Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2016 5:27:17 PM EDT

*put this in GD for faster response.

I am heading up to the Canadian Rocky mountains to do some outdoorsy stuff.  Everything needs to be carried in on my back and I havent had to use a back pack in years other than a small hiking pack that I have had since the 80's.

I need to find a good (money no object) long range pack that has mucho carry space.  I will also have to tie equipment to the exterior of the back so I was thinking something like a military pack but I dont have a clue who makes the good stuff.

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I am heading up to the Canadian Rocky mountains to do some outdoorsy stuff.  Everything needs to be carried in on my back and I havent had to use a back pack in years other than a small hiking pack that I have had since the 80's.

I need to find a good (money no object) long range pack that has mucho carry space.  I will also have to tie equipment to the exterior of the back so I was thinking something like a military pack but I dont have a clue who makes the good stuff.

Any help appreciated.
View Quote

I've had one of these http://www.ospreypacks.com/us/en/product/aether-70-AETHER70_702.html for 4 years and put many, many miles on it.  Absolutely love it - comfortable, light for a big pack, can pack tons of crap in it, comfortable (yes, I know).  Mine looks a little different and I do have a couple places to hang stuff off it, but if you're going to be hiking a long distance, I highly recommend NOT hanging a lot of shit off your pack.  It gets in the way, fucks with your balance, makes noise and in generally is "Not Good".  Put it in the pack - if you can't, get a bigger pack, figure out what you don't need or don't take it.  Just my $0.02.

Highly recommend the osprey stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't just buy the first one you see OP.   You need to try them ON!

It is very important you get a pack that fits your upper torso and carries the weight on your back in the proper position.

I have found that Gregory packs work very well for me, while my wife really likes Osprey...  they tend to fit her alot better than other brands.

Do some research and go to a local store and try on 3-4 different brands and sizes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like my two 5.11 Rush backpacks. The 72 would likely suit you well.

Rush 72
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
In before 2 pages of recommendations for 7lb "tactical" packs covered in webbing.

OP, what kind of outdoorsy stuff? Backpacking? Hunting? Smuggling prescription drugs? Fighting wildfires?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Osprey Atmos AG 65. I'm not sure if that will be big enough for your needs but the quality and comfort is good to go in my book. They have older model Atmos packs without the AG desination. I think the only difference is that the AG supposedly keeps your back cooler. FYI.

What are you planning on taking?

If you have an REI or similar store, go there, talk to a sales rep, load them up and walk around the store for as long as possible. Learn how to properly tighten one down, try a bunch.

Dueter, Osprey, and Gregory are all a good start.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I like my CFP-90. Very comfortable for me and fits everything I need for an extended trip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It is very important you get a pack that fits your upper torso and carries the weight on your back in the proper position.

I have found that Gregory packs work very well for me, while my wife really likes Osprey...  they tend to fit her alot better than other brands.

Do some research and go to a local store and try on 3-4 different brands and sizes.
View Quote

This. I like my Gregory Baltoro 65 but it is 5lbs empty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:40:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In before 2 pages of recommendations for 7lb "tactical" packs covered in webbing.

OP, what kind of outdoorsy stuff? Backpacking? Hunting? Smuggling prescription drugs? Fighting wildfires?
View Quote

Mining
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Anything Osprey.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Kifaru or GTFO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I second the Osprey Atmos 65 AG, love mine. The most I've packed for is 4 days though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Money no object you say.

Mystery Ranch or Kifaru.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I am really liking the Kifaru EMRII but looks like they have a 3 week build time.  That might not make it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Osprey Atmos
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#16]
You want a civilian mountain pack like an Osprey that everyone keeps mentioning. They are designed for comfort in mind unlike say a Military style rucksack like a Alice. However The civilian style packs are not designed to be as durable or have as much weight in them IMHO. I have gone 6 hours under a 55lb pack like an Osprey and I'd say that's about as much weight as I'd want in one, but it was still pretty comfortable. You know you have a good pack when it fits the curve of your back and all the weight can be put on your hip belt and still be comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Osprey fan here. I do a couple of extended trips per year.

I'd suggest getting to REI. Labor Day sale begins this weekend.

At our local store, they have a cute young lady to help fit you. They load it with weight, measure you, ask what you'll carry and whatnot. She spent over an hour with my 19 y/o son*

*said son later confessed he had a good fit in about 10 mins, but he was working to get her info.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Mining
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mining

Well, you might need a 7lb pack covered in webbing.

It depends on your actual use, but a lot of backpacking packs are going to be a bit fragile, and not designed to carry a bunch of weight. If you decide to go that route, Osprey makes a very nice pack.
You're probably going to want to look at something more for hunting or tactical use, which is out of my lane. I hear Kuiu makes very nice packs designed to carry big loads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Go to Rei, they always have very helpful and knowledgeable people in the backpack department. When it doubt get an osprey.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

It depends on your actual use, but a lot of backpacking packs are going to be a bit fragile, and not designed to carry a bunch of weight. If you decide to go that route, Osprey makes a very nice pack.

You're probably going to want to look at something more for hunting or tactical use, which is out of my lane. I hear Kuiu makes very nice packs designed to carry big loads.
View Quote

Its going to have to be heavy duty as I will have to strap a high banker or large stream sluice to the back of it.  Pick ax to the sides etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Mystery Ranch

Covered in webbing or not, they have both
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
i have a gregory, go to rei they can fit you
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any help appreciated.
View Quote

Used Kifaru EMR.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Anything Osprey.
View Quote
+ a million on this one. Just came back from 60 mile hike in Norway. Osprey pack was stellar. Get fitted for your size or have someone measure you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am really liking the Kifaru EMRII but looks like they have a 3 week build time.  That might not make it.
View Quote

You might call them to see if they had any in stock or if their lead times could be less for that particular pack.  Another option would be to check the classifieds on rokslide.com  They're bulletproof packs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Its going to have to be heavy duty as I will have to strap a high banker or large stream sluice to the back of it.  Pick ax to the sides etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was about to echo what's been said about Osprey, REI, and getting fitted until I saw this.

Now I'm going to say Mystery Ranch, or Kifaru for the win, with a Hill People Gear up front.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mining
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mining

You need a mule or three.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#29]
If you are hiking, buy lightweight hispeed commercial shit from the brands already mentioned.

I would skip out on mil gear because its mostly made to be so durable, that joe cant break it, and in the process it ends up heavy as fuck.

My commercial rucksack+tent+sleeping bag+sleep mat all together weight less than my issue MOLLE rucksack when it is empy. Think about that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Kifaru or GTFO.
View Quote

Dude, I am a huge Kifaru fan, own 10 of their packs, but after buying a Gregory Baltoro 65, I don't know if I'll be selling half of those 10 or not...

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Go to a REI.

Try on a bunch of packs.

Seriously.  A good backpacking pack is like a pair of shoes.  You are going to be suffering with that thing, go find one that makes the experience less uncomfortable.

Also, a good pair of boots is a life-saver.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Mystery Ranch. You can adjust them to fit your torso length, the Y configure is the best thing ever and they are incredibly comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Eberlestock Dragonfly it expands to 7200 cu and has a rifle scabbard
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Gregory Baltoro 85.  All kinds of room, excellent pack.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Any help appreciated.
View Quote

As already covered, Osprey or Mystery Ranch. The best of the best
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kifaru or GTFO.
View Quote

Meh. I tried one on. Still bought the Kuiu Ultra.

And I grabbed a Icon Pro for a day pack.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kifaru or GTFO.

I liked my kuiu icon pro up to about 45lbs but then it sucked donkey balls and when the shoulder straps began failing that was enough. I went with a stone glacier and it's no comparison. I'd like to try a Kifaru but I'm really digging my stone glacier so I haven't felt the need to call Kifaru yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#39]
ULA Circuit is what you need! I have one and love it. Shit load of color options.

The ULA 210 Robic fabric is lightweight and bomb proof. Cordura fabric for the camo variants if you want it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:11:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Mystery Ranch.  The suspension system is everything.

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:16:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Aimless knows whats up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:16:58 AM EDT
[#42]

This. I have a Catalyst. Rock solid.

BUT- for the gear your are talking about, an external frame pack would probably be better.

Check out the Seek Outside packs here- https://seekoutside.com/revolution-hunting-packs/. Super versatile and tough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Mystery Ranch.  The suspension suspension system is everything.
View Quote

This. Its mystery ranch then everything else.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Mystery Ranch
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
From a real long range hiker, the Kelty 7850 AKA 128 is what you seek.

Even after days and day of humping everything and the kitchen sink, it still feels like you have the most comfortable high end hotel pillows on your back.

Also, Kelty has amazing customer service. There was a small issue with my bag when I first received it but didn't want to use it and risk not being able to return if it turned into a problem. I had a 2 week year long planned trip in three days... Kelty overnighter a whole new bag from Canada along with a return tag and letter that said enjoy your trip and don't bother sending the return till you get back! Fucking customer for life right then and there!!!

Pack holds duel bladders on each side and the stuff in the bottom of main area is accessible from front. Super tough and we'll thought out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Where in WA are you, and when are you leaving?  Could probably loan you my Kifaru EMR GenI if other options don't work out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you are hiking, buy lightweight hispeed commercial shit from the brands already mentioned.

I would skip out on mil gear because its mostly made to be so durable, that joe cant break it, and in the process it ends up heavy as fuck.

My commercial rucksack+tent+sleeping bag+sleep mat all together weight less than my issue MOLLE rucksack when it is empy. Think about that.
View Quote

I have to echo this one. I section hike the AT weekly using high end commercial gear. None of my USMC shit comes with me, because it's shit and heavy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Rush 72
View Quote

Hell no, go with the Osprey in the first post.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, get a donkey and a ULA circuit

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:37:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rush 72

The 5.11 backpacks are ok for travel and that's about it. No frame, useless waist belt, and very heavy for what they are. Extremely uncomfortable to wear for any amount of time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top