Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 8:48:19 PM EDT
My truck has a small surging problem. The engine runs fine but I can hear and feel it surge very sligtly.

It's not a big problem yet, but I would like to take care of if before it gets worse. Anyone have any ideas?

When the engine is running and moving you can hear it surge with a high pitched wine then go back to regular engine noise.

What needs fixing or replacing? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a vaccum leak to me.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

Been a while. I'll get it replaced.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How do I find the leak and fix it?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd check the PCV valve first if it has one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spray vacuum lines with soapy sudsy water. look for the bubbles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Had the same problem with a 96 or 97 Chevy 4.3L
Tried everything and took it to a couple of mechanics also.
Never found the problem and ended up selling it.

I'm pretty much ashamed to say, such a stupid little thing like this, is the only one thats ever truly stumped me... I'm not above asking for help but, that did'nt help either... and to this day I have no idea what caused it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Check plugs/wires.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
My Jeep Grand Cherokee acted that way when it had a transmission fluid leak and was low.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#11]

engine & intake type specs?  Come on man

TBI's are know to do that.  Emissions controls suck
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Does it happen a bit after you start the truck?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Throttle Position Sensor?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  Vacuum lines wont bubble.  They have negative pressure.

To find a vacuum leak, use a can of starting fluid(either).  With the engine running, select an area of the engine compartment to test and spray the starting fluid.  If there is a vacuum leak the engine will surge noticeably.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell it could be a cracked spark plug wire. Check them when it is running, if you get shocked U will know it is bad.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  Vacuum lines wont bubble.  They have negative pressure.

To find a vacuum leak, use a can of starting fluid(either).  With the engine running, select an area of the engine compartment to test and spray the starting fluid.  If there is a vacuum leak the engine will surge noticeably.

I have heard a similar method. The only difference is to use a propane torch. Not lit of course, just turned on so the gas is running. It should give you more control to put the gas just where you want it as opposed to the ether spray thing. Both will work.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Throttle Position Sensor?

That was my problem on a 95 Chev. 1500 350.  I'd see if it showed up in the trouble codes.  I ended up with hard shifting before I could get back from Wyoming and get it fixed.  Fine now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:03:22 AM EDT
[#18]
It could be a lot of things.  If you look in the manual and try to diagnose it, I bet the coolant temp sensor comes up as well as the ERG valve and solenoid.  Could even be the coil and module.  Most of these parts are fairly cheap if you replace them yourself.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Check plugs, wires, visually inspect all of the vacuum lines on the intake side, clean your injectors, if you have a rotary distributor - change the cap and rotor, clean the contact points, clean the contacts on your coil.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Fuel filter and vacuum lines. Check those first. You can also find vacuum leaks by spraying any aerosol around the lines. You will be able to see what it does if there is a leak. It will blow the stream off kilter if its a bad leak. Also, you haven't had the bed off lately have you? On one of my projects, I took the bed off and put it back on several times, and one time I sat the bed on the fuel line, crimping it off about half way. Won't ever do that again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Basical a TUNE UP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top