Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2008 8:50:59 PM EDT
I want to install a backup battery power source for my pellet stove.  I know it doesn't draw a lot of power when running but don't have those figures yet.  I'd like to set up one of those uninteruptible type power sources so that it runs off the house power most of the time but switches to the battery source when the power shuts off.  

I know I will need a lot more power than most UPS for computers have.  Basically, I'd like to have a power inverter that only switches to the main battery bank once the power shuts off.

Anyone have a good idea of how I do this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:56:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Find out how much power you actually need to run and START the unit pellet stove.
Motors are often a very large draw at startup.

You can find UPS units in darn near any capacity you want, some with external battery arrays for extra capacity.

If you try to kludge together your own system at the very least you will need an NEC acceptable automatic crossover switch to isolate your equipment from the wall power.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Find out how much power you actually need to run and START the unit pellet stove.
Motors are often a very large draw at startup.

You can find UPS units in darn near any capacity you want, some with external battery arrays for extra capacity.

If you try to kludge together your own system at the very least you will need an NEC acceptable automatic crossover switch to isolate your equipment from the wall power.

Thanks for the response.  Any idea where I can get one??

Good electrical resources to start shopping on??
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:28:22 AM EDT
[#3]
figure out how much power you need first, then go from there. (motor's won't help your cause ($$ wise))
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The stove draws about 120-200 watts running.  It will draw more when starting but I won't be starting it on the batteries.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Then how long do you want it to run?
BTW 200watts is not a lot compaired to newer computers that draw 500 to 1000 watts, not counting the motitor and such. Most can run that for 30 min or so.

If you want longer, just be prepaired to spend a few bucks.

APC is a big maker of them. Some of there ups's run off 30 amp 110 and keep a server with 4  500 watt power supplies running for 3 hours that are rack mountable. You can go crazy for stand alone ones.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The stove draws about 120-200 watts running.  It will draw more when starting but I won't be starting it on the batteries.  

How are you going to ensure it will be on when the power fails, and will not cycle when on the  backup power?

The pellet stoves I have seen have an auger feed that automaticvally turns on and off as required.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Then how long do you want it to run?
BTW 200watts is not a lot compaired to newer computers that draw 500 to 1000 watts, not counting the motitor and such. Most can run that for 30 min or so.

If you want longer, just be prepaired to spend a few bucks.

APC is a big maker of them. Some of there ups's run off 30 amp 110 and keep a server with 4  500 watt power supplies running for 3 hours that are rack mountable. You can go crazy for stand alone ones.

Basically I want a backup power system made up of a few deep cycle batts and an inverter that will transfer power immediately when the grid power goes down.  I'd like to be able to run it for about 8 hours at a time max.  My generator will power it then and recharge the batteries.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#9]
That last part is the catch. Switch imediatly.

Now there are a couple ways to do it, but you would have to find some other way to calculate how long it would last.

I don't know if it would be any cheaper building it yourself like this, but here would be my list.

6 deep cycle marine batteries wired in paralelle.

A float charger with 6 slots.

A power inverter

Wire that all up with only the charger going to main power.

the stove would always run off the inverter and batteries. When main power cuts out it would stay with the batteries to run.

based on needing a 200 watt inverter, my guess is some where around 800 for all that.

2 problems I see, first,most inverters aren't rated for that, unless you get a generator type inverter.
second, the charger may not be able to keep up with the current draw when the stove is running.

but that is why apc gets the big bucks. The one they claim will work runs around 1100.
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
That last part is the catch. Switch imediatly.

Now there are a couple ways to do it, but you would have to find some other way to calculate how long it would last.

I don't know if it would be any cheaper building it yourself like this, but here would be my list.

6 deep cycle marine batteries wired in paralelle.

A float charger with 6 slots.

A power inverter

Wire that all up with only the charger going to main power.

the stove would always run off the inverter and batteries. When main power cuts out it would stay with the batteries to run.

based on needing a 200 watt inverter, my guess is some where around 800 for all that.

2 problems I see, first,most inverters aren't rated for that, unless you get a generator type inverter.
second, the charger may not be able to keep up with the current draw when the stove is running.

but that is why apc gets the big bucks. The one they claim will work runs around 1100.

I thought about this as well but my concern was that the charger wouldn't be able to keep up.  

I've also thought about getting one of the small inverter generators and plan for it to run full time to run the pellet stove.  I am starting to get the idea that the tiny generator is probably the better idea.

Thanks to all for all the advise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top