Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 6:48:50 PM EDT
I am planning on purchasing a ruger mini 30. I want to get it and a nice supply of hi caps, a collapsable stock and a few other goodies. My reason for wanting the gun in that i want a small well built carbine chambered in 7.62x39, but in an american made gun, not an sks or a ak. The ammo is cheaper than 5.56 and i kinda alrady have enuff ar's. Im just lookin for a new toy to play with. Will the mini 30 function fine with imported surplus stuff??

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody have any info on this??
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I read all of that.

My immediate question is: what does this do that an AK/sks doesn't do much better?

Your only stipulation in the first post was 'american made'

Arsenal AKs are made in the US, from domestic parts.  Many smiths make AKs to order, in the US.

Do you have some reason to believe that the Ruger rifle will be more enjoyable than a quality AK/sks?

Do you have some reason to favor Ruger over Arsenal, or over a small, independent business?

To be blunt....go AK series; go SKS series if you really think you need a traditional rifle stock and can't find a Saiga.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
DO NOT BUY ANY MINI_14 VARIENT!

If you want 7.62, just pony up for a good AK.

The mini is inaccurate, the high-caps are unreliable, and the old wooden stocks are difficult to find.

I traded my mini in for a SAR-2 and never looked back.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a mini 30 and hated it.

Get an AK built here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 bushmasters, a colt , a dpms parts gun, 2 krebs, one 47 and one 74, and an sks.  I am starting a job at a law enforcement firearms dealership and can pick up a mini 30 for like 300 bucks, and i can get acessories for dealer cost.  My dad has a mini 14 and it shoots and functions pretty darn good
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#6]
basically all i want to know is if the mini 30 functions well with russian type ammo
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned AK's, SKS's & Ruger-30's.

The Ruger would be my last choice out of the three of them. The only reason I would buy a Mini-Thirty is if the AK & SKS's were banned.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The Mini-30 is a piece of shit.

They would be reliable with decent mags, but I am yet to see any decent high capacity magazines made for them. Ruger makes no high caps for them, at least none available to civilians. I don't even think they make any for LE. All that leaves are junk mags like USA, Triple K, etc. They are total junk and unreliable.

I have seen many cases where Mini-30's misfire because of the hard primers used on Russian ammo designed for SKS/AK rifles. So if you want reliable function, there goes your cheap ammo sources.

Mini-30's are not very accurate at all. The AK is every bit as accurate.

AK mags can be found in piles for very low prices. And unlike Mini-30 junk mags, these will work.

The Mini-30 has all the same negatives as the Mini-14, only worse. You couldn't give me one.

If you want a 7.62x39, get an AK. And if you prefer the sporter stock, get a Saiga.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
basically all i want to know is if the mini 30 functions well with russian type ammo

It won't ever work as well as an AK/sks series rifle.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but you will experience repeated problems.

If you want a cheap, domestic plinker, look into pistol caliber carbines.

If you want a 7,62x39mm firearm, get into the AK/sks family.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I justed posted in the Armory section about wanting to get a rifle chambered in the "commie" round.

Funny thing is that back in the deep dark corner of my safe I rarely venture is a Ruger Mini30.

Its been back there for maybe 5 years. Before that it was in another deep dark location.  I can only faintly remember my brain saying in 1996 this:

"Man, them AR15s are sure expensive after the damn ban.  What about the A-team gun, the mini-14?  Hmm less expensive.  Mr. Gunshop owner says they are OK so why not get one.  You say one chambered in 7.62x39mm?  Well give me that and a scope, I's got me some shootin to do."

So I bought a mini30 and shot it.  Less than impressed.  Then I bought Wolf ammo for it.  Didn't work reliably.  So I kind of stashed it in the safe and its been hiding there for a long time.  If you want I'll sell you mine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I had a mini 30 and hated it.

I knew someone that had a mini-30

And I hated it.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Go with a SAR1 or such. Much better choice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]
So....do you sense a trend here?

Mini 30 rifles suck.  Stay away.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Mini-30 doesn't function well with ANY ammo.

If you absolutely MUST have an American-made rife that shoots 7.62 x 39 ammo, look into an Arsenal SA M-7 - It'll run rings around a Mini-30 in reliability and accuracy. Plus, it accepts standard AK magazines (cheap, readily available, and dead-nuts reliable).
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a Mini-14 and that POS was less accurate than my $89 SKS.
Everyone I know who bought a Mini-anything has regreted it some or a lot.

Buy an AK-47
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes. It functions quite well.

Wolf ammo has been known to cause problems in ARs, AKs and SKS's. So your mileage may vary.

Is at least as accurate as an AK.

But you have few choices as far as mags are concerned.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Mini-30.  I don't hate it but I don't love it either.  Being in California, it's one of the few (new) legal carbines here.

It's alright, but you won't find any (ANY) quality magazines for it.  Nobody makes good magazines over 10 rounds gapacity for Mini-30's.  There are quality mags available for Mini-14's but not '-30's.  The only good ones for '-30's are the Ruger ones made in decades past.  Finding one for sale is a challenge.  Convincing yourself to pay what they go for is a bigger challenge.  I had a 30 round mag for about a week.  This is what I did to it because it decided not to cooperate.

home.earthlink.net/~uberphlubb/1911/magazine3.jpg

In addition, you won't be shooting anything but fully jacketed ammo.  Soft points and hollow points will jam just about every time, regardless of which magazines you use.

These foibles aside, it's an alright rifle.  But for the same money, you could get an AR, AK or SKS that would feed more reliably and have more options and quality magazines.  Do yourself a favor, get an AK and revel in what I cannot.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I had one.....................
sold it at a gunshow.

Solid weapon, nice wood good for cracking across someones face....Thats about it
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd go with an AK (a SAR would be better IMO).

Want an AR chambered in 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:43:59 AM EDT
[#20]
REPEAT:

Mini30 is about as accurate or less accurate than most AKs.  SKS rifles have put my mini30 to shame.

My Mini30 hated Russian Wolf ammo.  The cheapest and most plentiful 7.62x39 ammo on the market did not work reliably in my Mini30.  

Aftermarket magazines are expensive and hard to come by.  I never had an issue with magazine reliablitly though.  

You put a scope on this rifle it just helps you see your misses close up.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Eagle made some clear plastic magazines that hold about 17 rounds. Those are pretty reliable, but don't leave them loaded or the mag body will split.

There are 30/45 round thermold magazines out there that are reliable too. Again, don't leave them loaded. The lips on these will deform after a while.

I have NEVER found a reliable steel magazine for the Mini-30. I have a drawer full of them that I tried to fix. They are unfixable. The steel is too thin and too soft.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:19:44 AM EDT
[#22]
All of the magazines I bought for my Mini30 were Thermold type plastic.  I even have one that goes from holding 27 rounds to like 42 ( I haven't touched it in a while so can't remember).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top