Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2010 12:12:44 PM EST
A few students are trying to best a liberal professor by shedding some light on the gun control issue.

They have given me some questions to ponder; I thought I'd share them with the hive.

-Do you think a man who shoots an intruder on his property in the dead of night should be prosecuted, if so with what charge?

-Do you think there should be an upper limit on the caliber of firearms legal for home defense?  If so, name restrictions.

-In your opinion, are restrictions on firearms too lax or too restrictive?

-Should you have to have a license to carry a gun in your car?

-Do you think gun control should be a litmus test of political ideology?

-Do you think gun control impacts crime rate negatively or positively?

-Is the NRA an effective means of educating the public about gun safety?

I have a good idea of what I will probably say, but anything supported by data or by experts in the field, i.e. Kleck, Lott, Gertz etc. is appreciated.  Any statements or angles, esp. those which fly in the face of liberals, is good stuff.

TIA for your input!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:14:32 PM EST
Buy Lott's book:  More guns, Less Crime
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:17:42 PM EST
How about:

If a criminal is willing to break the law on ________, what makes you think he/she will obey laws regarding guns?
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:23:13 PM EST

Quoted:

A few students are trying to best a liberal professor by shedding some light on the gun control issue.

They have given me some questions to ponder; I thought I'd share them with the hive.
-Do you think a man who shoots an intruder on his property in the dead of night should be prosecuted, if so with what charge?

No.

-Do you think there should be an upper limit on the caliber of firearms legal for home defense?  If so, name restrictions.

No (although once you get above 20mm it starts getting impractical to carry).

Too restrictive.

No. No license for any kind of carry anywhere.

No, left-wing people can be as pro-gun as right-wing people although they are less common. It is more an indicator of political ideology instead of a litmus test.

Gun control increase crimes rates, criminals are emboldened by knowing their victims are unarmed, compare shall-issue to may-issue/no-issue states and also look at countries such as the UK and Australia where crimes rates are higher now than before their gun bans.

Yes. Examples include the Eddie Eagle and refuse to be a victim programs as well as the multitude of NRA training courses.

I have a good idea of what I will probably say, but anything supported by data or by experts in the field, i.e. Kleck, Lott, Gertz etc. is appreciated.  Any statements or angles, esp. those which fly in the face of liberals, is good stuff.

No expert data, just my personal 2 cents

TIA for your input!

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 12:24:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:33:53 PM EST
Quoted:

No, not enough information, maybe the person is mentally challeged and walked off from the funny farm.

No.

Too restrictive, criminals do not obey the law, law abiding citizens do.

No

Yes, ask the Russians,in the early 1900s, the Jews in the Late 1930's-40's, the Cambodians in the 1970s..the list grows

Negatively, criminals are more bold when they know people are disarmed. ie. school shootings

No, it starts at home, family responsibility

TIA for your input!

Cheers.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:35:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:38:34 PM EST
NO to all...Thanks for Playing Prof!
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:42:57 PM EST
ask the question "If you are about to be raped by a large, strong man, would you defend your self? If yes, then why would you limit your options?" If they say something about being trained in some kind of martial art or being physically capable of defending them selves, then ask "why would they not allow a cripple to defend themselves?"
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 1:58:21 PM EST
Quoted:

No.
Quoted:

No.  Caliber limits are for people who haven't read the 2A.  The only restriction possibly permissible is the only common-sense gun control law - no NBC.
Quoted:

Too restrictive.  The 2A refers to ARMS.  It does not pass judgment on magazine capacity, pistol grips, explosives, full auto capability, or those shoulder things that go up.
Quoted:

Should I have to have a license to breath through my nose?  2A doesn't make any distinction between carrying in your car, your plane, your waistband, or your horse-drawn carriage.
Quoted:

Yes.  A man who can't trust me to own the tools necessary to defend my life from criminals of the street and local/state/federal government variety shouldn't be entrusted with the picking of crabs from his own genitals.
Quoted:

Positively.
Quoted:

I really can't say.  I've never used them in that capacity.  They probably are.
Link Posted: 4/20/2010 2:33:17 PM EST
Quoted:

If GOD says that if you strike a man at night in your house and HE will not consider it murder, then who are these cretins to hold you to a higher standard?

As a law abiding citizen, you should not be forced to use a weapon that would put you and your family at an arbitrary risk due to a contrived artificial paradigm created by those whose knowledge of weapons comes from Hollywood CGI movie creations.

They are too restrictive on Republicans that are not given to dangerous compulsive urges.
They are too lax on Democrats who brag about 'just wanting to go off on someone'.

What sense does it make when those that are given to violating 'THOU SHALT NOT KILL' are going to be restrained by a law passed by a bunch of Congresscritters.

Yes, Democrats should be prohibited from owning firearms.

I don't think but know from facts that concealed carry drops personal crime.

The NRA has an effective means but the Maoist teacher's union had stopped it from doing so.

TIA for your input!

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 2:46:42 PM EST
-Do you think a man who shoots an intruder on his property in the dead
of night should be prosecuted, if so with what charge?

How am  I to know why they're IN my home at night? No person in their right mind breaks into a home at night that is not theirs , therefore one must assume they are intent on harm.

-Do you think there should be an upper limit on the caliber of
firearms legal for home defense?  If so, name restrictions.

Should police be limited to the type of caliber they use on a criminal? A 22 for B&E , a .32 on a rapist , and a 9mm on a murder? There's no reason to limit the ability or capabilities of someone to defend themselves. I would not want to limit myself should someone try to kill any member of my family.

-In your opinion, are restrictions on firearms too lax or too
restrictive?

Too restrictive, criminals will commit crimes with guns regardless of the laws. One example is Mexico , where a street war is going on 24/7. All the firearms used in these battles is illegal in the country of Mexico. The case is also identical in Brazil , where firearms are almost explicitly banned. If you would trace firearm laws & violence in the US , there is a significant amount of data that shows the more guns you have in the hands of responsible citizens, the lower the crime rate is.

I think CCW laws are good , and once licensed you should be able to carry wherever you please. Carjackings can be frequent in many areas, which are typically very violent and rarely end well for the occupant.

-Do you think gun control should be a litmus test of political
ideology?

Many times it reflects a candidates position on other things, but it isn't always the case.

-Do you think gun control impacts crime rate negatively or
positively?

I don't think, I know for a fact that gun control increases crime. See Brazil , UK , Australia , Mexico and Switzerland.

-Is the NRA an effective means of educating the public about gun
safety?

They're more effective than any gun control group is , however it's parental responsibility to teach firearms safety.

Link Posted: 4/20/2010 7:30:22 PM EST
NINE ESSENTIAL PRO-GUN WEB RESOURCES:

1. GunCite.com
2. GunFacts.info
3. JustFacts.com
4. Dave Kopel's list of gun-related articles and journals
5. Eugene Volkoh's Sources on the Second Amendment
6. Clayton Cramer's Civillian Self-Defense Blog
7. NRA-ILA List of Gun Issues
8. Doctors For Responsible Gun Ownership
9. The "Armed Citizen" News Clippings Database - Maintained by the NRA-ILA, it includes every story that's ever appeared in the "Armed Citizen" column in AMERICAN RIFLEMAN magazine since 1958.
Top Top