Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 9:36:26 AM EDT
This weekend coming back from a fishing trip I had a close encounter with a 300 pound devil woman in a Chevy Cavalier that ran a stop sign in front of me.  I didn't hit her,  taking to the ditch instead.  Unfortunately,  once on the dirt your stopping distance is greatly increased when you have a 3600 pound boat in tow. (50+ mph)
 I did make it across the ditch reasonably intact,  but tore up the front bumper and air dam.  Of course,  the boat coming off the trailer and balancing itself on the tailgate  didn't do the back end any good either. Certainly looked impressive, and was a heck of a ride.  

Did learn a few things;

Ford builds some unbelievably tough tailgates.
the darn thing even still opens.

Bayliner builds some incredibly tough boats.  there is no damage except for a broken bulb in the spotlight and busted tie down straps.

Wrecker services charge 300$ to sling load a boat and put it back on the trailer.

Body shops and salvage yards are a major ripoff.  550$ for a used tailgate?  I don't think so.

With the last in mind I've decided to do the work myself to avoid insurance rates rising.  My question is,  does anyone know of a good internet source for truck parts? In my case custom front bumpers and tailgates for a 98 Ford F150?  I'd like someone that sells bumpers that will accept a small winch mount.

On the humorous side,  the car behind me was a state trooper, watched the whole thing, and stopped the woman.  No insurance, suspended DL, (DWI convictions) no valid registration on the car, and an infant laying on the front seat unsecured. Says she'll sue me since I'm the reason she went to jail.        
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#2]
www.ford-truck.com

Go to the board and ask there. They are like the AR15.com of Ford Trucks
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
[size=5][red]ATTA BOY John!![/red][/size=5]

Whether she's smart enough to know it or not, you saved both her and the child, and you, sir deserve a pat on the back. Well done.

Sorry for the damage, but not having to live w/ the thought of a dead baby has got to be some consolation.

[b]You get my vote as hero of the day![/b]

Mike
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Alright John In Austin,

Certifit makes after market parts, they SORTAFIT, they are an overseas company specializing in Quarter panels, hoods and the like.
[url]http://www.certifit.com/[/url]

I used them to repair a Chevy S-10, Once or twice I had to drill closer holes for screws and such so they are not perfect, but that is why I called them SortaFit.

Mr. Bumber makes bumbers.
You can get a very good heavy duty bumber from these guys. I don't know if they are GM only, I doubt it.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[size=5][red]ATTA BOY John!![/red][/size=5]

Whether she's smart enough to know it or not, you saved both her and the child, and you, sir deserve a pat on the back. Well done.

Sorry for the damage, but not having to live w/ the thought of a dead baby has got to be some consolation.

[b]You get my vote as hero of the day![/b]

Mike
View Quote

Yeah, good job!!  Hopefully she stays in jail or at least of the road.

Shok
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]lmctruck.com[/url]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys,  it looks like "Certifit" is the place:

front chrome bumper  85$

front air dam, plastic  35$

rear tailgate shell,  62$

The body shop listed these same replacement parts for 1,112$, not counting paint for the tailgate.  Bastards.

Unfortunately,  they don't ship to central Texas, but for those prices I'm up for the road trip.  OK city is only about 5 hours,  I think I'll take the time and wander through some gun shops while I'm there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a damn shame that you have to fix it your self.  Why do we have to pay for insurance if we can never use it.  I look at it as a driving TAX, just money you have to pay to own and drive, and here in TX that TAX is HIGH!

Good luck with the body work...

FB
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
John,
Where were you at?  I drove out past the lake this weekend and went to Llano for some BBQ at Cooper's with some friends.  We sure do have some F^*&(ng stupid drivers here, don't we?

If the bitch threatened to sue you, I'd have pointed at the truck and said you'd sue her back for wrecking your car AND your boat. (even if it's not bad)  She sounded like a dumbass.

Going to OKC?  Well, I'm heading up there not this weekend but next, to see my little sister.  If I still had my truck, I'd offer to pick up the stuff for you, but the car I have now is probably too small to fit the tailgate in it!

Matt
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I live in Austin but I'm currently activated and staying on Ft Hood.  

This happened outside Refugio,  I was coming back from Port Aransas.  

Sue her?  what's the point?  She drives a 88 Cavalier with front end damage, and the whole family hasn't bathed since Christmas.  (they all came to the scene) the trooper said the entire adult family had at least one DWI apiece.

Thanks for the pickup offer,  but this gives me an excuse for a road trip,  and the chance to hit uncharted territory as far as gun shops go.

Thanks guys!!  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 OK city is only about 5 hours,  I think I'll take the time and wander through some gun shops while I'm there.
View Quote

Don't forget to stop in Duncan, OK (on US 62) and check out Murf's and Danny's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top