Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2009 4:39:22 PM EDT
So, me and my cousin are going on vacation this coming weekend in Tennessee and North Carolina. We will be doing some camping around the appalachian mountains.

So we were wondering, what are some of the firearm laws that we should be concerned with?

"high" cap mags? chambered weapons inside vehicle? open carry (in woods)? rifle or handguns in vehicle unsecured?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that in North Carolina you can use any mag that will fit in the well, OC is legal,
SECURE your weapons in your vehicle if you're not in it (duh) and you can keep a
locked and loaded longarm in the cab.

If you have a pistol in the cab and you are pulled over, either put it where the officer can
see it, or tell him it's secured in the glove box. A lot of folks will hand over both their
driver's licence and CCP to the officer, to let them know. The biggest thing the police
are concerned about is the security of the firearms, they don't want them stolen through
your negligence.

Pretty good laws, mostly common sense, really.

I don't know about Tennessee, but I believe it's pretty much the same.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#2]

In TN no carry period yet (coming later) in State Parks, National Parks, and loaded firearms still a no-go in the Cherokee National Forest which covers most of the Appalachians bordering NC. No carry of any kind allowed in TN unless you have a permit.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I know that in North Carolina you can use any mag that will fit in the well, OC is legal,

SECURE your weapons in your vehicle if you're not in it (duh) and you can keep a

If you have a pistol in the cab and you are pulled over, either put it where the officer can

see it, or tell him it's secured in the glove box. A lot of folks will hand over both their

driver's licence and CCP to the officer, to let them know. The biggest thing the police

are concerned about is the security of the firearms, they don't want them stolen through

your negligence.

Not really.

Tennessee:

No intent to 'go armed'

Means no open carry

No loaded firearms, or with loaded magazines in proximity, in vehicles (think the term is 'easy access' or something - dont quote me though)

Now if you have a valid carry permit, that is reciprocated in, then things change.

Tennessee is a mishmash of old jim crow era guns laws, and newer 'freer' gun laws.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#4]
In TN, "'normal capacity" mags are legal.  We have reciprocity with TX, so if you have a permit, you can carry here, concealed or open.  No guns in state or national parks, gov't buildings, restaurants that serve alcohol (bill allowing this has passed, but is not in effect yet).  A bill was also passed recently that will allow CCW holders to have loaded rifles and shotguns in their vehicle.  I don't think it is in effect yet, so I would have all long guns unloaded and cased.  If you don't have a permit, then legallly you have to have both gun and ammo locked in seperate places so that  they are not accessible (ex, gun in glove compartment, ammo in trunk will meet this requirement).  Most places are gun friendly.  The one exception is that cesspool Memphis.  Avoid at all costs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

your negligence.

Not really.

Tennessee:

No intent to 'go armed'
Means no open carry

No loaded firearms, or with loaded magazines in proximity, in vehicles (think the term is 'easy access' or something - dont quote me though)

Now if you have a valid carry permit, that is reciprocated in, then things change.

Tennessee is a mishmash of old jim crow era guns laws, and newer 'freer' gun laws.

Nope, we are issued handgun carry permits, not concealed carry permits like some other states.  Open carry is perfectly legal, however, I do not recommend it.  There are plently of sheeple here who will call the police if they see a gun on you.  No need for the potential hassle.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

your negligence.

Not really.

Tennessee:

No intent to 'go armed'

Means no open carry

Nope, we are issued handgun carry permits, not concealed carry permits like some other states.  Open carry is perfectly legal, however, I do not recommend it.  There are plently of sheeple here who will call the police if they see a gun on you.  No need for the potential hassle.

I didnt mention 'concealed', and I said that permits change things.

TN does not have 'open carry' without a permit like other states, and like the poster I quoted says NC has.  Like what most people mean when they state 'open carry'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top