Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2010 1:03:48 PM EDT
..I heard something the other day on the radio, the law has some type of name to it where if the spill happens on land the company is responsible, but if it happens at sea then the exeutive branch is responsible for the effort.

TIA

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

..I heard something the other day on the radio, the law has some type of name to it where if the spill happens on land the company is responsible, but if it happens at sea then the exeutive branch is responsible for the effort.

TIA

Isnt this thing in international waters?

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Yeah, but the oil pocket extends under the entire North American continent.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#3]
how dare you question if the king has the powers. commerce clause what they use to regulate and grab there power all the time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA

Isnt this thing in international waters?

Only for sailing, NOT for commerce. ETJ extends 200 miles for commercial fishing, drilling, whatever.

Since the crap is washing up on our shores, I'm sure that lots of federal agencies under the executive branch already have authority to deal with it regardless of O's involvement.

Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read that the clean water act gives the executive branch the authority to do a lot of things in a case like this, didn't really look into it any deeper than that though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, there are several laws which give the EPA jurisdiction over oil spills, both on land or at sea.

The Clean Water Act, Resource Conservation Recovery Act, and Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, to name a few.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
In 1994, the Feds were required to keep fire booms in the area in case of a spill.

Not only were there none in the area, they didn't even own one.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/05/fire_boom_oil_spill_raines.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top