Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2004 8:28:47 AM EDT
My IT guy asked for 2K to buy a new server. We said OK, now he says that with goog backup it will run $2500-3000. I'm making him stay on budget. Any ideas or is it a lost cause.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the purpose and operating load of the server?

Not enough information. It could be adequate or it could be not enough depending on things like number of transactions, use of server, number of users, number of concurrent connections, efficiency of application engineering, etc....
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Does it have to be rackable? Dell's cheapest server is the PowerEdge 400SC which has decent performance and can be had for a very reasonable price. I bought one with a 2.4GHZ P4, 800mhz FSB, 512MB of 400mhz DDR ECC ram, no OS and standard 40GB IDE drive for just under $500. The machine runs good considering what I paid. You'll need to spend more if you need SCSI and RAID and all that business, and the OS will cost more too. But for a $2k budget including OS I'd consider the PowerEdge 400SC assuming you don't need a rackable form factor.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
5 users, partial mail server with anti-virus, primary domain controller, runs an interbase server program needs min 1 gig ram and works best with dual processors. Also need the backup. This help? Need Windows 2003 OS with 5 licenses. Also used for about 20 gig of storage.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The dual processors could be exp., but a tape backup system should be easy and cheap.

Don't forget about cheap DVD-R as a backup strategy as well. There's very few files on a 5 user system larger than 4 gigabytes, and even if there were, a backup process could be created to spread the volume across multiple disks after cutting the file into more managable chunks (via WIN RAR or something similar).

I'd say you could probably do it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
What you're asking for, a RELIABLE server for 2K is asking quite alot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
it is impossible to answer your question without more information.  can a server be built for $2000 dollars that will do a good job?  for some businesses YES!  for others...  NO!

what kind of server/network do you have now?  why do you need a server?  what kind of business do you have?  what kind of programs will you be running?  how many connections?  are you running sql (if so your backup equipment and software will run over 2000 alone...)  it may be possible to re-build your old server?

dells suck!!!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
it is impossible to answer your question without more information.  can a server be built for $2000 dollars that will do a good job?  for some businesses YES!  for others...  NO!

what kind of server/network do you have now?  why do you need a server?  what kind of business do you have?  what kind of programs will you be running?  how many connections?  are you running sql (if so your backup equipment and software will run over 2000 alone...)  it may be possible to re-build your old server?

dells suck!!!

We are runnig an interbase program using sql. Our server has lost it't rade and the backup tapes are no longer being made. We have a specialized program for selling aircraft parts. There are several hundred thousand part numbers in the system and maybe fifty thousand with transaction history. The backup is done daily on tapes that are replaced every few moths due to shelf life.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Compaq used to make a "Professional Workstation" that could be used as a server.  Built-in SCSI and space for about a half dozen drives, and dual-processor option.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Sure...

Build it yourself, don't waste money on the brand...

Also, use a decent (non-Win32) OS, either FreeBSD or Linux.

And yes, Linux can be your mailserver, PDC, and run Interbase without trouble...

Don't know about FreeBSD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top