Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2002 4:26:14 AM EDT
Hey guys, I need some ideas writing up a responce to this letter, which was posted in the opinion section in todays Pioneer Press.

Whose Rights lost?
"We are loosing our rights" say individuals at the recent Duluth NRA rally quoted in the Pioneer Press.  Yes, those of us who dont need guns to protect ourselves have lost our rights to feel safe.  The powerful gun lobby cares only about the "gun woshipers" rights.
The NRA has endorsed and given lots of money to Norm Coleman and Tim Pawlenty.  Who will protect the children and the agerage citizen?  Not the gun lobby.
I am not for taking away every one's guns, but I do not want loaded, concealed handguns on MN's streets, no do I want sniper or assault weapons (the assault weapon ban expires in Sept. 2004) accessible to the public.
The message is clear.  Vote the gun lobby out of our government.

If you could help me out, I would appriceate it.
Thanks!
-Marksman
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, let them know that they spelled the word [b]losing[/b] incorrectly.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I need some ideas writing up a responce to this letter, which was posted in the opinion section in todays Pioneer Press....
-Marksman
View Quote

How about something along the lines of the following (shorten up your version to get it published):

"In response to [hoplophobe's name here]'s letter, I have a few questions.

Why do you use derisive terms like 'gun worshipper' and 'gun lobby'? We're just American citizens, the same as you, who happen to own an inanimate object. Yet we have to deal with constant negative publicity and public attacks for it. Is there a 'Honda Civic' lobby or 'front-wheel drive worshippers'? What about a 'microwave oven' lobby? It's just another thing we own and choose to learn how to use.

Why do you equate the protection and exercising of gun owners' rights with a lack of security for you and yours? Dozens of states now allow 'loaded, concealed handguns' and show no notable increase in firearm accidents and/or misuse by those carrying them.

Do you truly understand what you're saying with the terms you use? Most military and police snipers use little more than heavy-barreled versions of run-of-the-mill deer rifles. Considering that  California's 'assault rifle' ban accidentally outlawed lever-action 'Cowboy' rifles, merely because they held more than ten rounds, a poorly worded law could easily ban *any* accurate hunting gun. So-called 'assault rifles' have already been severely restricted or banned, but anti-gun politicians and sensationalist media periodically expand and redefine the definition and perception of the phrase until it includes nearly any self-loading rifle.

Whether you realize it or not, you *are* for 'taking away everyone's guns'. You're simply supporting it incrementally and, hopefully, unknowingly. And that is exactly what we're talking about when we work against 'losing our rights'.

[Heroic gun-owner's name here]"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top