Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 1:26:11 AM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=185009

This is turning into a couple of idiots cop bashing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:11:20 AM EDT
[#1]
 To Argue with some of them in  General Discussion about Law Enforcement is like pissing into the wind.
 Alot of them already have their minds made up about what they think of LEOs and automaticaly think the worst in every situation.
 Even when they are wrong , they are right. Nothing you can say will change their mind.
 I usually skip those threads because I know they will end up being a Cop bashing thread and I won't be any part of that.  Not even to defend.
 I don't feel the need to defend myself or the profession to those who feel the need to bash it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It amazes me the number of gun owners who think the average cop cares to harass law abiding gun owners.  Criminals take up enough time, and LOCAL COPS DONT ENFORCE FEDERAL GUN LAWS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#3]
bruh44, don't waste your time or energy with pin heads. They see conspiracy in everything. They resent the [i]perceived[/i] power of the police and the respect that the job brings us. They feel this way because they have little power in their own lives and get no respect from anyone. They have not evolved past their adolescent resentment of authority. It seems ironic to me that people who rant about how the Police are no better than anyone else and seem to have such low opinions of Police Officers in general, will hold Police to the highest standards. Then, they are eager to point out when a Police Officer does not live up to those standards. They base their arguments on emotions, stero-types and half truthes. They are angry at the Govt. They are so small minded that they can only focus on the most obvious symbol of Govt. authority, the uniformed Police Officer. Let them continue to flounder in the swirling cauldron of hell that is their empty, pathetic lives and small, little minds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
with the average legislative session it Texas enacting 200-500 new laws it's no wonder cop's don't know the law.  i don't think it's a big deal.  treat cops with respect and cops will treat you the same way and you can hash out the law in court.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Cop bashing is something that comes up on this board on a somewhat regular basis.  Don't argue with them because it does no good.  We all know there are idiot cops out there just like in every profession.  There are always people that have had bad experiences with cops so just ignore them and don't waste your time.

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Just so you guys know not all of us expect you guys to know every last gun law, There are just way to damn many.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Try as I might, I'm unable to say it any cleared than Sukebe!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Sukebe
Good point, I think Im done with that one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not a cop basher and I usually defend cops.  That said, even you guys have to admit that with some of the botched raids and the attitude of SOME cops, one does begin to wonder.  I have a carry license in Georgia and sometimes I am concerned because I might run into a cop who is a real dork.  I realize that the vast majority are not, but all it takes is one to ruin your day.

99 percent of the time, I have no problem with cops when it comes to carrying.  There have been 3 incidents in particular that have made me start to be concerned.

One was in Daytona where a Daytona cop told me that my Georgia license was no good (GA and FL have reciprocity) because NO states have reciprocity with each other.  Fortunately, his partner was a little smarter and everything worked out fine, but he had me concerned.

Second was where I was living at the time.  In Georgia, you are not required to show your license nor advise the officer you are carrying, but I always do both.  Well, this Tybee officer started to grab me and told me he was going to put me on the ground for informing him that I was carrying concealed, even though I had given him my license and was offering no resistance or belligerence.  He said my license was not a concealed carry license, even though he should have known better.  The only thing that backed him off was when I asked him if he was sure and that if he put me on the ground for no good reason, I would own him and the city.  I never get that way with a cop, but he was getting way overaggressive.  He backed off and told me that I better stop carrying concealed.  I called the state AG the next day and clarified the law with them and went and had a talk with his boss.

The third one wasn't really a hassle and was almost funny.  I got pulled over by Chatham County on my home to Tybee one night.  I informed him of my carrying and gave him my license.  He asked me to hand him the gun and he proceeded to run the serial number to see if it had been stolen (the only officer ever to do that).  That was fine and I understand why he would do that, even though I was perplexed as to why he would even consider that, given that I have a carry license and volunteered the information.  I heard him on the radio when the call came back that it was clean.  He then asked dispatch who it was registered to.  I said "Excuse me, but this is Georgia, not New York, we don't have to register them here".  He kind of chuckled and acknowledged what I said as being true.  We talked for a few minutes and he noticed the white ArmaLite box in the hatchback.  I told him was a brand new AR180B that I had just bought and asked him if he would like to see it.  I opened up the box and let him fondle it, we exchange pleasantries and I was on my way.  Every other time I have been stopped and I inform the officer that I am packing, they have all said that it was fine and basically just nonchalanted the matter.  One did say that as long as it was in the holster during our transaction, everything was cool.

I guess that what I am trying to say that it only takes a couple of idiots to have an effect on everyone's attitude.  There is one cop in that thread, I won't say his name, who I believe is particularly showing his ass and really is coming across as a complete fool.  I understand the he is just one and not all, not even most, are like him, but he seems to be enjoying fanning the flames.  I have read posts by this particular cop in other threads and basically he is an arrogant fool.  I am talking about just him, not all of you.  I respect you guys and would not want your job and when I am pulled over, usually for speeding[:D], I find that 99 percent of the time, if I am nice, the officer returns the courtesy.  In fact, more than once an officer has chosen to give me a warning instead of ticket due to my demeanor during a stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top