Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 12:31:06 AM EDT
dupe from GD

How do I pull the captured rotor on a the front disc system of a 92 Accord LX???  Do I have to pull the whole CV shaft OR do I just need to remove the spindle nut ( center position 36 mm nut ) from the center of the rotor/bearing retaining plate?

Need a solid answer with no guesswork, so I hope some of you mechanics are up late tonight.

Thanks, Guys!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You've gotta remove the hub bearing/rotor assembly by removing the four (I think) 10mm bolts behind the hub, remove the CV axle nut, sometimes you've gotta push/pull the rotor and hub assembly off with a puller that bolts onto the hub via the lug studs then uses a center arbor to press onto the CV axle stub.  In any case, once the hub/rotor is removed, remove the bolts on the outside of the hub/rotor assembly and seperate the hub from the rotor.  It's a goofy, stupid design that Honda thankfully abandoned in the late '90s.

ETA - Sometimes, the hub bearing is a very tight fit into the spindle - and the spindle is aluminum on this car, IIRC, so take care in what you're beating on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
On my 98 it has 2 screws that have to be removed with an impact hammer ($6) remove caliper and get resurafaced for $5.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you figure it out? I'm a Honda tech in Scottsdale. Let me know if you still need help.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
On all the Hondas I've worked on (lots and lots), just unbolt the caliper and use and impact driver to take off the rotor screws.  That's all, it'll come right off.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
90 to 97 Accords have captured rotors. You have to pull the hub and bearing out first to remove the rotor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Did you figure it out? I'm a Honda tech in Scottsdale. Let me know if you still need help.

May take you up on that for some advice.  Looks like I have an idea of what to do but I want to be able to go by the book inorder that I don't waste a ton of time doing this.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Can I ask why you want to change them? They usually last forever here in Arizona. If they just need to be turned have them done on the car. We do it all the time. Can't remember the last time I changed a set.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top