Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/16/2001 5:49:00 PM EDT
I need to drain the water from the water heater for winter storage. I can not find a drain lever or any other type of device. There ia not even a drain line (tube) anywhere under the heater. The heater is located in the back of the camper w/ a control panel to start the pilot. there is a access panel inside the trailer , but it needs a special "square" type of driver to remove. Under the trailer is covered w/ a cloth so I can not see the plumbing . I have drained the lines already just have the water heater left. Thanks for all help.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:38:29 PM EDT
On my trailer (a 99 19'Tahoe)the drain plug is at the bottom of the outside panel inside below the pilot. It is a whitish plastic plug. Its in the lower left corner.I think its about 3/4". It looks like a plastic bolt.I take it off with a socket. I would think that is pretty standard. You "should" find yours in the exterior access panel. Also you can get that square drive screwdriver at Home Depot in the Huskey tool section for a few bucks. I bought one for a special trailer related tool box I put together.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 9:54:58 PM EDT
The water heater in my RV is a Suburban brand, and is pretty much in the same location as what Redhawk described, except that it's a cast iron pipe plug. I use a socket wrench and extension to remove it. Turn the city water hookup on while it's removed, and the resulting geyser will do a pretty good job of flushing the crud out of your water heater tank! Also, unless you've got an Atwood with an aluminum tank, there is also an annode that should be replaced every few years to prevent tank corrosion. On the Suburbans, it's located INSIDE the RV, on the back side, and requires a pretty large wrench or socket to remove. Camping World sells replacement annodes for under $10 — cheap insurance.
Top Top