your stick before you need to and then find out you were wrong.

Don't offer internet information about the drink or the smoke unless asked.  Smoking is a personal thing and different people have different preferences.  Nothing is more annoying than having someone tell you how to smoke your cigar or drink your drink.  That being said, if somone offers you something and you don't know how to prepare the drink or properly light the cigar it would probably get you a lot more points if you ask someone rather than making yourself look like a total classless noob (think dumping a bunch of ice and diet coke into a guy's favorite 20 year old islay scotch that he offered to let you sample).

Good news is that if you are asking you are probably cognisant enough of your knowledge base to be a good guest.  Although, you have been on here for quite a while so you aren't a noob.  I am guessing you are just being overly cautious so that you get invited back!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the advice.  This will be the first time for me to smoke with experinced cigar smokers.  Along with me never drinking scotch before.  My cigars that I'm planning on bringing is Ashton VSG, Cain 660, MOW figaro,Camacho Habana, Olvia V
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a very good mix but don't forget some Benchmades...there will most likely be folks that want a stick just to fit in.
They will be blown away by the Camachos and the like.

Also...for scotch...single malt...and you don't have to spend a fortune.
They can get quite pricey.
Bowmore or McClelland is a good start but talk to the operator. They can help lead you as well.

Remember....this is a party and I think you said you weren't the only one playing supplier.
Others will bring stuff and hopefully you will have a good mix!

Don't forget to have a good time!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

don't ash your cigar every few seconds.   Wait until the ash is about ready to fall off on its own.

Bring some sticks for everyone else.  

If someone hands you an Acid they are not your friend or they have horrible taste in cigars.  

Amen.

Acids don't go with ANYTHING.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old School...I like it.  That's what we used to do at the shop as well.  Kept the customers intrigued.  However, that trick didn't work with the original Oliva Master Blends.

It used to be considered bad taste to leave them on at a herf, kind of like leaving the price tag on a nice shirt.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:59:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't have anything to add since I'm a newb. I just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread since I'm learning a lot.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Those are good smokes imho. All good advice too! Have fun!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:20:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It used to be considered bad taste to leave them on at a herf, kind of like leaving the price tag on a nice shirt.  

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:37:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been aware of this practice.  
Most of the time it ends up in a what are you smoking conversation with everyone comparing bands.   I tend to smoke with a very eclectic group of people with a very diverse level of income throughout the group.  
From millionaires to people that are making less than 40K  and it's never been an issue.  

Not saying you're wrong and it makes perfect sense to take off the bands, I've just never thought of it that way.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Most of the time it ends up in a what are you smoking conversation with everyone comparing bands.   I tend to smoke with a very eclectic group of people with a very diverse level of income throughout the group.  
From millionaires to people that are making less than 40K  and it's never been an issue.  

Not saying you're wrong and it makes perfect sense to take off the bands, I've just never thought of it that way.

I don't know if many people still practice this custom today, but it was kind of an equality thing.  The guy with the bundled cigar was the same as the guy with the cigar from the ISOM.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know if many people still practice this custom today, but it was kind of an equality thing.  The guy with the bundled cigar was the same as the guy with the cigar from the ISOM.

We've done that sort of thing before but stopped as folks really wanted to know what they were smoking so if they liked/hated it, they'd know how to plan their future purchases.

That has also been my experience.

We did a "replacement band" event once...you remove the factory brand and replace it with once we supplied.
You could add your own letters/numbers.
After the event was over, you could see the host and get the identity of the stick you liked or really disliked so you could look for it or look to avoid it.

Lately we just bring them and leave the bands alone.
The arguments have been about the drink brought.
Some of us bring a nice single malt (as the invitation states) while some still bring a cheap blended swill....now that starts a fight!
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've done that sort of thing before but stopped as folks really wanted to know what they were smoking so if they liked/hated it, they'd know how to plan their future purchases.

We did a "replacement band" event once...you remove the factory brand and replace it with once we supplied.
After the event was over, you could see the host and get the identity of the stick you liked or really disliked so you could look for it or look to avoid it.

Some of us bring a nice single malt (as the invitation states) while some still bring a cheap blended swill....now that starts a fight!

For those who bring crappy drinks, they get Quorums.  Nothing but Quorums.  

We also kill them. but we make them smoke the Quorum first.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's why you're the mod.  I've been doing it backwards and ending up with Quorums

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Have a cutter and lighter in your pocket.  You don't want to be wondering around trying to find someone more prepared than you with a decent cutter and lighter.

If you're not a Scotch drinker that's fine, stick to the more mild types.  Also, just pour a small amount in your glass and refill as necessary.  Nothing says A-hole like filling a glass to the top with someone's Lagavulin.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Have a cutter and lighter in your pocket.  You don't want to be wondering around trying to find someone more prepared than you with a decent cutter and lighter.

If you're not a Scotch drinker that's fine, stick to the more mild types.  Also, just pour a small amount in your glass and refill as necessary.  Nothing says A-hole like filling a glass to the top with someone's Lagavulin.

Ill have my xikar with me and will stop at walmart and pick up one of those blue cylinder blow torches
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be out of the White Owl Grape cabinet selection.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Every thing went well I think.  Got past the hammered mark and now paying for.  Thanks for all the advice guys.  Im going to grab a gatoraid and water and go back to bed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top