Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/30/2005 8:07:25 PM EDT
A former employer has asked me to consult for a specific project. The data I need for the project is in a 1998 computer…..no cd writer, usb port, but it does have a zip drive (100 mb, ide).

The computer won’t boot up. Boot up sequence ends in 8 beeps followed by two beeps (I don’t remember the windows beep codes). I can’t find boot disks or OS disks.

I THINK I have found the data on old 100 mb zip disks. (backup disks)

My plan is to remove the zip drive and install it in a more modern computer, then examine the disk contents and transfer the appropriate files to a cd or flash drive. If this fails, I am thinking about removing the HD, configure it as a slave and attach it to a more modern computer

I googled, but didn’t get a definite answer. Is XP backwards compatible with zip? Any suggestions?

SRM
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:24:33 PM EDT
sounds like a good plan, since it's host computer wont boot, slap it in another computer that will.

Another option is to slap a cd rom drive in the old computer and boot up with a Windows setup disk, but that would only allow you to possibly read the old data, not transfer it anywhere
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:29:15 PM EDT
You should have no problem installing the ZIP drive into a newer sytem with XP. You may need a driver for the ZIP drive, which XP should already have, but if not, that is easy to download from Iomega.

Removing the hard drive itself and installing it by setting the jumpers as a slave into another system should work too.

I am not up on my Windows error beeps either, but it might be that the BIOS battery is dead and it needs to be replaced. Once you lose the battery, you also lose the BIOS settings on the old system. Again, not the end of the world. You can replace the battery (normally a 3.5 volt battery) and then re-enter the hard drive specs (Number of heads, cylinders and sectors) which is usually found on the hard drive label and you are good to go. You might get lucky after you replace the battery and the system will "Auto-detect" the hard drive and things will automatically be restored.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:30:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/30/2005 8:37:06 PM EDT by JS1050]
Take the old HDD and temporarily mount it in place of the CD Rom in the new computer. Since the CD runs on a seperate IDE channel, you don't have to change the jumpers. Once your data is copied over, remove the old HDD and store in a safe place.

ETA: make sure the PC is powered down before connecting/disconnecting the IDE and power cables. You will hose the power supply (possible more) if you move the power plug when the pc is powered. I know this sounds obvious, but I've replaced a number of power supplies due to folks "hot swapping" disk drives and CD ROMs. The look on their face is always the same: priceless.

JS
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:32:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JS1050:
Take the old HDD and temporarily mount it in place of the CD Rom in the new computer. Since the CD runs on a seperate IDE channel, you don't have to change the jumpers. Once your data is copied over, remove the old HDD and store in a safe place.

JS

+
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:41:22 PM EDT
I have been surfing some. Seems that 8 beeps is award BIOS code for faulty video card.....hmmm, I am sure I have an old card around here somewhere. Might be a quicker fix.

Thanks! and keep the ideas coming.

SRM
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:42:50 PM EDT
bump for more ideas

SRM
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:45:30 PM EDT
I really really wanna say something mean but I'm trying to be nice so

If you honestly can't figure out how to move the Hard Drive from the computer to another broken one you might need to pass on this project.

Barry
Top Top