Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2013 3:57:41 PM EDT
I posted this in the rimfire section a couple days ago with no luck so far so I'm posting here to reach a wider audience.

One of my relatives has an old Model 60, or actually a box of parts that used to be a Model 60. As the family "gun guy" I was asked to put the gun back together and get it working. A couple small parts and the inner magazine tube were missing from the box.

There were supposedly several different styles of tubes used by Marlin over the years. I called Numrich since they apparently have the largest selection of old Marlin parts around. I told them what part I needed and gave them the serial number.

The tube arrived but it doesn't fit the magazine. The notch on the mag for this gun is totally different thn the l shaped cutout I've always seen on model 60s.

I called Numrich and they've yet to figure it out. They say that based on the serial number that this should be the correct part but its clearly not.

I called Marlin and they couldn't help. They gave me numbers for a couple vendors who were also stumped.

Can anyone tell me from this pic which model 60 this is, which tube I have and which tube I need?

I know somewhere between jack and shit about old Marlins so any help would be greatly appreciated. I can get more pics if needed.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like you have the outside tube pushed to far in. It should stick out of the retainer sleeve about 3/8" towards the end of the barrel. There is a roll pin that holds the outside tube in the sleeve.

Give me a minute and I will take a picture of mine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like you have the outside tube pushed to far in. It should stick out of the retainer sleeve about 3/8" towards the end of the barrel. There is a roll pin that holds the outside tube in the sleeve.

Give me a minute and I will take a picture of mine.
View Quote

This,  the mag tube itself is too deep inside the receiver.   You don't have any cutouts showing
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure it's a model 60 and not a 75?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely an older model with the full length tube. It looks like the right length magazine follower tube.  The spring holds tension to keep it seated.  All the ones I have seen or worked on have the "L" shaped locking lug that the follower will twist into.  It almost looks like it has been modified. Depending on how much you were willing to do you could trim up the spring and brass follower to length and use a dremel to cut out a new locking L channel in the end to get it functioning, might loose capacity by a round or two though.  Maybe get a new front sight assembly that has the locking channel.  Just my 2 cents.

Edit: or just pull out the mag tube a bit if thats the prob
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Model 60 Marlin.....I am in the man cave and just snapped this one.....this gun is 33 years old....

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Model 60 Marlin.....I am in the man cave and just snapped this one.....this gun is 33 years old....
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/ma1_zps3d870e43.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/ma2_zps96ab2bfc.jpg
View Quote

That's exactly what my 12 year old 60 looks like.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Definitely an older model with the full length tube. It looks like the right length magazine follower tube.  The spring holds tension to keep it seated.  All the ones I have seen or worked on have the "L" shaped locking lug that the follower will twist into.  It almost looks like it has been modified. Depending on how much you were willing to do you could trim up the spring and brass follower to length and use a dremel to cut out a new locking L channel in the end to get it functioning, might loose capacity by a round or two though.  Maybe get a new front sight assembly that has the locking channel.  Just my 2 cents.

Edit: or just pull out the mag tube a bit if thats the prob
View Quote
This.  Your locking point is broken/has been modified at some point.

Issue isn't the tube, it's that whole front sight assembly thing (since they look to be connected).

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I just looked at my Glenfield Model 60 and it is the same as yours. The sight block has moved forward on the barrel instead of the outside tube being to deep. The sight block has a allen head screw in the top in front of the post. Loosen screw and move block back should fix your problem.'

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just looked at my Glenfield Model 60 and it is the same as yours. The sight block has moved forward on the barrel instead of the outside tube being to deep. The sight block has a allen head screw in the top in front of the post. Loosen screw and move block back should fix your problem. Trying to upload pics of mine but photobucket is not cooperating.
View Quote

Yes, I believe you are correct! Thank you very much!

Well, it wasn't the case after all. I removed the set screw and the barrel is dimpled exactly where the screw was located.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
My '76 has the same setup as yours OP
However, there is only a little nub on my rod unlike your 1/8" post

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're still stuck, try on rimfirecentral.com

Lots of good Marlin info there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My '76 has the same setup as yours OP
However, there is only a little nub on my rod unlike your 1/8" post

http://rs188.pbsrc.com/albums/z248/zaskar017/20131212_205817_zpsc33a269c.jpg~320x480?t=1386900110
View Quote

This is the problem. The pin in the mag tube is far too long and won't allow the tube to slide in far enough to engage the L shaped slot which is concealed beneath the barrel sight base/mag clamp thing in the gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the lower tube has been modified or cut down or something, you should have more of that lower tube showing and it looks like someone cut a notch into it, not factory.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If it helps, here are a couple pics of my 1968 Glenfield Mod. 60.  In the first one you can see the notch in the sight block.  In the second, the pin.  I didn't take a second pic of the tube, but that pin actually goes all the way through, but its shaved smooth on one side and only about 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch sticks out where it does.  That slides into the sight block and twist to lock.

E:
Quoted:
Looks like the lower tube has been modified or cut down or something, you should have more of that lower tube showing and it looks like someone cut a notch into it, not factory.
View Quote

Mine is like that as well, from the factory.  It's been in the family since my dad bought it new in the 60's and it's never been worked on.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
It appears that there is nothing for the inner tube to hook into anyways.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It appears that there is nothing for the inner tube to hook into anyways.
View Quote

As it turns out the Glenfield has the standard Marlin 60 style L shaped pin catch cutout. On some of he Glenfields, such as this one, it's concealed under the sight base/mag clamp. It requires a MUCH shorter pin to clear the clamp.

After about 30 minutes of filing a couple microns at a time, I got it to fit.

Numrich sent me an inner mag tube with the longer pin which is far more common, apparently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top