Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2004 12:39:28 PM EST
It is really a deer rifle for the future. My son is 5 so I got plenty of time to find one. Money is not a huge factor but I do like a good deal. Let's say keep it under $1000 so that rules out custom stuff pretty much. It needs to be centerfire and and I don't like the idea of an exposed hammer like on a lever action rifle or NEF/H&R. If Remington made a left hand Model 7 it would be perfect. What do you guys suggest. Again, left handed youth model suggestions needed. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:27:18 PM EST
Come on people how are we going to get young shooters involved if nobody can recommend a gun for my kid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:33:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:19:18 PM EST
You might step him up. Start with a Contender Youth Carbine. You can start him off with .22 and move up in power as he's ready. At 5 YO, you really don't need much of a thunder stick. Single shot, very safe, one shot - one hit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:26:36 PM EST
Yeah, I am aware that a kid needs to shoot a pussycat of a rifle. He started at age 4 with my Ruger AWC silenced .22 with a scope. I stay real close, real close. He likes shooting so far. I just think it would be cool to get the gun now or at least know what is available so that I could make the purchase. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:29:23 PM EST
you could buy a short action remington receiver and put it in a youth stock. if you want to get him a rifle for deer hunting, i would stick to calibers like a .243, .257 roberts, .260 rem, or if you don't mind going a little more exotic, the 6x45 or a 6mm BR. i still think that 5 is a little young to go deer hunting, but if you get him something light recoiling now and have him work on it, within the next 2-4 years, he should be ready to go out with you. another idea would be to go with a ruger no.1 rifle and cut down the stock to fit him. that way you can just get different barrels for him for down the road.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:55:41 PM EST
I know Winchester makes the Model 70 Featherweights left handed, but they might be bigger than what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:26:30 PM EST
Cookhj, Yes 5 is too young to actually hunt. I don't think any five year old is emotionally capable of handling taking the life of a deer. However, since I am such a gun fan it is only natural to make such a big deal out of my first of two sons hunting rifle. Since the hour that I found out I was having my first son I have been been debating what would be the perfect rifle for him. I had no idea he would be left handed since neither his mother or I am left handed. Also, you missed part of the post I think since this is for a left hand person. Remington makes no left hand youth model that I know of so far. I am a big Remington fan and would get a Model 7 youth gun if it were offered in a left hand version. Weight might rule out the Ruger #1 since it is heavy as hell.

I started to wonder if I could get a custom stock from Boyd's or someone,
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:49:11 PM EST
I got the NEF.

I have three kids, one southpaw and two righty's. The NEF is pretty light, I need to download 7mm-08 to keep it comfortable. .243 would probably be better.

I start my kids with the .22 when they can hold it themselves. I stay real close, but 5 isn't to young.

I was fishing on Kodiak Island a few years ago. The guide lived 8 hours from town by boat. He started his kids deer hunting at 8 with a .223. The family were each allowed 5 deer a year, and every member got their limit.

He taught his kids by letting them shoot a bb gun. When they could hit a bottle cap every time(I don't remember the range), he'd move them up to the .22. By age 8 each of them was shooting ducks every day of the season and deer every year.

I haven't found any problems with kids and killing animals when the kids are raised knowing and seeing where meat comes from. I think not being able to handle killing an animal is an adult problem, not a problem for a kid.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:29:53 PM EST
Lost -Drive-In? Is your NEF a youth model or regular model?

Top Top