Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2008 8:35:10 AM EDT
So, as some of you may know, my bike was stolen a while ago. Some LEOs practically beat down my door knocking this morning to inform me that it had been found.

I was ecstatic until I got to impound and saw it. One of the mirrors was hanging off, the ignition cylinder had been raped by a screw driver or something, and the gas tank lock cylinder had been popped out. There was some other minor cosmetic damage.

My biker friend mentioned that there is no way for me to know what they did to my bike... they could have taken it past redline for fun, burned out the clutch, done burnouts, etc, etc, etc.

I have very limited funds (I can't be getting this thing towed all over town) and it wont start. My friend says he would just use it as trade and gloss over having to worry about all the depraved things that may have been done to it.

I don't know what to do... it wont start, although it may be just the battery. I don't see how they could have drained the battery from it though. It was in the off position when recovered.

I would love it if someone with experience with bikes, and stolen bikes and sportbikes in specific could give me some sound advice here. If anyone really has something valuable to say, PM me for a phone number
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What kinda bike?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Never post your phone.

Most bikes have ignition limiters.  Even my carburated EX250 cuts off at 14,000 RPM.  Excessive RPM usually grenades an engine but to do it is VERY HARD TO DO.  Bigger bikes have slipper clutches to not only protect the rider (broken traction on the rear causes high siding) but it also protects the bike from over-reving.

The only damage would be oil starvation if they did a lot of stunts.  Which it sounds like they did.  Oil starvation can spin bearings.

Fix the locks and change the oil. Use a CLEAN catch container and filter it though a coffee filter.  Look for flakes of a soft metal.  Machine chips are permissible as these are common.  But wear chips are smaller, flatter and irregular.

And remember, LOCK IT DOWN.  2 urban apes can throw it into the back of a truck, LOCK IT DOWN.

And do you have MSF training?  If not, KEEP IT LOCKED DOWN until you have.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate to say this, but you're new, have a username that mimics that of another user, and you just posted your phone number on an open forum.

That makes me suspicious, for some reason.

Maybe I'm wrong - either way, IMO, posting one's phone number isn't smart....
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Get off the fucking paranoid pills. I like black rifles and chose a user name accordingly.

Anyway, here is the bike

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You could use it as a trade in, but keep in mind its worth right around 1/2 of book value until you get it repaired.

And never post your phone number.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:45:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you try jump-starting it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Good luck, man.  I'd file a claim on my insurance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#8]
please dude, take your phone number down and give it to people who want to help by PM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
If they dumped it the lean angle/fuel shutoff thing may be tripped.

And depending on your bike it may not reset because of the fucked up ignition.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#10]
On the clutch...it won't matter.  Wet clutch.  Again, oil change.

Tire burnout?  Is it flat in the center?  With a fuzzy appearance?  What is a tire? About $200 and has to be done every 6000 miles?  Deal with it.

Get factory replacement lock cylinders.  Bring the key code and they can have it done.

Immobilizer has yet to be mandated on bikes but the new Concours has it...as if anyone steals a Concours.  It also has ABS...nice bike if you want to cruise in power and style but cannot afford a BMW.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep.  Fuel injected have that limit.

Take the plugs out and try turning the engine over by hand.  Then put plugs in one at a time to check for even compression in each cylinder.  Better yet, check cold compression pressure.

Will it not turn over?  Or just won't start?

Fuel and igntion check.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Excessive RPM usually grenades an engine but to do it is VERY HARD TO DO.  Bigger bikes have slipper clutches to not only protect the rider (broken traction on the rear causes high siding) but it also protects the bike from over-reving.

I've never done it on mine (and seen if the slipper clutch would save it), but a mis-shift can drive an engine way past redline, and is very easy to do.

Quoted:

This sounds like a good place to start.  There is also a kick stand sensor on a lot of bikes.

I would say if you can start the engine and it runs normally, then the engine is probably ok.  Might want to change the oil, like said.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks like a pretty new gsxr.  What is your insurance saying about it?  Surely you had it insured, right?

If not....well.  I dunno what to say about that.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Excessive RPM usually grenades an engine but to do it is VERY HARD TO DO.  Bigger bikes have slipper clutches to not only protect the rider (broken traction on the rear causes high siding) but it also protects the bike from over-reving.

I've never done it on mine (and seen if the slipper clutch would save it), but a mis-shift can drive an engine way past redline, and is very easy to do.

Quoted:

This sounds like a good place to start.  There is also a kick stand sensor on a lot of bikes.

I would say if you can start the engine and it runs normally, then the engine is probably ok.  Might want to change the oil, like said.

But the engine will not generate any power at that RPM.  The most concern at these high RPMs is valve float.  Damage here with the valves kissing the piston show up on a compression test.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Roadracing bikes do not have "slipper" clutches. The GSXR has a standard wet clutch with fiber plates and a spring-loaded pressure plate. However, the ignition system has a built-in rev limiter, which means it is not possible to over rev the engine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But the engine will not generate any power at that RPM.  The most concern at these high RPMs is valve float.  Damage here with the valves kissing the piston show up on a compression test.  

During a mis-shift (where you grab too low of a gear at high RPM) the engine isn't what generates the power that drives it way past redline, it's the momentum of the bike/vehicle once you engage the clutch.

The rev-limter only protects the engine from throttle over-rev.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
So, as some of you may know, my bike was stolen a while ago. Some LEOs practically beat down my door knocking this morning to inform me that it had been found.

I was ecstatic until I got to impound and saw it. One of the mirrors was hanging off, the ignition cylinder had been raped by a screw driver or something, and the gas tank lock cylinder had been popped out. There was some other minor cosmetic damage.

Go to any Suzuki dealership and order a complete lock+key set. You'll get a new ignition, new gas cap, and a new helmet lock if your bike came with one.

My biker friend mentioned that there is no way for me to know what they did to my bike... they could have taken it past redline for fun, burned out the clutch, done burnouts, etc, etc, etc.

Burnouts will be obvious by looking at the rear tire. If they did burn out the clutch, you will know as soon as you ride it. It is doubtful if they did. You can also open up the oil-fill spout on the motor, if it smells like something burnt, your fiber clutch plates are probably fried. I wouldn't worry about engine damage from over revving the engine, you have a rev limiter which actually cuts the ignition if the engine is revved too high.

I have very limited funds (I can't be getting this thing towed all over town) and it wont start. My friend says he would just use it as trade and gloss over having to worry about all the depraved things that may have been done to it.

I don't know what to do... it wont start, although it may be just the battery. I don't see how they could have drained the battery from it though. It was in the off position when recovered.

They probably used a dent puller to yank out your ignition, and they left the ignition on at some point which drained your battery. Someone might have put the switch back in the "off" position after the battery died. Pull off the seat and put a meter on the battery, if it's dead just put it on a battery tender and see if the bike starts after the battery is fully charged.

I would love it if someone with experience with bikes, and stolen bikes and sportbikes in specific could give me some sound advice here. If anyone really has something valuable to say, PM me for a phone number
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
However, the ignition system has a built-in rev limiter, which means it is not possible to over rev the engine.

Rev-limter only protects against throttle over-rev.

Get up to redline in 5th gear, then drop it to 4th and release the clutch and the engine will spin way past redline.  (It might throw you over the bars too.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:00:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Roadracing bikes do not have "slipper" clutches. The GSXR has a standard wet clutch with fiber plates and a spring-loaded pressure plate. However, the ignition system has a built-in rev limiter, which means it is not possible to over rev the engine.

Hate to be this guy but.....the GSXR does have a slipper clutch and it is extremely easy to do damage to the engine internals. Specifically the valve train by missing a shift or down shifting rapidly and blowing right past the rev limiter floating the valves causing them to come in contact with the piston.

To the OP if the bike looks like it was on it's side it is possible, even with the tip over switch, that it ran on its side and damaged the plain bearing of the crankshaft and the connecting rods. Keith-J's post on checking the oil for plain bearing material is a good idea. Also need someone to do a leak down test to look for damage to the valve train. Take it to a reputable dealership and have them check it out from top to bottom.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

you just have liabilty insurance correct?

sell it.

you will never be comfortable with it ,not knowing what it was put through.
sell it and dont look back.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hate to be this guy but.....the GSXR does have a slipper clutch and it is extremely easy to do damage to the engine internals. Specifically the valve train by missing a shift or down shifting rapidly and blowing right past the rev limiter floating the valves causing them to come in contact with the piston.

To the OP if the bike looks like it was on it's side it is possible, even with the tip over switch, that it ran on its side and damaged the plain bearing of the crankshaft and the connecting rods. Keith-J's post on checking the oil for plain bearing material is a good idea. Also need someone to do a leak down test to look for damage to the valve train. Take it to a reputable dealership and have them check it out from top to bottom.

You're right, I just called my buddy over at Suzuki. The "back torque limiting clutch" which is what Suzuki calls it, first came out on the GSXR 1000's and the Hayabusas, they didn't start putting them in the 600's until 2006. The bike in the picture looks brand new, it probably does have the new clutch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand
typically insurance companies just total the bike and give you a check.

why don't you just take the check and move on?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Drain the oil and put it in a clear cup and look at it closely.  Than pur the oil through a fine screen and look for metal pieces.  Next pull the filter and cut it apart again looking for pieces of metal, etc.  My son has a GSXR1000 and I have seen some serious abuse without any internal damage.  I would check what I told you before EVEN trying to start it.  I wouldnt even try to crank it without checking the oil condition first.  As said I would also look at the plugs to see how they look.  After doing this I would crank it WITHOUT the plugs in it and see what if anything comes out.  Now your ready to try and start it.  As far as damage you would be amazed at damages that occure just by laying it over while moving.  Do you have a ex or enemy that hates you????

ETA, check for spark while your cranking it over.  A rod could be stretched (caused by over revs on a missed shift or sudden down shift) Thats why I told you to check oil condition FIRST! Look for anything THAT does not belong in the oil.  It wouldnt hurt to check the radiator to see if there is any evidence of oil floating on top.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Expert biker checking in with some advice. Check the oil level, tire pressure, tire condition, chain condition, and brakes. Next check the battery. It may show 12 volts but that does not help you if there are no amps left. Take it to an auto parts store that can check a battery properly. If the battery is good check the main fuse and the secondary fuses. The main fuse is under the side plate under the left side of the seat. If the fuses are good then the messed up ignition switch is probably what is keeping it from starting. You probably already know this but check again and make sure the cut-off switch is on, the gear lever is in neutral and pull the clutch in when you try to start it.

If it starts and runs ok then just ride it and don't worry what they did to it. Suzukis tough and can take a lot of punishment. Have a talk with her and tell her that everything is going to be fine. Buy her something pretty, take her someplace nice and be patient with her for a while. These things happen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#25]
With the lean-over kill switch, the engine will shut off as soon as it was on its side and prevented any internal engine damage.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
With the lean-over kill switch, the engine will shut off as soon as it was on its side and prevented any internal engine damage.

Sometimes the tip over switches work sometimes they don't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#27]
An easy way to check a 12V battery for load strength is to use a sensitive voltmeter that reads to the hundredths (0.01).

Fully charge the battery.   Let it sit overnight.

Read the voltage.  If it's below 12.50ish, then it's no good.

SG        Volt         SOC
>1.265    12.66       100%
>1.225    12.45       75%
>1.190    12.24       50%
>1.155    12.06       25%
>1.120    11.89       0%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top