Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/25/2002 6:07:27 PM EDT
Hey Linux Guru's... I have decided I'd like to venture across to the other side. Screw XP ( I have 98 ) and would like a faster operating system. I figure I will try Linux. I have a clean partition of over 2 gigs. I will be dual booting with WIN 98. Why not just buy a cd, you may ask. Well because I am cheap, and can't justify spending 5 dollars on shipping a CD. Thats a 1/4 of an AR mag! [:D} I am trying install Linux Mandrake. I have went through the website and would like to download 8.0. I can get to the FTP site no problem, but this is where the fun begins.. there is [b]ALOT[/b] of files. Is there a FTP program that will see the directories, all the files and download them? I don't care how long it takes. I have a cable modem, so it should ease the pain somewhat. Can anyone help me out, or give me some sugggestions? Thanks! -Jared
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 6:37:57 PM EDT
Do you have a CD burner? I'd go there and download the .ISO image and burn it to a cd. Then you can install from that CD. There's a link at the top of the page to download the .ISO at [url]http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftptmp/1012014720.ff4a14387bbbd07e4710add2a95cb235.php[/url]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:15:35 PM EDT
No cd burner... Thats why I want to download it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:29:00 PM EDT
[url]www.linuxiso.org/mandrake.html[/url] Go here it seperates it into 3 downloads and lets you sum check it.Takes about 21/2 hrs if you have .5MB speed
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:43:37 PM EDT
Grizzly, I would suggest finding a local Linux User Group (LUG) and asking someone there for a CD. Here is a webpage listing seven in Wisconsin: [url]http://www.linux.org/groups/usa/wisconsin.html[/url] Even if you don't want to go, these usually have webpages and message boards; you could post a message on the one closest to your area to see if you could meet up with someone and get a CD. The way you want to go about it is an incredibly painful task. If you can't stand the thought of posting on a geeky message board [:D], you might want to try SuSE Linux, which has an over-the-network installation option (one floppy disk, boot it, tell it what server to download from, and it downloads all the required packages and sets up). I'm not aware of such a network installation setup for Mandrake.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:52:58 AM EDT
Well I don't know anything about that particular distribution of linux, but you can mount a disk image as if it were a real cd. You do this with the command `mount /mandrake.iso /mnt/mandrake -t iso9660 -o loop` :D If you're not going to do this by cd then there is a slight learning curve.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:46:54 PM EDT
Cat, Is that a dos command line? How do I go about getting them mounted and ran. I think I'll got download it. -Jared
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:10:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Grizzly660: Is that a dos command line? How do I go about getting them mounted and ran. I think I'll got download it.
View Quote
No, that is the Linux command for mounting a filesystem so that you can access it. That brings up another possible way: there are a few Linux micro-distributions that can fit on a floppy. Linux recognizes the FAT16 and FAT32 Windows filesystem formats. If you store the .ISO image on your hard drive, make a Linux floppy, boot from the Linux floppy, mount your FATxx filesystem, and then mount the .ISO, you might be able to run the installation stuff that way. Hmm.[:)] Disclaimer: I don't have the froggiest idea whether that sort of mess would work or not. Might be a fun thing to try, though!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:29:34 PM EDT
Hmmm. Well darn it! I am trying something! I just downloaded the 2nd ISO, 600megs.. Aint to bad at 225kb/s. ITs going good... Is the floppy linux like the SUSE? -Jared
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:21:22 PM EDT
[url]www.linuxiso.org/cdburninginfo.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:14:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Grizzly660: Hmmm. Well darn it! I am trying something! I just downloaded the 2nd ISO, 600megs.. Aint to bad at 225kb/s. ITs going good... Is the floppy linux like the SUSE?
View Quote
No, to fit an OS on a floppy, they basically delete everything which isn't absolutely essential. It's just enough to get things started. My ex-employer used to use one of these for hard-disk-less VPN (virtual private network) boxes for employees working at home -- the machine would boot Linux from a floppy and that in turn would run a little encryption program. Saved them the cost of the disk drives, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:06:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By odobo: i just downloaded all three ISO files, but now i need to figure out how to extract the executable/setup files so i can burn them onto the CDs. anyone?
View Quote
I don't think you have anything to extract. The ISO files are in a format that the CD burning program uses to properly put the files on the CD. I think you just have to select the ISO file and tell the CD burning program to burn it. It's done that way to make the process easy. USPC40 ------------------------------------------------- [b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url] [b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url] [b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url] [b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url] [img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Top Top