Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 7:36:22 PM EDT
So I'm already in sales, I work for a boat dealership that sells anything from 11' boats to 55' yachts. I've been at this company for two years but just not making the money I want to. We sell sea rays, Boston whalers, bayliners and meridian yachts so we have some nice lines to sell. Unfortunately in this economy the boat business is not what it use to be, my dad does the same thing (owns a yacht brokerage company) unfortunately they live over 100 miles and its just not an option to work for him.

Last year I sell a Boston whaler to a Toyota dealership owner that I met in the store, funny thing is, his dad and my dad have known each other since the 70's and my dad has sold boats to him and resold them for the guy. Today I get a phone call from the guy I sold the boat to, wants to know when he can bring the boat in for service. At the end of the conversation he asks when I'm coming to work for him. Doesn't promise anything grand but wants me to come in and at least talk with him. I tell him I will think about it and get back to him.

I know car salesman have a bad rap, I've actually had good experiences. Anyone here with any info or advice?? I've made a good name for myself in the boat business, I try to be honest, upfront and get the customer whatever they need and have developed some good relationships. But I sold over $1 million in boats this last year and wasn't paid all that great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm already in sales, I work for a boat dealership that sells anything from 11' boats to 55' yachts. I've been at this company for two years but just not making the money I want to. We sell sea rays, Boston whalers, bayliners and meridian yachts so we have some nice lines to sell. Unfortunately in this economy the boat business is not what it use to be, my dad does the same thing (owns a yacht brokerage company) unfortunately they live over 100 miles and its just not an option to work for him.

Last year I sell a Boston whaler to a Toyota dealership owner that I met in the store, funny thing is, his dad and my dad have known each other since the 70's and my dad has sold boats to him and resold them for the guy. Today I get a phone call from the guy I sold the boat to, wants to know when he can bring the boat in for service. At the end of the conversation he asks when I'm coming to work for him. Doesn't promise anything grand but wants me to come in and at least talk with him. I tell him I will think about it and get back to him.

I know car salesman have a bad rap, I've actually had good experiences. Anyone here with any info or advice?? I've made a good name for myself in the boat business, I try to be honest, upfront and get the customer whatever they need and have developed some good relationships. But I sold over $1 million in boats this last year and wasn't paid all that great.

go pick up a few shifts there on your off days and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:54:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

At least go talk to him and see what is going on and what your earning potential would be. Worst case scenario if you do have to leave your current job and you have built a good relationship with this guy he would probably hire you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've made a good name for myself in the boat business, I try to be honest, upfront and get the customer whatever they need and have developed some good relationships.

So then your work experience is totally unrelated to anything you would need in car sales...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
So, what would it take to put you in a car today, despite the fact you can't afford it and it's not what you are looking for?
Maybe some $700 wax on it, as well?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#5]
If someone is interested in you, specifically, as an employee, it is usallly a sign that you should at least see what they have to offer.  

As in, definitely go in to talk to the gentleman.

How to prepare for that discussion/interview and what numbers you should throw out in that discussion are different questions.  

My feeble opinion is that I wouldn't jump ship for less than a 10% increase and 25% is more likely.  Unless I worked in a shithole and just wanted out.

Also, there's a reason he asked you about working for him.  It seems he thinks you're worth more working for him than where you are and this is the time to find out just how much.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If someone is interested in you, specifically, as an employee, it is usallly a sign that you should at least see what they have to offer.  

As in, definitely go in to talk to the gentleman.

How to prepare for that discussion/interview and what numbers you should throw out in that discussion are different questions.  

My feeble opinion is that I wouldn't jump ship for less than a 10% increase and 25% is more likely.  Unless I worked in a shithole and just wanted out.

Also, there's a reason he asked you about working for him.  It seems he thinks you're worth more working for him than where you are and this is the time to find out just how much.

Good advice. The lowest salesman made $37k, his highest $150k, the rest of the crew made anywhere from $50k to $70k. I sold $1.2 million and only made $36k, it should have been double that at least. I work my ass off from January to November and feel like it doesn't pay off.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top