Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/29/2005 11:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 11:22:10 PM EDT by Dace]
I was in a pawnshop today and eyed a double action revolver. The tag stated it was .45 ACP. I passed on it as I was in a hurry. Nowe thinking back I am thinking of buying it. If I remember correctly the handgun looks almost exactly like this. As in the thin rounded barrel, large looking frame, etc.

Can anyone tell me about this handgun? What should I be looking at when checking it out. Is the $300 a good deal?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:19:39 AM EDT
If that's it in close to that condition its well worth the $300. 1917 Colt military models in original condition go around $500. If you don't want it send me a PM with info, I'm interested.

Rgg
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:10:09 AM EDT
yep...sounds like an old Colt Miltary and Police revolver....nice shooters.... and if it is in good shape and has a good bore you'll enjoy it for a nice lazy day of paper punching...I'd buy it
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:11:26 AM EDT
Colt New Service or M1917. These revolves are built like brick shithouses and have old world craftsmanship that you won't find any more.

Check for British proof marks. The British contract revolvers were chambered in .455 Eley, but many were converted to 45 ACP by shaving the back of the cylinder down and using full moon clips. The problem is the companies who reimported them back to the states did shoddy work on the conversions.

I found my British contract New Service in a pawn shop for $175.00. The conversion had been botched and it would pierce primers on one of the cylinders and have light strikes on the opposite one. I took it to a cowboy action gunsmith I knew and after some work he was able to convert it to 45 long colt ( an original New Service caliber).

If it's a commercial New Service in 45 ACP or an M1917, you should be ok. Just give a good checkup and be prepared to find a few small problems and some wear for $300.00. Just beware these things are addictive.

FWIW, Harrison Ford did use one in "Radiers of the Lost Ark" (along with several other pistols).
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:05:15 AM EDT
holy shit, i'll take it!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:49:26 AM EDT
So I asked to actually look at the gun on my lunch break today. Turns out the knowledgable employees at the pawn shop marked the tag as a Colt M17 when it is really a S&W M17. Serial number 196674 with a brazilian crest on the side and date stamped 1937. This gun was manufactured prior to WWII and sent to Brazil with the first half of a contract for 20,000 pistols.

The action locks up nice, appears all original. But there is hradly any finish left with some patena on most of the gun.

I am going to pass as I am not in the market for a .45 ACP revolver and its not such a good deal now. If it had been a Colt I probably would have bought it if it was a true M17.

Oh well, thanks for the help.

Top Top