Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:51:45 PM EDT
I'm thinking about my next handgun purchase but I want it to be something that I can carry.  I'm thinking about the HK USP 9mm Compact, an XD 9m Compact, a Glock 17, or a Glock 19.

I haven't shot any of them yet but I want to get feedback about those handguns.

I really don't want any "don't get X because they suck".  I just need serious pros and cons about them.

Oh, and another thing is that I want the handgun to have a stainless slide.

Thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Glock 19 for carry. Easiest handgun to master as it has the same trigger pull for every shot and no buttons or levers to mess with.

Simple is better for a fighting handgun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
The XD is a great pistol.  I like it over the glock.  if you like the 1911 style grip get the XD.  You won't regret it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Get something more than a 9mm.

A 45 SUPER would be a good choice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get something more than a 9mm.

A 45 SUPER would be a good choice.

A .45 is just too much for me right now...I feel a lot more comfortable with a 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I DON'T like Glocks, but out of your choices, that would be my pick. The 19.

The only experience I have with the USPc is one magazine. I shot one mag and put it down. I didn't like anything about it and it just didn't feel right. That's only me though.

The finish on the XD seems to be crap, but other than that, they are OK, it sounds like. Seems kinda chintzy to me though.

To me, your best choice would be either the 17 or the 19, and if I remember correctly, you seem fairly small-boned, (no offense intended)  Most likely, the 19 would be the better choice, as it has a smaller grip and would be more concealable. Full size mags will fit, as well as the G18 mags for range fun.

Edit: I just saw the part about the slide. I'd still get the Glock and have it refinished.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The XD is a great pistol.  I like it over the glock.  if you like the 1911 style grip get the XD.  You won't regret it.  

Love my two XD's. Never a failure and always dead on target.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I DON'T like Glocks, but out of your choices, that would be my pick. The 19.

The only experience I have with the USPc is one magazine. I shot one mag and put it down. I didn't like anything about it and it just didn't feel right. That's only me though.

The finish on the XD seems to be crap, but other than that, they are OK, it sounds like. Seems kinda chintzy to me though.

To me, your best choice would be either the 17 or the 19, and if I remember correctly, you seem fairly small-boned, (no offense intended)  Most likely, the 19 would be the better choice, as it has a smaller grip and would be more concealable. Full size mags will fit, as well as the G18 mags for range fun.

I'm 5'2" and only 110 lbs.  so there is no offense taken.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That's cool.

380 ACP Glock.

They make two models great for CCW and carrying.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the HK USP 9mm.  It will be a far superior handgun than any of the others you mentioned.

No Compromise
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate everyone telling me what I should go with....But, WHY should I go with them?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Exactly what I was going to say.  I carried a Subcompact XD in 9mm for almost a year.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, I think simple is good.

It's all over but the shouting on a G19 for me.

$569 local with glock nitesights and 2x15 rderz
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
As far a handgun for CCW,your best bet would be a glock 19.It was said you are on the smallish side,for the capacity the glock has a narrow grip,however if you want a stainless slide and you have smallish hands,look into a kahr 9mm,its what I bought my wife.Think single stack glock.No safties,just a smooth double action trigger and very reliable.Here is a wright up on the piece

kahr 9mm
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Kahr p9.

At least check it out.  

Reliable
Compact
Single Stack magazine is good for smaller hands
Factory Night Sights available
Reputation for decent customer service
Can buy in 9mm or 40 SW
Lightweight
Stainless slide, available in blackened finish
No manual safety, pull it out and go

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I appreciate everyone telling me what I should go with....But, WHY should I go with them?  

The best way to pick one is to hold and fire them. Have your fired any of the weapons you listed?

For instance, I have fired a G19 many times, I don't like the way it fits in my hands and I don't fire it well, thats just me. The first time I held AND fired an XD, I knew I wanted one. It fit well in my hands and I fire it extremely well. I know the finish of the slide leaves alot to be desired, but I had one of my two slides refinished. The one that I did not refinish, still looks new, after almost two years.

It all depends on YOU!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
get both!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Compact XD.

My wife, whom you've met, is about your stature, and LOVES it. It's a great size.

I think the Glock 17 would be too big for your hands, (although you are free to fire mine and find out).

The 19 may fit better, but seriously, try the XD subcompact...its a great little gun.

IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Kahr p9.

At least check it out.  

Reliable
Compact
Can buy in 9mm or 40 SW
Lightweight

+1

I don't have one, but every Kahr owner I've talked to has gushed about them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#21]
As I'm sure you've been told, the Glock 19 is probably the pistol for you.

You want a shiney slide???  NO PROBLEMO!  The black finish on the Glock slide is just the parkerization.  This is exactly the same finish on your AR-15

Underneath the parkerization is the Tennifer finish, it is 3 microns deep, into the metal of the slide.  You can't wear it off or damage it, as it is basically "diamond hard".  Any comptent gun smith (or a truck driver or two ) can remove your sights, strip the slide, and bead blast it removing the parkerization.  

Again, remember, the Tennifer finish, which gives the Glock it's superior corrosion resistance is in the metal, not on top of it.

This has been done before, and is no big deal at all.  

ETA:  "Reasons" why you should consider the Glock 19:

*It's the lightest "full size" ie. 15 round magazine capackty 9mm on the market
*33 parts is less than 1/2 of most other pistols on the market
*Universal availability of accessories... you can find stuff like extra magazines... CHEAP!!!
*Very long service life... you will not wear it out!
*All parts are "drop in" meaning no gunsmith fitting of replacement parts.  Once you know how to break it down, you can do all minor repairs yourself if you are so inclined.  About as complicated as an AR-15 it is
*No external safeties means no "accidentally" tripping them off, the pistol is ALWAYS in one of two modes... chamber loaded or chamber empty... (of course all firearms are always loaded)
*The 9mm Glock is one of the most reliable handguns you can own, regardless of price!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The simplest solution is to have a cookout
OK follow me here, Post in the hometown forums that your having a cookout and providing beer....Us fellow Virginia brothers and sisters will come from far and wide. On average we're a well armed bunch,..We can bring a varied selection of sidearms for you to fondle, which ill make you much better informed in your selections

4 major points I'd like to stress:

1:I prefer Corona, but anything properly chilled will do.
2:I disagree that .45 to to much for you.
3:Pulled pork is good for me, or spare ribs
4:I prefer Corona.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
CZ P-01  or RAMI
Glock 19
Makarov if you want cheap
HK compact if you willing to pay it.
Kahr 9mm is nice as well

I would still go Glock or CZ
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Kahr p9 is a fine pistol.  The trigger's a little "interesting," but with practice you get used to it.  Very reliable pistol.  Also, I love sig's 229, but it's a little more complicated with the slide release and decocker.  I've gotten used to it however, and operating it has become second nature to me; the accuracy is also excellent.  For ease of operation and point-and-click function, however, the p9 is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
OK follow me here, Post in the hometown forums that your having a cookout and providing beer....Us fellow Virginia brothers and sisters will come from far and wide. On average we're a well armed bunch,..We can bring a varied selection of sidearms for you to fondle, which ill make you much better informed in your selections

LMAO!!!  Can't have a cookout.....we aren't even allowed to have grills at our apartment.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's cool.

380 ACP Glock.

They make two models great for CCW and carrying.

Yes, but IIRC, they can't be legally imported into the US.  I'm sorry, but if she can handle 9mm, carrying .380 in a 9mm sized frame is silly.

Of the choices given, I only have experience with the G19 & G17.  The G19 wins hands down for CCW.  You only give up 2 rounds, and the footprint is much easier to conceal.  The G26 is also nice, although many do not like the short grip.  I am more accurate with my G26 than my G19, however.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Springfield XD 9mm subcompact is my vote.

Why? Same as many of the reasons above.

The XD has a grip anlge more like a 1911 (IMHO, the most ergonomic handgun to begin with). In other words, just points naturally. Go to a local gunshop and just ask to handle one.

Reliability? I've only had one out of three XD's, on a brand new one that never coughed again.

And lastly, the trigger on the XD is SO much better than the Glock. Which to me aids tremendously in accuracy.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kahr p9.

At least check it out.  

Reliable
Compact
Can buy in 9mm or 40 SW
Lightweight

+1

Here's one who hasn't:  I got a PM9 and hated it.  It was very rough and unreliable even with factory ball ammo.  It was uncomfortable to hold, uncomfortable to shoot, and had a very stiff slide.  A gun that expensive should run perfectly out of the box and make me dinner to boot.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I see, you don't want your toothless Hillbilly relatives from the West coming too eh? Well, I was never one to crash a party....

I carry a Glock 19 because it goes bang every time, it's compact, has high mag capacity, simple to operate, simple to clean, I will wear out before it does, everyone makes holsters and acc. for them, it is very accurate for a stock pistol especially for its size, it was affordable, $340.00, it points well, so on and so forth, and they come in a stainless slide. Honestly, I can't think of any other pistol I would reccomend for you and your purposes.  The H&K is nice, don't get me wrong, but pricey, single/double action(I preffer single only). I don't have any experience with the XD line except for playing with one at a gun store.
How do you intend to carry it? That will make a difference. I carry my G19 IWB with a G-Code Kydex holster from Gunners Alley(thier customer service is impossible to beat by the way), and some C-Tac and Galco mag holders(usually just one Galco mag holder IWB) If you carry like this, make sure you get a GOOD belt, and I don't mean something from Walmart. I love my Don Hume 1 1/2" belt. A good belt can make a HUGE difference. Sorry to stray from the topic. Good luck, and I can bring my G19 and 17 to the cookout.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see, you don't want your toothless Hillbilly relatives from the West coming too eh? Well, I was never one to crash a party....

I carry a Glock 19 because it goes bang every time, it's compact, has high mag capacity, simple to operate, simple to clean, I will wear out before it does, everyone makes holsters and acc. for them, it is very accurate for a stock pistol especially for its size, it was affordable, $340.00, it points well, so on and so forth, and they come in a stainless slide. Honestly, I can't think of any other pistol I would reccomend for you and your purposes.  The H&K is nice, don't get me wrong, but pricey, single/double action(I preffer single only). I don't have any experience with the XD line except for playing with one at a gun store.
How do you intend to carry it? That will make a difference. I carry my G19 IWB with a G-Code Kydex holster from Gunners Alley(thier customer service is impossible to beat by the way), and some C-Tac and Galco mag holders(usually just one Galco mag holder IWB) If you carry like this, make sure you get a GOOD belt, and I don't mean something from Walmart. I love my Don Hume 1 1/2" belt. A good belt can make a HUGE difference. Sorry to stray from the topic. Good luck, and I can bring my G19 and 17 to the cookout.

Never! I myself happen to have actual toothless hillbilly relatives, though we prefer the term "redneck", I would never forget my roots.  The more the marrier so put the wheels back on the doublewide and point that badboy eastward caus Frootloop is buying the suds!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
USP
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#32]
While Glock is not my idea of a good looking gun, it is what I carry.
I have a G22 as my CCW and think its perfect. No external safety, just point and shoot.
Light weapon, very easy to handle, easy to deploy, very simple design.

Never had a jam, ftf, fte....nothing has gone wrong in thousands of rounds of practice drills.

Personally, I like steel....and it took me a while to warm up to a plastic pistol.....but I cant deny that of the 4 or 5 carry weapons I have used throughout the years, the G22 is by far the easiet to shoot defensively.

Good luck....whatever you purchase remember.....practice makes perfect.
Draw...double tap.....reholster......repeat.
When it becomes second nature....continue to practice anyway...you can never be 'too' good
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
the only 2 miniuses of the XD imo are the finish and mag pric/availablity--all of which i give the G19

i would get the G19

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Umm errr
<-------------
The XD is a decent pistol also  can't go wrong with either
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#35]
The H&K is a really fine pistol, but the slide is maybe a bit wide for concealed carry on a smallish person.  Also, the bore axis is high, making for a little more muzzle flip – though in 9MM that shouldn’t be a big issue.  If you’re going to carry it with the hammer down, the trigger might be a reach if your fingers are short.

The mag release is ambidextrous, which is good if you’re a lefty.  The decock lever is easy to get to for folks with short thumbs.

It’s also IMHO overpriced.  And magazines are way overpriced.

The Glock 19 would be my recommendation.  It’s compact, reliable, and reasonably priced (as are it’s magazines).  It doesn’t have a stainless slide, but it has a very durable finish – so that really isn’t an issue unless you want a shiny slide.  (I’m not sure why you said you wanted a stainless slide and then listed the Glocks?)

My biggest complaint about Glocks is the fact that you have to pull the trigger on it before being able to field strip it.  I also dislike the absence of a double strike capability, though that doesn’t seem to bother most folks.  

The Glock 17 is pretty much the same thing in a slightly larger package.

I’ve never fired an XD.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Glock 19.

It is lightweight....that helps if you're gonna be packing it all day.

It has a terrific finish that's very resistant to corrosion and rust, another plus in a carry gun.

It is rugged despite having a polymer frame. It will stand up to thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo and it's good to go with +P loads.

The 19 is more compact than the 17, fitting you a bit better.

It has no external safety or decocker to have to fiddle with in a stressful situation. You just draw, aim and shoot. Simplicity and ease of use is important. But do keep it holstered in a good holster that covers the trigger so you don't have any unintended discharges.

Magazines are cheap and the Glock 19 offers a capacity that's as large as many pistols that are much bigger. Try buying magazines for an H&K USP variant sometime. They are very expensive and hmuch harder to find.

There are tons of accessories readily available for the Glock 19 everywhere. Holsters, magazines, etc. Many of the other models on your list don't share that level of popularity.

And last but not least, the Glock 19 is proven and very reliable. It's been around much longer than some of the other models on your list.  Reliabity is key with a personal defense gun and the Glock's is as good as any.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#38]
fruitloop, if you ever do get a Glock, take the
time to practice dry firing it.
It will save you a LOT of time getting familiar with
the way it shoots.
The Glock is very susceptible to going off target
when when held and shot improperly
It happened to me until I learned to shoot mine properly.
I have a 21, 22 and a 23.
Dry fire it a lot if you get one.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Glock 19:

The best handgun ever produced.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kahr p9.

At least check it out.  

Reliable
Compact
Can buy in 9mm or 40 SW
Lightweight

+1

+1 on the KAHR plus it's the narrowest (?) at only .90" wide, check out their website.  The PM9 might be a little small but the K9 or KP9 is going to fit your hand very nicely.  I do own one, I saw a used K9 at Cabellas in Austin and it looked good but I didn't know anything about them so I did a little research and KAHR is a very good weapon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:21:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kahr p9.

At least check it out.  

Reliable
Compact
Can buy in 9mm or 40 SW
Lightweight

+1

+1 on the KAHR plus it's the narrowest (?) at only .90" wide, check out their website.  The PM9 might be a little small but the K9 or KP9 is going to fit your hand very nicely.  I do own one, I saw a used K9 at Cabellas in Austin and it looked good but I didn't know anything about them so I did a little research and KAHR is a very good weapon.

+4 for the KAHR.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is the grip is the hardest part of the gun to conceal.

Both the length and the width should be as short and thin as you feel is comfortable in your hand.

The next thing is weight.

The Glock and the XD, were designed as duty-weapons carried in a OTWB holster & belt. As a result they have bricks for grips and they are heavy IMHO.

The Kahr will be much easyer for dayly carry, it was designed from the ground up for concealed carry.  In both size and weight it is far superior to the others mentioned.

For the record I've only shot a freinds P9, I carry a 1911 or a Steyr M9.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
The H&K is a really fine pistol, but the slide is maybe a bit wide for concealed carry on a smallish person.  Also, the bore axis is high, making for a little more muzzle flip – though in 9MM that shouldn’t be a big issue.  If you’re going to carry it with the hammer down, the trigger might be a reach if your fingers are short.

The mag release is ambidextrous, which is good if you’re a lefty.  The decock lever is easy to get to for folks with short thumbs.

It’s also IMHO overpriced.  And magazines are way overpriced.

The Glock 19 would be my recommendation.  It’s compact, reliable, and reasonably priced (as are it’s magazines).  It doesn’t have a stainless slide, but it has a very durable finish – so that really isn’t an issue unless you want a shiny slide.  (I’m not sure why you said you wanted a stainless slide and then listed the Glocks?)
My biggest complaint about Glocks is the fact that you have to pull the trigger on it before being able to field strip it.  I also dislike the absence of a double strike capability, though that doesn’t seem to bother most folks.  

The Glock 17 is pretty much the same thing in a slightly larger package.

I’ve never fired an XD.

I'm still pretty new to all of this so I don't know if certain guns come with a stainless slide or not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:43:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Another question, if any of you have girlfriends or wives that can give me some advice on this one.

I will not be carrying whichever gun I get open carry.  I just don't feel too comfortable with that quite yet.  However, I feel like I'm going to need to buy an entirely new wardrobe in order to conceal anything.  The majority of my clothes are form fitting.  Not skin tight or anything.  But there isn't THAT much room to put something in between my clothes and me.

How do your wives or girlfriends conceal?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Look no further..........
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:03:16 AM EDT
[#46]
9 is better than a .22  .40 is far better than a 9 without all that damn muzzle flip of a .45.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Sig 226 (or 239 if your hand is small)  is my suggestion for you if you are going 9mm.

Of all the 9mm's I've handled this is the smoothest shooting.  

Pro's:
1)  It goes bang every time.
2)  It has decocker so that you can carry loaded chamber with the hammer down.  Personally I don't think that having the same trigger pull is necessary in CQC.
3) No external safeties.  This I included especially for all you tupperware (kaboom) lovers.
Just the trigger and decocker.
4) The value of the gun (should you want to move it down the road) would hold better than Tupperware, Berettas etc.  It will probably stay on par with HK (retaining dollar value).
5)  Lastly, its a beautifully designed gun on top of being ultra reliable.

Con's:
1) Price.  A new Sig carries a premium price tag.  But should last you a lifetime.
The Plus side of this is that you can likely find a very nice CPO for around $450 or maybe even a 'trade in' , like from CDNN.

[/standing by for flames]

eta
I just recently got the wife a Sig239 and it is realllllll nice !!!  Compact Size and the Slide IS Stainless Steel but is finished in the Factory Sig (proprietary) Black Coating.  
(from left to right, Sig P220 in .45acp / Sig P226 in 9mm / Sig 239 in 9mm)

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Glock 23.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:27:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I know this isn't much of advice but you need to go to a range that rents these guns and shoot everyone of them.  Only you will know which one is right.  I rememeber correctly you are a fairly small girl you may want to also consider a Glock 26.  

I don't really care for the HK myself It is just to bulky for me, and I think they are over priced.  

I have never shot a Springfield but from everything I hear about them they are pretty good guns all though I have heard they do get the occasional tendency to bite your hands, and the finish is Grap.

I have never had a problem with my Glock and I really like it but mine is a G23 in .40.  It is light reliable and always goes bang.  I don't carry it because I don't like not having a chambered round and I just don't feel comfortable carrying it chambered.

Allthough if you want a really really really good 9 MM you should consider a Sig P226 or the smaller P228.  Tje Sig P228 is really light always goes bang when you pull the trigger.  15 rounds when you get the Mecgar +2 capacity mags.  

If you can't tell I love me Sigs.

The hell with it you should get a Smith and Wesson 500 Magnum
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top