Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2001 12:03:56 PM EDT
I got a DVD player a while back, and am going to start building a basic "Library" of DVD's to have around
    when I want to watch them (without having to go to the local Video Store and use their meager selection).

What are your opinions on the 3 to 5 best in each category--

Please give it a little thought--I have a couple of DVD's I made the mistake of buying, and will probably never
    watch them again. I have a couple that I will watch over and over again--that is what I mean by "classics"--if I
    have something I consider to be in that class, I put it in parentheses:

Action

Martial Arts

Movies with the Best Gun Action (Heat)

Comedy (Animal House)

Western (The Wild Bunch)

Suspense

Sci-Fi.

"Chick Flicks"--got to have a couple of those to keep the wife happy.

Adult Movies suitable for Couples

and,

If you cannot fit it into another class--the one I usually consider watching is the "Mindless Drivel with lots of T &
    A, Gratuitous Violence and Gratuitious Sex--for when I want to sit and be mindless for a little while".

Thanks!!

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
pardon the spelling errors
no paticular order
must get DVDS

The matrix
Both Terminators
Apcolypse Now (exceleent with Surround sound)
The Patriot
Gladiator
Die Hard 1-3

if i think of anymore ill list em
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The Matrix fills the Martial Arts, Gun Play and SciFi bills.

Saving Private Ryan and The Patriot are good ones to have around for historical purposes.  You already said Heat.

Personal favorites of mine are Gladiator, Kelly's Heroes, Face off(For those sweet Springfields), The Dirty Dozen, Patton.

Don't forget Full Metal Jacket(a must have)

A good chick flick that I like is You've got Mail.  She can laugh at all the romantic comedy while you can oogle Meg Ryan.

For a good SciFi movies I recomend Stargate, and Spaceballs(I know).

Comedy is tricky, It depends on what you like.  Me, I like Ferris Bullers Day Off and Happy Gilmore.

I hope these help to round out your collection.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Titanic-chick flick
dumb an dumber-comedy
predator-action/gun action
any clint movie -western/action
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont forget Hercules in New York-Arnold
and the all time classics
Death Race 2000
Blood Sucking Freaks
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Braveheart is a fine film

Tombstone is a good western

Alien and Aliens were good.  Everything after 2 blew a fat one though

Blade is a good martial arts/action/vampire movie

The Conan movies were good

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a good comedy

Lone Wolf McQuaid is a good Chuck Norris movie

I could go on, but that's enough for now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got Platoon on DVD.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell yeah, Apocalypse Now!! I have a 5:1 digital surround sound and that is an AWESOME flick! Da Dan Da da da Dan, da......

Gladiator!!!! You'll watch it over and over and over again. Great movie.

Bravehart. Haven't seen on DVD yet but great flick, sure it's even better on DVD.

Das Boot. Great German made movie about Uboats in WWII. Maybe a little long for some people (almost 3 hours) but I liked it, bought it, and watch it over and over.

I didn't like Saving private ryan. Think the movie sucked and I hate tom hanks movies and I'll say it aloud. I'm about the only person I know who felt that way about the movie, but hey, gotta throw in my 2 cents about it.

Classics? Animal house, Blues Brothers, Army of Darkness, Hellraiser, Cool Hand Luke, Death Race 2000, Patton, Easy Rider, Rocky Horror(cult classic? :-)

Good action flicks? The Rock, Con Air, Die Hard movies, Terminators, Commando, Rambos

Chick flicks? Hmm, I don't have a better half so I mostly have horror and action flicks that seem to drive women away. (Or maybe it's because I consider going to the gun range a "date" [:)])

Anyway, Far and Away comes to mind, Top gun, Days of Thunder. Most all Tom Cruise movies have enough action to still keep you interrested. She can google over Tom Cruise and the intimate relationships going on in the movie while you google over the girl and get off on the loud noises and fast action.

Comedy? Hot shots and Hot Shots: Part Deux were good, dont know if they are on DVD yet or not. Waynes World, Scary Movie was hilarious, (and that's coming from somebody who also hates both wayans). Dogma was an awesome flick. You should see it if you haven't. I went and bought it the day after I took the rental back because I wanted to see it for the 5th time. (watched it 4 times with it rented)

Others, I liked Coyote Ugle, that was a good movie, wife would probably like it too. Highlander is a good movie. Highlander 2 kind of sucked because it made absolutely NO sense, but the rest were good.

That's all I can think of right now. Mostly I'm looking at the ones I already own or have on my "to buy" list. Will post again if one screams out to me. Hey, Scream was good...
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Some good suggestions here.  I've seen most/all of them, have a few on VHS, but will slowly replace the videos with DVD's (may just bundle up a bunch of the VHS and trade them on gun stuff).

DOGMA--loved that flick too!!

I actually have Gladiator and The Patriot on DVD, but since they are relatively new, I have not really decided if they are hype or classics yet (i.e. if I get tired of them quickly!!).

AFARR
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
My basics would have to include (of those not already listed in earlier posts):

Blazing Saddles - Still funny as hell after all these years.

Silverado - Good gun play, fun stuff.

Tin Cup - Good golf movie, women love Kevin Costner and Don Johnson, you get to drool over Reneé Russo.

My definition of a great movie is: If you run across it while channel surfing you will ALWAYS stop to watch it to the end.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Scarface.  
Red dawn
Anything with Jane Fonda, and Rosie O' Donnell.
C-rock
[url]www.illinois-shooter.org
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top