Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 7:44:14 AM EDT
need to get my home painted this summer. How do i find good painting company? What questions should I ask? Guarentee/Warranty?How many coats?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
need to get my home painted this summer. How do i find good painting company? What questions should I ask? Guarentee/Warranty?How many coats?

Thanks

Go UNION and you can't go wrong
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea right go Union and pay at least 3x what you should. I mean give me a break uniion painters Find some old guy that does it for cash. Can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Need my house painted: what do i look for in a painter?

Sobriety.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone sober.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#5]
and someone who's not colorblind!  

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone who has SDI/Workers comp insurance.

It would suck to lose your house because Julio fell off the ladder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Need my house painted: what do i look for in a painter?

Sobriety.

Damn straight.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Mexicans
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#10]
You want someone who has been around a few times and will do what you want.
I wanted mine brushed two coats, one guy keep saying "we spray".  you aren't listening, give me a bid done this way.  Find a custom painter who will do it correctly and takes some time to look around your house and explore the issues.  They will not do carpentry work, so expect to find some stuff wrong that will need to be fixed. Ask if they caulk all the joints and how.
Ask for previous houses that they painted.
oil or latex?
what's their gaurantee?
about how long will it take?
how many coats?
insurance is a good one
how long is the bid for
and ask where they get their paint from.  Real painters get paint from sherwin williams or kwal howell or whichever. They do not buy paint fro home depot.

a good painter is worth the money.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Most important:

Do not let them apply paint soon after a rainstorm, or when it is too humid.

If you see them doing this on someone else's house prior to your job, fire them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Ask them do they caulk the joints, if not? pass...if yes, ask how long it takes them...When I had my house done they made it a point to tell me that it normally took them at LEAST a day to caulk everything and then they skipped a day before they brushed the paint on...no rollers, no sprayers...They did a 1st rate job...I payed for it but it was worth it...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Go UNION and you can't go wrong

[Dr. Evil]Riiiiiiiiiiiight[/Dr. Evil]

Do what you're doing here, but do it locally--check references or find a neighbor who had a good job done. Use that company.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Someone sober.

Wrong! I wouldn't trust a sober painter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top