Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2009 5:23:38 PM EDT
Imagine you're in this scenario...

You HAVE to bug out from SHTF zombie day.   You will have a 2 day hike to an acceptable BOL stocked with all supplies EXCEPT ammo.

You can choose 2 of any the following weapons to carry (assume bug out on foot/bicycle––you forgot to gas up the stryker that day).  You would also have a sidearm.

1) AR15––beowulf variant; 300rds but heavy and only 10rds/mag; has 3x scope and red dot
2) AK47––300rds all in mags, iron sights
3) 22LR with scope, 500rds loose ammo (NON-suppressed)
4) 12ga shotgun, 100rds ammo
5) 308 remington 10x scope, 50rds ammo

Your chest harness would carry 8 AR or AK mags, any other would go in the BOB.

Your thoughts?

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It would depend on if this was say on the plains of the mid west or say the mountains of the north east or maybe the urban area of D.C. Iam going to say you meant to bug out of our own home area. so for me thats the north east. I would have to go with:

1) AK47- Moslty going to be close to mid distance from target, large mag cap, very devastating round even though your going for head shots on these nasties.
2) 12 gauge shotty- Use this for in close work.
Pistol: would have to be a 9mm Glock or Berreta- most police and military units use this round.( same reason iam torn between the AR and AK)
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
AK
12 gauge
If it wasnt a variant I would go with the AR.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd pick AK and shotgun as well, but probably just the AK as both would be cumbersome and slow you down on a two day trek by foot with that much ammo.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
.308 Semi 16" piston (POF) w/more rounds

Shotgun: Tactical Mossy pump with slugs/buck

Beo is a bad idea...where are you going to get that ammo?
Stick to commonly found rounds for SHTF!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#5]
IF that was me....ID RETOOL BEFORE THE ZOMBIES COME.  The Beowolf s a bad ass round but not for end of days senario...you ll never find bullets...Get a 223 SBR upper.  Lighter ammo, easy to come by.  Why sling two rifles and all the weight if you dont have too.  
If your stuck with what you have...the AK and the beowulf...at least you got 600 rounds.  And hopefully you can find another upper and retool when you run out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
AK and Shotgun...
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:05:51 AM EDT
[#7]
1&2
...and definately 1 would be .223 and not a variant.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:11:40 AM EDT
[#8]
2 & 3

What can I say?  I'm an ammo whore.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
2 & 4 with a Springfield XD45 for a sidearm.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
3 & 4.

My thoughts are: Why the hell do I have such a limited amount of starting ammo? Where the hell did my ammo fort at my BL go?
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Shotgun and 22lr. You dont need high power to kill zombies. A 22 will be fine als the shotgun will be for hunting, also I carry my P220 goes everwhere I go.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all.

I am planning on stocking a few things at my BOL.  Just interested in what pepole thought.  Looking at survival forum, carrying lots of ammo is tough on foot.  I have lots more than listed.

I think I'll stock the BOL with 12ga, 22LR, and probably leave the AK with the 2K rds there too. My pack would fit the 308 and I could carry the AR on me.  500rds of stopping power on the way out isnt a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]
also might want to look into a 223 bolt action. I thought about it since I reload for my AR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I would grab the AK and a sidearm, probably a .38 caliber S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I would grab the AK and shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
first things first.......

you ever hump with that much ammo? what other gear will you need to take? how fast will you need to move? in the absolute worst case scenario how long could it take to reach the BOL? do you plan to drink or eat along the way? how bad can the weather get in your AO? would you survive the worst that the season had to offer?

don't want to sound harsh but these are some serious things to consider.

ammo is heavy and taking along *extra* weapons just adds unnecessary weight. now considering that in a SHTF/zombie bug out you may need to deal with some of societies lowest element and the walking dead i would not consider the .22 an option. sure it's fine for brain eaters but crack heads that have managed to dodge the brain eaters is another story.

if a scoped bolt gun is needed to engage the threat you can just as easily avoid said threat.

a 12ga is big, slow and heavy. what it produces in damage isn't enough to make up for the drawbacks.

from your house to the BOL, how far is it? what is the terrain like? are you walking 2 days in nothing but forest or will you need to E&E in the burbs? if it's the latter of the two and it takes two days in perfect conditions i would add 1 or 2 more days to your travel time to be safe. my BOL is 15 miles from my house, once upon a time i could run that far. no water, no weapon, no gear but i could get there in a hurry. i now plan on a 3 day hump if i had to go on foot. i would rather not be seen or heard along the way.

don't need much food for 3 days but water would be nice. the down side is that it's heavy. taking a filter? is there a place to get water along the way? what if it's compromised? a group of guys hanging out there or a dead body in the water source? i trust my filter but not that damn much.

did i mention that ammo is heavy? you'll want the most bang for your buck (or pound in this case). a weapon in 5.56, 5.45, 5.7 would be ideal in a BO situation. it gives you lots of firepower in a small, light platform that can reach out 200+ yards. if all else fails then 7.62x39 would be a close runner up. the mags are too heavy but if it's all you have then i say use it.

the .50 isn't going to be of much use if you need to BO but it could be handy to have at the BOL.

one rifle (SBR preferred) and one side arm is all you should even consider taking. stash more mags and ammo at BOL along with other weapons and gear.

YMMV

AR in 5.56 and G17 FTW

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Bury some stuff at the BOL now. Tote what you can for the fight to get there. When you get there, dig up the goods and then bring the rain.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]
AK and 12ga pump-action shotgun....both are very reliable
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AK and 12ga pump-action shotgun....both are very reliable

both are heavy (mags, ammo, weapon), neither is as accurate as an AR, shotgun is only good for extremely close fighting and limited number of zeds. both should be stashed at the BOL for extended operations.

an AR will make things much easier. head shot = dead zombie, if i can clearly tell it's a zed at 300 yds then i want to drop him at 300 yds. no need to let him get close.

welcome to the zombie forum..........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top