Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/3/2009 3:12:40 AM EST
So ... wife and I are not big TV watchers but it might be time for an upgrade. The one TV we have is a like a 17" bubble from 1990 - seriously. I'm not a videophile but I would like to get something that will last (as you can tell) and a good value ... in other words I don't want to drop 750 on a TV and then have it look jumpy / blurry (go big or go home )

The room is reasonably dark with no windows opposite the TV, and nice blinds on other windows so it can be darkened easily if needed.

Criteria: this is what I've narrowed it down to ...
Max dimensions - 39.25" W and 26.75" H (needs to fit in our armoire on a stand, will not be wall mounted)
Resolution - 1080p, please
LCD or Plasma - I can't find a plasma that fits in armoire so have been leaning toward LCD.
Screen Size - 32, 37 or 40. Currently leaning towards a 37
Brand - Unknown ... prefer something like Samsung, LG or Vizio
Usages - TV, streaming netflix, DVDs (non bluray - at least for now), possibly some xBox 360 games

Open questions!
Speakers - I don't plan on getting any additional speakers anytime soon - which brand has the best built in sound?
60 vs 120 hz (LCD) - Which do I need? I googled it quite a bit and didn't find anything definitive. Some love it and some hate it.
HDMI cables - Is there a difference? Which ones are a good value to get?

What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:22:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 3:30:22 AM EST by Desperado]
I just bought a 40" Toshiba Full HD LCD TV from CompUSA (my first flat screen TV), on sale for $599 ($200 off), and have been very pleased with it!
They also had the same thing in a 32" on sale for $399.
They are currently still on sale!

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4893170&sku=T24-4008%20BX

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:33:00 AM EST
wait until black Friday should be something out there, and that small isn't in much demand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:36:26 AM EST
Black Friday ads are just starting to leak out...surely there will be some good deals on decent TVs.

FWIW, i just bought my parents a 40" Toshiba (it's their Christmas present) and it is an amazing TV, almost as nice as any Sony, LG, Samsung, etc...at a nice discount. Much nicer than my cheapo 42"

Speed
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:36:34 AM EST
LED if you have the Cash. Samsung has some nice ones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:14:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 4:16:06 AM EST by yumbeef]
i'd recommend buying from Sams with their 100% satisfaction guarantee. costco used to have it for the life time of electronics, but started limiting their 100% satisfaction to 3 years about 2 years ago. i'd keep a copy of their 100% guarantee and your receipt.
as for plasma vs lcd, i like lcd screens more due to lower power consumption and heat generation.
ETA:
as for hdmi cables, get some 1.3b hdmi cables off amazon.com for about $1 with another dollar or two for shipping. order 3 or 4 since they're cheap. if you buy hdmi cables from best buy, expect to pay $20+ for a single cable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:19:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By JoePatriot:
LED if you have the Cash. Samsung has some nice ones.

this
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:22:09 AM EST
A Samsung LED backlit model would be great. 120hz vs 60hz... eh, for 99% of what I watch the 60hz is fine, for some sports I enable the 120hz but for the most part it makes everything look weird (I am on my way out the door or else I would explain the technical reasoning behind it regarding framerates, etc).
Top Top