Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2002 12:12:28 PM EDT
Hello Im trying to change the oil on my 95' Nissan P/U And I cannot get the filter off ts on so tight. It tightened itself sence i put it on by hand me and my father have tryed and bought just about every wrench possible and cant get it off its A V6 FWD so you have tyo reach through the right fender to get to it. Im about ready to go to japan and strangle the person who put it there.

any ideas on a way to get it off??
thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
i had a 91 nissan p/u and the same happened. i hammered a screwdriver through the filter and tapped on the end of it to free it. it was messy but it works.
good luck
-jay
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
i had a 91 nissan p/u and the same happened. i hammered a screwdriver through the filter and tapped on the end of it to free it. it was messy but it works.
good luck
-jay
View Quote

Ed Zachary
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
We used the screw driver method when I was a youngin' working at the gas station. Works every time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd bet a well placed 12 ga. slug would do the trick[;D]

Seriously, the screwdriver trick usualy works. I've got an old one I kinda sharpened so I don't have to beat it to hard to get through the filter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The standard wrenches probably don't work because of the limited space.  I suggest using a piece of SANDPAPER to get a better grip on the filter.  Due to the limited amount of time a filter stays on an engine and the oil surrounding the metal, it is very unlikely that the metal parts have seized.  The most likely thing holding the filter on is the melted rubber gasket.  With enough grip, the average person should be able to get the oil filter off if it was only hand tightened when installed.  Good luck.  Don't get burnt!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
screwdriver or big pair of channellock pliers..
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally got it with a plier type opil wrench
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hope I catch you in time.  Remeber to put a thin coat of oil on the gasket when you install the filter!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
50 cal

I did but thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#10]
In my garage I have these thick sheets of rubber I wrap around tight oil filters.  It makes the surface area a little bigger and gives a good grip.  Always works, but I doubt you have the same stuff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 2:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I finally got it with a plier type opil wrench
View Quote

I work on these things for a living. Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. Now that you have the plier type filter wrench, the next time you go to remove the filter reach down from the top to get to it. Once you get it loose you can spin it off by hand, rotate it so the fitting hole is up to reduce spillage and snake it out the top. Before you put the new one on get a can of brake cleaner and hose down the starter and top of the oil pan that's under the starter to avoid the annoying "after drip".
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Those things are a real bitch.  I have a '93 pickup and changed my oil once.  Never again.  Now it's off to the Quicky-Lube every three or four thousand miles, the few bucks are worth it to avoid the headache, spilled oil, blood pressure spike, etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd bet a well placed 12 ga. slug would do the trick
View Quote

I like your idea the best!!  No hammer needed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Make sure the gasket on the old filter doesn't  stay stuck to the engine. It happens occasionally —  if you don't notice it before installing the new filter, you'll end up with a leaker!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually, it's quite easy to change the oil filter on my '87 Nissan P/U, but that's the four banger model so there's plenty of room. I remember looking at the V6 back then and thinking, "How the hell will I change the oil?"
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:22:56 AM EDT
[#17]
3 words:
Remote oil filter setup.

(OK, OK its really 4 words, but you get the idea).

Had it on my '85 Nissan P/Up (one filter), 92 Nissan Pathfinder (1 filter) and my '98 Dodge Ram (2 full flow filters and one bypass oil filter).

Makes getting to and changing out the filters much easier.  Also, you can install larger filters (usually) than stock.

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you reccomend a 12ga load I could use to mow the lawn? How about something for shoveling the driveway in winter?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you reccomend a 12ga load I could use to mow the lawn? How about something for shoveling the driveway in winter?
View Quote

How about those "specialty 12ga rounds you see at the gun shows?  The "Bolo Round" when fired low and parallel to the ground should clear a swath through the toughest lawn.  The "Dragon's Breath" flame thrower round will make short work of snow on most paved driveways.

See?  All you have to do is ask!
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I had an 84 nissan and the only proper procedure I could come up with was to jack up the radiator cap and drive a Chevy under it, 200k miles later and still rollin  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top