Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 3/12/2005 2:13:42 PM EST
I have hunted the web for information on how to get the little star gear to retract the brake shoes so I can get the drum off with no stinking luck. Can anyone here give me a little enlightenment? Really farking desperate, considering that I have already sheared two bolts on the drum (they were cross-threaded by the freaking dealer when I bought the thing and they rotated the tires).

Please help . . .
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:27:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 2:28:37 PM EST by fizassist]
I don't know the specifics of your setup, but usually with drums, you go in a hole in the back (6 o'clock) with a common-tip screwdriver to turn the nut to bring the shoes in. Whichever direction is easier to turn, loosens them. Usually, though, if the parking brake is not on, the drum should not be trapped by the shoes. Is your e-brake on? If so, take it off and use chocks on the front wheels instead.

ETA: If not, give the drum a few hearty taps on the side with a hammer; that should break it loose. The shoes should not be holding the drum unless the e-brake is engaged.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:35:49 PM EST
A few healthy smacks with a hammer on the lug nut side to break loose the rust, but not so hard as to crack the drum. Sometimes water gets inbetween the axle flange and the drum, and causes rusting that holds the drum on to the axle flange(?). Oh be double sure that the emergency/parking brake is disengaged, you should be able to turn the wheel with your hand since the Odessey is a front-wheel drive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 2:49:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 2:58:17 PM EST by ByteTheBullet]
I have had great luck getting car info from Automotive Forums for my Passport. Just browse to your car make and model and search or post a question.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 3:21:55 PM EST
Alright .. .I cannot get the star gear to retract . . . I have succeeded in locking one side completely, the other still turns so I am reluctant to experiment. Looking in the hole you can see the one-way gear and a little lever-mechanism. The little lever goes up and down, but does not apparently do anything . . . if you use the gear you can see it tightens up the whole thramn ding . . . I am losing hope here . . .
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:10:14 PM EST
Don't you push a lever out of the way and then you can turn the star wheel in the direction that will loosen the pads from the drum?

vmax84
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:14:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By vmax84:
Don't you push a lever out of the way and then you can turn the star wheel in the direction that will loosen the pads from the drum?

vmax84

Right on. The lever for the auto adjusters PREVENTS loosening of the adjuster. That is the key. You need to push the lever away from the star wheel and turn it AGAINST the lever's tooth. It is usually rotating the wheel UP regardless of side.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:20:01 PM EST
Is the drum loose from the hub? ie, it would come off except the shoes are worn into a deep groove?

A lot of vehicles have a threaded hole between a couple of lugs that you can screw in a bolt.
Screw the bolt in hard enough, and it will break the drum free.
The last one I did this to, I believe it was an 8mm bolt.

IF the drum is loose, give it hell. Anything that breaks is replaceable, and should be
replaced anyway if the drum is that worn anyway.

Dave
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:22:02 PM EST
I'm sure you already pulled off all the cables and such........ but the star gear should still turn and it should come off
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:23:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By fizassist:
I don't know the specifics of your setup, but usually with drums, you go in a hole in the back (6 o'clock) with a common-tip screwdriver to turn the nut to bring the shoes in. Whichever direction is easier to turn, loosens them. Usually, though, if the parking brake is not on, the drum should not be trapped by the shoes. Is your e-brake on? If so, take it off and use chocks on the front wheels instead.

ETA: If not, give the drum a few hearty taps on the side with a hammer; that should break it loose. The shoes should not be holding the drum unless the e-brake is engaged.

+1

I never bother to loosen the star wheel though...

If the hammer does not work...put the tires back on, drive the car around and mosh on the brakes several times to heat them up... The heat build up from moshing on the brakes really helps to get them off..

Return to your driveway, quickly jack the thing up, remove tires... the drums should slide right off..if not, bang them a few times with a hammer...

This has never failed me...so far...
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:26:34 PM EST
If you are turning the toothed gear, withOUT holding the lever down out of the way first, then you are likely turning it the wrong way and actually making the pads TIGHTER against the drum.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:34:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By rayra:
If you are turning the toothed gear, withOUT holding the lever down out of the way first, then you are likely turning it the wrong way and actually making the pads TIGHTER against the drum.

+1
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:57:58 PM EST
As said before you are turning it the wrong way.
You should see 2 holes in the backing plate. You need 2 flat head screw drivers, or the brake adjustment tool, which is just a double ended flat screwdriver that one side is shaped like a hook. Makes it easier to turn the star wheel. Use one screw driver to push the lever towards the drum, so it no longer touches the star wheel. Then use the other screw driver to turn the star wheel in the other direction.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:39:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Andrewh:
As said before you are turning it the wrong way.
You should see 2 holes in the backing plate. You need 2 flat head screw drivers, or the brake adjustment tool, which is just a double ended flat screwdriver that one side is shaped like a hook. Makes it easier to turn the star wheel. Use one screw driver to push the lever towards the drum, so it no longer touches the star wheel. Then use the other screw driver to turn the star wheel in the other direction.

Are you serious? There is not that much room here. I will get back to this tomorrow . . . why can this crap never be as simple as it was with my Bug? I could always get those stupid drums apart . . .
Top Top