Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:41:57 AM EDT
I am ready to get out of this line of work. I was a small town cop for 7 years and have about 7 years as a deputy sheriff in southwestern Illinois. I'm a firearms instructor, but don't have a lot of experience because we're allowed to run basic qual courses only due to time and ammo constraints, not real training like we are capable of. I've got some experience as a drug task force agent, but we're part time. I've always wanted to get into investigations, but openings there are few and far between. I've considered contracting, but I don't have military or tactical unit experience. Relocation for my family is out of the question.

I've probably just realized that I'm screwed and stuck here forever, considering all of the above.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are ready to get out of the law enforcement line of work consider the medical field.  Most of the community colleges offer nuring programs.  I know JALC, Rend Lake, and Shawnee do.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you are ready to get out of the law enforcement line of work consider the medical field.  Most of the community colleges offer nuring programs.  I know JALC, Rend Lake, and Shawnee do.

Thats a good piece of advice. I also have 14 years in and I'm pretty burnt. I am seriously considering getting my RN and then possible continuing to Nurse Anestitist.

OP do you have a degree in anything right now?

J-

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for something similar to the field I'm already in. I can't afford to go back to school.

My degree is in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#4]
consider security company owner/trainer

private investigation

maybe you could be an instructor for multiple departments. firearms, taser, oc spray

law enforcement gun sales ie glock, colt etc
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]
You could start working part time as a PI until you get enough experience/connections that you feel comfortable starting your own firm?  The key is to network, mostly with scumbag lawyers or scummier insurance companies.  Also try to avoid the trap of doing security work unless you enjoy running around all hours of the day putting out fires and smoothing over problems caused by your $7/hr rent a cop employee.

Contracting is quickly on the decline; though hiring standards are dropping so are pay rates...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:40:40 AM EDT
[#6]
CIVPOL contract in Afghanistan
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Find a real place to work for........ since you have time in the retirement system, why not stick it out a few more years in a place you like?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, burnout really sucks......but with the economy the way it is brother I would really consider sticking it out.  With time on the job it would be pretty hard for anything to happen to you.  Remember, working out in the private sector they can downsize, layoff, or fire you with very little if any reason.  Basically you don't have the protection you get from civil service.
take some time off if you can, get away from work and think about it.  Now is probably not the best time to go looking to start a new carrier.  Trust me, been thinking about this myself (17 years on the job).

Best of luck,
Romper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top