Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 7:50:38 AM EDT
YOU guys have always given good advice so.....here what is going on..On Thursday I woke up and started my usual morning routine, well when I relieved myself I felt a really bad burning sensation.  It lasted for 2 days and I went to the MD yesterday and she said that she thought I had a urinary tract infection but she went ahead and gave me "swab" for the clymidia and gonorrhea tests. She gave me some antiboitics and said I should pee without pain within 2 days. Well this mornging I woke up and my lymph glands in the groin area are sore and I found 2 small "spots" on the shaft of my penis.  All they are, are small red scaps.  My
girlfriend and I are freeking out.  My question is does this sound like syphilis or herpes.  If it is syphilis will the same antibotics clear up the syphilis infection.  PLease I don't want any lectures on safe sex  or anything like that.  THe girl friend and I have been in great monogamous relationship for the past 5 months. All I am looking for is either medical advice or someone outthere that has experienced the same thing.

Thanks.

Go HOKIES!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
VD ... it's not just for breakfast any more
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, speaking from experience.....at leat ONE of you have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 5 months....  Go see the Doc RTFN
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, speaking from experience.....at leat ONE of you have been in a monogamous relationship for the past 5 months....  Go see the Doc RTFN

Actually we have been monogamous for the 5 months.  HOWEVER the girlfriend's ex was a piece of shit. It was always talked about how he would try to hook up with all of his girlfriends friends so what we are thinking is that he cheated and caught something and gave it to her and she unknowingly had it and passed it on to me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck man.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
You're screwed!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#6]

I found 2 small "spots" on the shaft of my penis.  All they are, are small red scaps.  

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Dude....Im not trying to be an ass, but....

You might get better results from a site like: Help me with my dirty dick!

Good luck.......

HS
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude, I'm no expert but I doubt that any VD has a latent period that long.  I would imagine somebody has been playing around if in fact it turns out to be a VD.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds like Herpes, dude. Tough to say without an exam. One thing I will tell ya is if it is it will get worse. Rapid treatment might be benficial if it is and I mean RAPID. Call your doc or whomever is on call for them and see if they will call in some Valtrex for you. If you don't have insurance try acyclovir. To be examined first would be benficial, of course.

Tell me, are the lesions painful? Did they blister at all?
There are other things that form lesions but Syphillis is rare, generally painless lesions with a shallow ulceration that doesn't usually scab over for awhile. I will tell ya that in 10 years I have never seen a case of syphillis.

Chancroid is also a possiblity and is rare in my experience also.

I am going to guess that your treatment was 1g Azithromycin and 500mg Ciprofloxacin. Those would treat Chlamydia, Gonnorhea, chancroid but would not be effectve whatsoever for Herpes and of very limited benefit for Syphillis(you would need further treatment).
It is not unusual to be infected with multiple agents if one or both of you are promiscuous.

Email me or IM me if I can help but I rec a quick call to your doc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like your chick made a stop by her exes house????
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I would get your lady friend checked out too, if she's got it, it could cause sterilty.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:22:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sounds like Herpes, dude. Tough to say without an exam. One thing I will tell ya is if it is it will get worse. Rapid treatment might be benficial if it is and I mean RAPID. Call your doc or whomever is on call for them and see if they will call in some Valtrex for you. If you don't have insurance try acyclovir. To be examined first would be benficial, of course.

Tell me, are the lesions painful? Did they blister at all?
There are other things that form lesions but Syphillis is rare, generally painless lesions with a shallow ulceration that doesn't usually scab over for awhile. I will tell ya that in 10 years I have never seen a case of syphillis.

Chancroid is also a possiblity and is rare in my experience also.

I am going to guess that your treatment was 1g Azithromycin and 500mg Ciprofloxacin. Those would treat Chlamydia, Gonnorhea, chancroid but would not be effectve whatsoever for Herpes and of very limited benefit for Syphillis(you would need further treatment).
It is not unusual to be infected with multiple agents if one or both of you are promiscuous.

Email me or IM me if I can help but I rec a quick call to your doc.

Good luck.

Hokie, I'd be calling drjar, if he's willing. If ya can give him a verbal on the symptoms, he may be able to pin it down..

Doc, he's not gonna have shaft lesions with the clap, is he??

Does herpes appear on the shaft, or the base? or anywhere??

I knew a chick used to get eruptions, (PAINFUL), at the base of the spine... dunno what it was...
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
If it's herpes, don't freak
1.  Its just a rash.
2.  It doesn't mean anybody has been cheating, it's like cold sores, sometimes it just breaks out by itself months or years after exposure
3.  it's easy to treat
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hokie, I'd be calling drjar, if he's willing. If ya can give him a verbal on the symptoms, he may be able to pin it down..

Doc, he's not gonna have shaft lesions with the clap, is he??

Yes, with syphillis, chancroid or herpes. Not with gonorrhea or chlamydia.

Does herpes appear on the shaft, or the base? or anywhere??

anywhere

I knew a chick used to get eruptions, (PAINFUL), at the base of the spine... dunno what it was...

Could've been alot of things I suppose but depending on what they looked like were probably herpetic or more likely just an infected pilonidal cyst. Tough to say without seeing or having a good description.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't freak, it's too hard on your nerves.  When I figured out my wife had been cheating, I got real nervous, and to top it off I have a mild "problem" once in awhile that is yet undiagnosed.  Not long after my wife took off, it flared up and I went to the doc and got checked out. I was severely freaked.  This may help you get an idea of what you will be dealing with, and is also posted for the benefit of those who may be ignorant of reality here.  Anything I screw up, Dr. Jarhead please correct me.  Also, feel free to add anything you feel is appropriate.  

Herpes can be caused by two strains of the virus, HSV-1 and HSV-2.  HSV-1 is most commonly found as cold sores.  HSV-2 is the more common virus in genital herpes, but HSV-1 will cause it too, and the most common cause of HPV-1 genital herpes is oral sex.  There isn't a guy in the world that will turn down a blow job right?  Well, all kinds of chicks have HSV-1 cold sores, and furthermore, you can shed virus without even having sores.  No kidding, this stuff is more common than you might think, and anyone who just goes "eeewwwwww" isn't up to speed with reality.  Estimates run as a high as 25% of all women have genital herpes, either HPV-1 or 2, and many of them are asymptomatic, which means they never get external sores.  That's one in four women!  It's not limited to any particular demographic either!   This means that if you have sex on more than an occasional basis with someone who is not a life partner, and have not gotten anything, you are just plain damn lucky!

I went and got checked out.  Swab/culture test was a little bit late but my Doc was pretty confident that if there was something there he got it.  He also felt it was going to come back positive.  The test came back negative.  Did a blood test called a Pockit test for HPV-2, you get the results while you wait.  Negative.  Did HIV, Hep B and C, etc.  These tests get sent out and take a week or 10 days.  Negative.  As far as the second and more painful swab test, he gave me the option of that or a big dose of Cipro.  After describing the test....I took the Cipro instead!

Here is the kicker.  I was married five years and my wife never got pregnant.  I met with her after we seperated for good and I told her that she needed to get checked out because at that time my Doc felt that there was a good chance that swab test was going to show something.  Two months later, she is pregnant.  That tells me she had something, most likely Chlamydia, a mild bacterial infection that is the most common STD out there.  One of it's consequences is temporary sterility.  I imagine she had it the whole time and I had it too.

Moral: life is hard.  Even if you're NOT stupid....I am actually pretty bright.  And STD's are much more common than people realize.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Good review, Thekill.
A few things I'll add for everyone's benefit and some of this I have discussed with VTHS via email:

HSV = herpes simplex virus
HPV = human papilloma virus -- causes genital warts and cervical cancer. This is basically what we are looking for in PAP screenings and is not the same as HSV.

There is urine testing for GC and Chlamydia now, FWIW, and I generally collect a guys first AM urine for this. The "swab" should be reserved for torture! Don't ask me how I know If I know they have been exposed I collect their urine and give a script for Cipro and Azithro to take after they collect it. No test is perfect!

Lots of asymptomatic STDs out there especially in women and Herpes is often asymptomatic in both sexes. Alot of us were exposed to HSV-1 as kids and never get cold sores. You might when you get older...

Chlamydia, and less so GC, can cause pelvic inflammatory disease in women (horrible thing to go through)and scarring/strictures leading to sterility in both sexes. There are millions of cases of each yearly in the US.

There are really alot of STDs as when do we more intimate contact? When I find someone at risk or with a pos test I rec a fair amount of other tests to rule them out but with regards to HIV esp a single test may not tell you much as it may take awhile to "seroconvert".
If you were treated and still have symptoms get rechecked. Cipro would not be my choice of treatment for chlamydia and there are alot of things that would not respond to Cipro.

HSV1 and 2
HIV
Hep B
Hep C
HPV
gonorrhea
chlamydia
chanchroid
syphillis
mycoplasma/ureaplasma
trichomonas

are all STDs and treatment for each varies.

FWIW to all of you guys urinary tract infections are extremely rare in men unless there is another problem ongoing or there is some chronic problem. UTI symptoms in an otherwise healthy guy would lead me towards a diagnosis of STD or prostatitis.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Well here is the latest with my "problem".  Went to the MD on Monday and got blood tested.  HIV, Syphilis, Gonorriha and Clymidia are all negative. The herpes test takes 7-10 business days so I am not going to know until 12/01 BUT my MD thinks that it is most likely herpes and has prescribed valtrex just in case.  

drjarhead:Thanks for all the info!

TheKill:  Great post!

It seems like at the MD office or the pharmacy people seem the prejudge me now as being some kind of man whore or some dumb guy that pics up sleezy women.  THis is what I hate most, though I was guilty of it myself before I ended up with and STD.  I guess life is full of hard lessons.

Go Hokies!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top