Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 7:28:51 AM EDT
Ended up with some deer meat this year (Hooray!) but... I've never COOKED deer, only shot n cleaned them....

So, now that I have it, what do i DO with it??
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=312587

I'm guessing Hokie can help ya.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm big on simple. Most of this year's doe - especially that backstrap - got sauteed just fine. Dice the meat into biggish (maybe 3" x 3") cubes and rub them with just plain old salt and pepper. Melt a good chunk of butter in a sizzling hot frying pan, then turn down to a high-medium heat and sautee up some diced garlic, onions and/or scallions (all to taste). Drop in the meat and just keep tossed it until it's as cooked as you want it. Shouldn't take long since it's so lean.

Also had pretty fair luck with an overnight marinade of olive oil, garlic and merlot for 3/4"-1" steaks, then pan-fry as above. I'm already down to only some cubed stew meat while I wait for my buddy to grind up the miscellaneous stuff into burger meat. At this rate, I'm thinking I might go for two tags next year....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:47:23 AM EDT
[#3]
KC Masterpiece Marinade (Hickory and something).  Marinate venison chops for 24-36 hours and slap 'em on the grill.  I like mine medium rare.  I have eaten these now once a week for the past month and am not sick of 'em yet.  They're so tender I can cut them with a fork.  Even my wife, who is not a fan of wild game, says that this is one of the best things she's ever tasted.  I serve em with skin-on red baby mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, sourdough bread and Blackstone merlot or Rosemount Estate Shiraz.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top