Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2013 4:19:04 PM EDT
Long story short, I have an opportunity to get a factory refurb nikon D5100 for about $300 off the sticker for the brand new one.

Downside is that it has a 90 day warranty instead of the 5 year.  I've always had good luck with Nikon, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

So, I'm wondering if the $470 pricetag is worth the risk.  Comes with a charger and 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses.

I'm really leaning towards it and could use some thoughts.  Yes, I know there are good Canon cameras in that price range, but they just don't feel right in my hands.  I grew up using Nikon camera gear.

ETA:  I went and ordered it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200981232265
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the same package a year or two ago. When i got the camera it wouldn't read SD cards. I called Nikon and opened a ticket. I sent the camera. The sent me a brand new 5100 body..
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the same package a year or two ago. When i got the camera it wouldn't read SD cards. I called Nikon and opened a ticket. I sent the camera. The sent me a brand new 5100 body..
View Quote

I'm assuming that is a yes, but to be sure, would you do it again?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I would do it again... My camera sat for months at a time while i was deployed and has never missed a beat...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a refurbed Nikon DSLR with the same 90 day warranty.  My brother liked it so much he made the same refurb purchase I did.  Neither of us had a lick of trouble from those cameras.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm probably going to go for it then.  Thanks guys

Well, missus willing...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Long story short, I have an opportunity to get a factory refurb nikon D5100 for about $300 off the sticker for the brand new one.

Downside is that it has a 90 day warranty instead of the 5 year.  I've always had good luck with Nikon, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

So, I'm wondering if the $470 pricetag is worth the risk.  Comes with a charger and 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses.

I'm really leaning towards it and could use some thoughts.  Yes, I know there are good Canon cameras in that price range, but they just don't feel right in my hands.  I grew up using Nikon camera gear.
View Quote

The camera is a good one.
I have both lenses.  They perform far beyond their price range
I've bought a refurbished SB-400 flash and a DX VR 55-300 lens.  Both have been great out of the box and work fine.
I'd spring for the f1.8 DX 35mm prime lens.  When your shooting in low light you'll thank me.

Nikon's warranty.  I don't think Nikon's new camera warranty in consumer DSLR's is five years.  More like one year.
My experience is Nikon will do anything to get out of honoring their warranty.  Google Nikon Warranty and see what you get.
Sources tell me Canon is the same way about their warranty.

I'd get the refurb D5100.  If it's got an issue, you'll know it before the 90 days is up.  Chances are you won't have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Going for it.  Thanks for the help guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top