Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2007 3:15:33 AM EDT
I just joined the SFBC and need some suggestions on Sci Fi books to get. I have read most of Hienlin, the Dune series, John Ringo, etc.
So let me know some of your favorite sci fi books.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#1]
R.A.Salvatore is a good author in the Fantasy / Sci-Fi Genre.

He has a running series involving a Dark Elf named Drizzt that is very good. Start with a book from amazon called "The Icewind Dale Trilogy" as this is the start of the tale about Drizzt Do'Urdun. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
tag

I'll ask my buddy when he gets up and goes to work, he's big into SciFi books.  He has like 125 different books.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:25:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Try John Ringo's stuff,the polsleen series is good but his Ghost series is GREAT if you can handle the guns and sex!!! Seriously best stuff I've read in ages!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Dean Ing, great writer.  His sci-fi is based on experimental technology being worked on right now, so it's just beyond our reach (now).  Also some is politically oriented.  I read a series of his written a few years ago (like maybe 8 years), don't remember the titles, but all good reads.  Lots of gun-realated sci-fi tech

Some cool short stories too, so you can knock one out on your lunch break.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:14:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Try one called "Armor" by John Steakley
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:14:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like SM Stirling-Dies the Fire and series, as well as Conquistador. Alternate history SciFi.

+1
Pandora's Star, and Judas Unchained, by Peter F. Hamilton. Two of my favorite books.
His newest book The Dreaming Void, which takes place 1000 years after Judas Unchained, just came out in the UK (march 2008 here), waiting on my copy to come in the mail.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Ender's Game
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:31:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ender's Game

+1

Currently reading it, fantastic book so far.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Destiny's Forge by Paul Chafe, is really good if you like Niven's  Man-Kzin Wars/Known Space series.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Heres what meh buddy say:

Asimov’s Foundation series isn’t bad, just long-winded and it never really comes to a conclusion.  Characters appear and disappear very quickly.  Not bad, not as good as some people make it out to be.

Dan Simmon’s Hyperion Cantos is pretty good.  One of my favorite series of sci-fi books.

Also Ilium and Olympos by Simmons.

A Deepness in the Sky, by Vernor Vinge.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
"Pure Blood" and "Mother Earth" Mike McQuay
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ender's Game

+1

Currently reading it, fantastic book so far.  

Very good.  The sequels are decent as well.

Footfall, by Niven and Pournelle, is another great book.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#14]
If you don't mind reading books on your computer, check out the Baen Free Library.

Contains free E-books by a large number of their better known authors.

You can download the books or read them online.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:41:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Enders Game is being made into a movie in 2008
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Enders Game is being made into a movie in 2008

Wow! that has good to be a difficult book to make into a movie.  I hope they can do it justice.  

Ender's Game is one of my favorite books though -- I'll see the movie even if it gets poor ratings.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top