Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 9:38:43 AM EDT
What does the AVERAGE-operative word here- AVERAGE Iraqi think of the US and our GIs?

Love us? Hate us?

I already have a clue, but I need it in writing for a lib.

thx, Pic, out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The average Iraqi, would prefer that we DID NOT have to be there, but they are very aware of the security situation, and want the American's to stay in Iraq until the violence stops.  2nd tour over here, this time as an Iraqi Army advisor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with what was siad above. Yesterday I had to gaurd some Iraqis doing some crane work on post. I talked with one of them. He was 50ish, muslim, married 36 years, one son and daughter.

He is glad that saddam is gone but he just kept on aksing me why the insurgetns kill iraqs. I tried to tell him but he couldnt understand me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid double post
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The average Iraqi, would prefer that we DID NOT have to be there, but they are very aware of the security situation, and want the American's to stay in Iraq until the violence stops.  2nd tour over here, this time as an Iraqi Army advisor.

Can i say that even though they do not want us to HAVE to be there that they are glad we are?

Nobody wants a foriegn army in their country, but sometimes they see the need.

ETA a clarification. If POTUS threw a coup and we became a dictatorship and someone came in and ousted him, I would be happy he was gone, but WISH the outside army didn't have to come in.

Same-same?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
The good Imams are telling the locals it's OK to work for us as long as the work benefits the Iraqi people. I saw this first hand. Kinda like reading between the lines in the Koran.

Your average iraqi just wants a job and take care of his family. Same as us. True, they are glad we are there but want us gone as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Duh, Gee.

You guys must be lying to me because I saw on CNN............

ETA, thanks, guys.

I sorta didn't think that the media had a clue.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My bud is over there right now. He has told me that the average Iraqi doesnt love or hate us, they are just scared. They know that the bad guys are the ones blowing them up and know the US is helping best they can, but they just want life a usual just like everyone else. So he said that sometimes they get nervous and pissed that this is going on but it is just because they are scared to death of the hajis.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't speak for Iraq, but the Average Afghan here likes us being here. The rest are indifferent, with less than 10% not liking us.... plus all the outsiders that come to die.

Alot of it is because we are providing what they never had. Roads, jobs, a chance to freely elect their government.

And we treat them nice.

We had a flat on a specialized piece of IED-hunting equipment the other week, and the socket for the lugnuts broke. We went down to the nearest town to a tire shop and rented one. When we returned it, the shop owner had a meal laid out for us, and told us that we were so much better than the russians... had it been the Russians they would have come in, taken it, and never returned it. I gave him $2 and a LED light, gave his kids some cookies, and he was thrilled.

Perhaps if the Iraqi's had a few years of Soviet occupation they would see us in a different light.................
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in the Sunni Triangle, and the average Sunni hates us.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Stryker,

Is the memorial wall still up in your big maintenance bay?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been to villages where they offer you whatever food they have and I've been to villages where the parents would literally slap their kids to the ground for waving at us.  I've been to villages where they did both depending on what end of the village they happen to be on.  I've had 8 year olds wave at me and 8 year olds flip me off.  The "Average Iraqi" and the "Average American" are like the "Average Unicorn".  In other words they don't exist.  You've got Arabs, Kurds, Turkomen and gods knows what else over here and the only thing they have in common is that they all hate each other and have for so long that they don't even remember why.  Will they ever change, who know's, I leave here in 2 weeks and to be quite honest, I just don't give a shit anymore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Stryker,

Is the memorial wall still up in your big maintenance bay?

Yes it is, and regrettably, we have created a new one for the 28th ID and 3rd ID soldiers in the task force that sacrificed otheir lives here. It is made of 2 Texas barriers on either side of a flag pole up next to the battalion TOC on the runway. Pretty nice set up. I just pray we don't have to add any more names before we leave here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I depends on the area from my observation. With the area I am in right now they absolutely hate us and truly do wish harm on us everyday. Yes, that is the general public opinion from my area. They will be friends when you face them and stab you in the back any chance they can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've been to villages where they offer you whatever food they have and I've been to villages where the parents would literally slap their kids to the ground for waving at us.  I've been to villages where they did both depending on what end of the village they happen to be on.  I've had 8 year olds wave at me and 8 year olds flip me off.  The "Average Iraqi" and the "Average American" are like the "Average Unicorn".  In other words they don't exist.  You've got Arabs, Kurds, Turkomen and gods knows what else over here and the only thing they have in common is that they all hate each other and have for so long that they don't even remember why.  Will they ever change, who know's, I leave here in 2 weeks and to be quite honest, I just don't give a shit anymore.

The  above is about as close to the truth to this question as I could answer.
I have almost 5 months in country as a Police Advisor and have worked closely with both Kurds and Arabs and the hate does run deep.
Deeper than just about any American can understand.
Beankeeper , you left out the Christians , they hate all the Muslims (Kurds and Arabs) and the few I work with tell me almost daily how much they love seeing Arabs kill Arabs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top