Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/30/2002 7:49:15 PM EDT
I just bought a beautiful Browning safe.  Beautiful metalic green paint job, the works. The shippers left it on a pallet in the middle of my garage.  They wouldnt take it into the house.  Now the problem arises, the thing weighs 600s.  Whats the easiest way to move this thing into the closet? I have to navigate a couple of 90 degree turns. I also dont want to damage the new house, the safe or the buddies in this endeavor.  I saw these plastic frizbees that slide on the carpet, will they work?  How about removing the doors of the house and the safe.  Appliance dolly?  Any hints would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]

When I had my safe delivered the guy has a cart and a ramp to get it into the house.  It may have been an appliance dolly, it had a jack built in to raise the height of the lift deck so it could go up the ramp and not bottom out.

Once in the den we set it down on 1/2" steel rods and it slid real easy over the carpet and right into the corner of the closet.  Once in place we used a crowbar and block of wood (standing on the dumd end) to lift the safe enough to slide the rods out from under it.  

I'm sure the bottom is torn up but who cares, it's 850lbs, who's going to see it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just be happy you don't have to deal with stairs I had to take mine down a flight. It was one of the scariest things I have ever done.

But seriously remove the door it will lighten up alot. About 35-40% of the weight is in the door. To get the door off you have to lift it sraight up. this can be a little tough. I have heard of using a floor jack with some padding on it. When I did it me an my buddy were able to lift it off. You will ned to have someone lay on the top of the safe to hold it down while you lift the door off. The door has to go staight up about 3 inches. Becarful that door is heavy as hell and a little off balance.

Once the door is off you accually have something to hold on to. A dolly work great for going straight but sucks for corners. If you have wood floors then I would recomend either a wool banket or very think felt. This will let you slide the safe pretty easy. Should only take one guy to slide it. If your whole house is carpeted you have it easy. If the carpet is long then just slide it right on the carpet. If the carpet is really short or hard to slide on then those thin pieces of plastic are freakin slick and make it really easy to slide.
Just try to reduse the amout you have to pick that thing up it is freakin heavy. Hope this helps you. Email me if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I will be right over...

Slow and easy

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
650LB?  Lucky you!  Mine goes 2 1/2 TONS and WAS a bear to get into the garage!  Have never bolted it down - don't think I need to!

Appliance cart can easily handle that weight.  Movers, appliance people or frieght handlers can move that so easy it will scare you!  Dragging it on the carpet is likely to make wrinkles so avoid that.  Rent a good cart and 2 helpers.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a pretty green Browning myself.

A friend and I brought it in the front door using a appliance dolly, and once we hit carpet, we slip it into place, including around 2 90* turns.

We just did the old twist the safe a little, and push, then twist it the other way, and push:

It worked great.

Didn't use anything special once we hit the carpet, just the bottom of the safe.

Good luck on your mission.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I had my safe delivered the guy has a cart and a ramp to get it into the house.  It may have been an appliance dolly, it had a jack built in to raise the height of the lift deck so it could go up the ramp and not bottom out.
View Quote

That's what the guy had who delivered my safe & then he & another guy just manhandled it into place off the dolly.

A friend of mine swears the guy that delivered his used a bunch of golf balls to get his across the carpet.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Several lengths of PVC tubing and move it like the Egyptians did making the pyramids (remember the movie “The Ten Commandments”?).

It’s still a hard, slow process since you have to lift the safe slightly each time you place a piece of tubing underneath it.  

Smaller diameter tubing makes it easier to get the safe up on them to begin with, but harder to get the tubing to roll properly.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Rent a heavy duty dolly, one with a strap to tie it to the safe, and a pallet lifter. To be safe, it's a two or three person job. One to pull and one or two to help push it around and steady the safe while on the lifter.

Make sure to check the wheels on the lifter for grease and grime before dragging it across your nice carpet.

Use the dolly to move it short distances and to roll it on to the pallet lifter. Once it's on the lifter, pulling it around the house is a breeze even over small bumps and differences in floor hieght.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread sounds like a trial lawyers wet dream [:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:43:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
650LB?  Lucky you!  Mine goes 2 1/2 TONS and WAS a bear to get into the garage!
View Quote

Good Lord, man!  5000 POUNDS?!?!  I didn't even know they made safes that heavy!  Heaviest I can find is like an 1800lb Browning.  Sheesh!

-Gloftoe
View Quote

I have one that weighs in at 6250 lbs.  About 100 years old with lots of steel and concrete.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#13]
... I'm not kidding, it worked for me:

A hoola hoop and enough golf balls to fill the area once laid flat.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one that weighs in at 6250 lbs.  About 100 years old with lots of steel and concrete.
View Quote

Is it a built-in?  Like part of the house?  Man... that thing weighs as much as my Suburban!
View Quote

On wheels - old bank safe
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... I'm not kidding, it worked for me:

A hoola hoop and enough golf balls to fill the area once laid flat.
View Quote

Hmmmm - did you come up with that on your own? [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I've bought & moved two safes so I learned the hard way.  >gg<

First of all, FORGET the applience dolly. You have to tip & balance that sucker & it's a bitch to make tight turns on a two-wheeler.

As others suggested, golf balls help as long as you have a bunch. One or three ain't gonna cut it.  >gg<

I found the best thing to use is a furniture dolly, the four wheel type. It spins 360degrees so you can go anywhere you really need to go. It's fairly easy to tip off the safe when it's time to set it down.

Personally I would skip removing the door. It would seem to be more of a problem than it's worth.

FWIW, I completely moved my smaller safe, 650 lbs, by myself. A little redneck engineering will go a long ways.  >gg<
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine is an old hospital drug safe.  Reasonably secure; VERY heavy.  No floor bolts required!  There are several avid gun people around here and all would take a VERY dim view of someone  getting in one of the safes.  We watch each others properties for strangers. The perp would probably call the cops himself!!  His biggest fear should be the pretty 12yo girl across the road.  Three BIG and loyal dogs not to mention a dead eye with the .357 Mag!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top