Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 5:49:13 AM EDT
I recently attended the Basic Sniper school.  I used a Savage 10FP Tactical in .223.  The scope that was usd a Simmons 2.5x12x40mm tactical scope.  I didnot want to invest a lot of money into the package until I seen if I would like it or could do it.  

No I have decided that I want to set up the gun to keep it.  I am looking for a good scope.  I want a Leupold, but am not going to pay that much for a scope.  What would be a good scope to get that is not going to kill my pocket book.  I understnad that the scope needs to be excellent quality, but I need a cost-effidient alternative.

Any help will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:59:32 AM EDT
You're not talking about putting an el cheapo on a duty rifle, I hope.

If you are, you need to tell someone higher up that SOMEONE COULD DIE if the POS scope that they wanted to save $200 on shifts zero in the case because someone gave it a whack..and you pop Suzie Soccermom's melon instead of the shithead you intended to shoot.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:18:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 6:20:09 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:15:05 AM EDT
If this rifle will actually have lives hanging in the balance:

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M3LR....about $700.

I would feel horrible if I killed an innocent person with a scope that cost less.

This is just me though.

I'm sure a Super Sniper scope would work too and might be the best cost effective solution -- but it 's no Leupold.

Maybe the Nikon Tactical line??
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:28:46 AM EDT
I have a 4.5x14 Matte VXIII Leupold with sun shield for $400.
It is as new condition.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:50:17 AM EDT
Actually, I kinda hope you’re not going to be using a .223 for a duty sniper rifle.  But that’s just my personal opinion, nothing more. [:)]

Agree with [b]Aimless[/b] re: contacting SWFA.

You might also ask over at [url]www.snipercountry.com[/url], though I suspect they’ll tell you to get a Leupold.  They have some optics reviews here: [url]www.snipercountry.com/inreview.htm#Optics[/url].
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:53:10 PM EDT
I've done some "precision shooting" in the Army and for our PD SWAT.  
Some advice, the majority of your 'precision shots' will be under 120 yards, and likely under 70 yards.  Do not waste your time, or money , for a mil-dot reticle for these close range shots.  Instead, budget a high quality, durable range finder with 'rain mode'.  It will more accurate and much quicker than computing your shot with the mil-dot rangefinding system.
Mil-dot rangefinding systems are generally for longer distance on a known-size target.  In the majority of tactical situations you are only going to have a partial view of the suspect, and therefore would have to use the doorway, usually 6'-8" for residential and 7' for commercial as your known-size target for range estimating.
You are on track with the scope power beginning at 2.5.  You won't need a scope that starts at a higher power for such short ranges.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:22:04 PM EDT
Go with a Leupold, you can't go wrong. You don't need mildots for the typical ranges we shoot at, a variable power duplex reticle scope will work fine and if you need to range targets, the duplex is very effective at our engagement ranges once you learn how to use it.
I'm with 199 on the .223, why use it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:58:51 AM EDT
I agree with everyone that says get good glass.My PD gave me a leuopold scope with my rifle. If you passed the sniper school with what you have now, cool, document that fact. As stated above we do not get into long range situations on a regular basis. Your confidence in your system is more important than anything else.I am a working police sniper and have been on several real calls. As someone said, drop the "L" bomb on your management. (Liability)
They should provide you with the equipment if they expect you to do the job. I was amazed when I went to sniper school how many guys were there with personal rifles. That is bullshit. I work for a small city myself but I would not buy a sniper rifle for duty use. How much do you trust your city? If you miss a shot will they leave you twisting in the wind? "Officer X, was this weapon ever certified by the city of Y?". Lot to think about in this line of work. Stay safe and good luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:02:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SHIVAN:
If this rifle will actually have lives hanging in the balance:

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M3LR....about $700.

View Quote

What he said.

Just do it.
Top Top