Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 4/19/2007 3:43:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2007 3:43:53 PM EDT by JimTh]
In my other thread I posted that WalMart TLE told me that my transfer case needed fluid. What I understood from the tech was that he removed the top plug, was not able to reach fluid with an allen wrench, so he tried to remove the bottom plug but was unable due to it being too tight. He told me I needed to take it to a shop where they could pump transmission fluid. He also said I was ok with it until I needed 4-wheel drive.

So, I checked the manual, they show a picture of the two plugs and tell me what type of fluid to use (Dexron-III). I went to Autozone and bought their equivalent of Dexron and got a fluid pump. Tonight I crawled under the truck and tried to locate the transfer case.

I found one case at the front and one case in the middle. It looks like power comes from the engine to the middle case, then goes on to the rear axle and can be switched on to go to the front case. So, based on his saying that I was fine until I needed 4wd, I went to the front case and very slowly removed the plug. Pale blue/green/yellow liquid came out so I quickly put the plug back in. Apparently it's not empty.

I went to the middle case. The plug requires an allen wrench to loosen. I have an allen wrench but no leverage due to bad angle.

Question is, is it the middle case that needs filled? Help!

ETA: Neither of the cases looked like the one in the photo in the manual.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:15:24 PM EDT
Your walmart guy is uneducated. All the gear boxes need proper lubrication.
The one behind the transmission, with the driveshafts connected to it is the transfer case. They usually take transmission fluid, unless its got autotrac.

The "front" case you refer to sounds like the front differential. It takes gear oil, same as the rear differential.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:43:19 PM EDT
Your front and rear differentials will take 90w gear oil...if you have a limited slip rear diff..there will be a tag on it requiring a fluid additive for limited slip.

Transfer cases on late Chevys use Auto-Trac fluid...it's blue...Yours may use either ATF [red in color] or the Auto Trac.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:50:31 AM EDT
Don't use ATF in any of the transfer cases that have "auto" mode, as ATF will not lube the clutchs in it, then it's transfer case rebuild time. Use only Auto-trak!!! If you don't have an "auto" mode of the transfer case is not a full time like in the Astro vans, ATF is ok.

To get the fill plug out you might need a socket that fits the fill/drain plugs, also if the plugs are tight try carefully warming the with a small torch. One other thing be sure to put teflon sealant on the plugs before reinstalling then just tighten them till they get snug, then pull just a bit more. i've had to take quite a few out by drilling them out and using a large broken bolt extractor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:13:33 AM EDT
Ok, my manual specifically says to put Dexron-III in the transfer case. My truck is a 2002 S-10 4wd automatic transmission with push-button 4wd.

Last night I got the 10mm allen wrench back out, put on a leather glove so I wouldn't rip my hand open when it broke loose and managed to get the top plug out. I used the giant syringe like thing I bought and put almost a quart of Dexron-III into the transfer case before it starting running out. The case wasn't empty, as I was able to get the wrench wet by reaching it down in there. Definitely low though.

Did I do right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:34:22 AM EDT
Sounds good.
Top Top