Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2003 10:28:17 PM EDT
Guys, I'm in a pissing contest on another non-gun board of mine where we are talking about gun control. There's a guy from Kali that refuses to believe that the gub'mint would/has ever come to someone's homes and taken their SKS or would do so.

If you guys have any links to seizures of SKS's or any other of the banned weapons in Kali, please post or pm them.

I'd be greatful.

Dave
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
www.nramemberscouncils.com/contracosta/FaxAlerts/sksalert.shtml

If you didn't turn the models in question in or sell them out of state you are considered a felon and therefore subject to arrest and prosecution if the State finds you in possession.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just for clarification... it was the SKS model D or 'Sportsters' that was eventually banned. The one that accepted AK magazines. Not the regular SKS, with the fixed 10 round mag.

Those that registered them with the CA DOJ, were told to:

a) Destroy the rifle
b) Surrender the rifle to a law enforcement agency
d) Sell the rifle to a licensed California "assault weapon" dealer
e) Dispose of the rifle out of state

Read the last two paragraphs from this link.

A beneficial provision in the new law, which offers immunity to those who act on one the options listed above by the January 2000 deadline, has helped to prevent hundreds of law-abiding gun owners from being charged as felons. Another provision allows persons who have already been convicted for conduct relating to an SKS rifle purchased between January 1, 1992 and December 17, 1997, to withdraw their guilty plea or to reopen their case and assert the immunities provided by the law. If you purchased an SKS rifle during that time period, and have been wrongfully arrested, charged, or convicted please contact NRA's Sacramento office at (916) 446-2455.

www.crpa.org/sep01michel.html

Timeline:
www.simonov.net/chronology.htm
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm looking for specific examples where the Gendarme came knocking on the door (or busted it down) and seized a man's SKS/banned rifle.

Thanks again,

Dave
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm looking for specific examples where the Gendarme came knocking on the door (or busted it down) and seized a man's SKS/banned rifle.

Thanks again,

Dave

Dont think that happened. They dont have the manpower nor the resources to do that. the second though they legalize marijuana they will have the manpower. Maybe I should change my view on legalizing pot???

But seriously, I dont know if ther ever was a case where they came-a-knockin'

Then again I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Most Assault Weapon Law arrests come after the person is being investigated or arrested for something else. There was a guy in LA who had a criminal run through his house and the cops followed, noticing assault weapons out around the house and arrest the guy for not having them registered.

I don't have any links handy but what our lovely DOJ has been doing lately is going after people with restraining orders to remove their guns.  These are usually guys going through a divorce where the wife takes one out, which is becoming almost standard practice these days.  The cops even went after a guy who reconciled with his wife but the wife forgot to end the restraining order.

Edited to add link to article about the raids:
www.ggnra.org/newsletters/2003/jan/page3.shtml
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Ratters has it right.

There haven't been any JBT/no-knock type raids on people's homes for having an SKS or other "Assault Weapon".

The game plan is to alter the laws so that EVERYONE is a felon, it only remains for the State to determine when they will drop the hammer on you.

It's one of the reasons that I've vowed to keep a low profile in my life.  Anything you do that puts you on the radar might end up costing you big time later.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to add that the AW ban in and of itself is just a delayed form of confiscation as we are not allowed to pass on the firearms even to family upon our death.  They can be sold out of state, but barring that they must be given up for destruction according to the law.  It isn't about JBT knocking down doors, it is about making us feel like criminals and for subjecting us to government will.  There are thousands, who have caused no harm, who either without knowing about it, or in defiance of it, not registered their weapons, and for the simple act of doing nothing are now felons.  Sometimes I really hate this state.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's one of the reasons that I've vowed to keep a low profile in my life.  Anything you do that puts you on the radar might end up costing you big time later.

It's not easy being a stealth hell-raiser, is it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
www.keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3273

This is a link to more about the sks stuff.  The video link doesn't work anymore.  Too bad because it had a lot of information in it.  That video actually got a lot of airtime in CA on tv.  I think there was also a vhs tape of this, although I'm not sure.  I don't think there were any raids over this either.  There were, however, a lot of letters sent out and subsequently a lot of voluntary turn ins.  Kind of hard to deny you have something when you send in the registration yourself.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Why fuck around, if you want info on the SKS
you need to go to this website:
www.simonov.net

Direct links from www.simonov.net:

www.nrawinningteam.com/states/Lindex.html

Military-veteran NRA Member obeying
Dan Lungren's confiscation order (1/28/98)
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
The vast majority of people I know did not register their guns back in 1999. They don't shoot them at the range either. They're now safe queens.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Remeind him of how Maryland laws are very close to Kali's and during the Maryland Sniper bit the MDSP came and TOOK 5,000 AR15's from Maryland residents.

That is a fact.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't think of any I have heard of that were not tied into other activities or crimes where they showed up as products of the ensuing search, car stops, etc.  I haven't heard of any raids or home searches that didn't tie to another incident.

In other words, they have been on a don't ask don't tell routine.  If they find out, yeah they may do something but they haven't gone on any fishing expeditions.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
the DOJ never went after anyone for the SKS-D, and they werent registered by the owners.
the chinese model some with thumbhole stocks and detach AK mags, were allowed by the Kali gov to be imported and sold in the state believing that they did NOT violate the RR89 law. i believe HCI sued the kali DOJ and got things changed around to screw gun owners.

the DOJ said to turn them in for a $230 voucher (the value of the gun), or get them out of the state. there was NO registration (contrary to some beliefs) of these guns, thats another issue. it was reported that only 11% of the SKSs banned ones and prolly lots of UN-banned ones were turned in, about 230-something total.

the guns werent registered so theres no way for the DOJ to find the people with these guns.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Actually some of the guns were registered through and "amnesty" Lundgren put forward and that was challenged in court and found not to be valid so that those who did register were basically screwed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Actually some of the guns were registered through and "amnesty" Lundgren put forward and that was challenged in court and found not to be valid so that those who did register were basically screwed.

Correct Ratters. I don't have specific examples, but those people who did register their Norinco SKSs were infact sent letters threatening prosecution unless they surrendered said weapons. Many owners, complied rather than face prosecution.

This is the reason there was such non-compliance with DOJs AR/AK registration scheme in Y2K.
If 'ol Danny boy (Lungren) tried to prosecute those who didn't comply in Y2K, they couldn't build enough jails to house them all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top