Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:25:18 AM EDT
I had a very brief military career, and I am not sure how to get service records. Here is the crazy history.

I enlisted (reserve) when I was twenty, after two years of college. Before I shipped an ROTC recruiter got hold of me and nixed my enlistment. He signed me to an ROTC scholarship and I completed ROTC. During college I joined an armor unit under the SMP program. I served as a platoon leader there for about a year. I did all the cool ROTC stuff, airborne, etc. The problem comes in because right before commisioning I blew my ACL and MCL. I was in bad shape for over two years and had five operations. During this time I was dis-enrolled from ROTC because I was no longer medically fit. (the injury happened during a training event). I did not actively participate in the guard during this time because of a couple reasons.

1. I was in a cast from my ankle to hip for several months.
2. The unit was five hours from where I lived
3. I was in communication with the unit during this time and they knew I was banged and unable to be a tanker.
4. I had formally asked for a medical review, which took them two years to send me for a physical.
5.I had asked to be put in the IRR.

I was finally transfered to the IRR. When I recieved paperwork from the guard, I recived a General discharge (under honorable condition) and the ARCOM for my service to the unit. (I was very involved before I was injured.) My IRR time ran out in April, and I am yet to recieve any discharge or anything from them. The service record that I do have is some NGB form from the guard. Where do I even start?

I need to get a DD214 because I am a cop now and I am trying to go federal. I also need to get my discharge from the guard changed. How bad is a general under honarable conditions? Everyone I call with questions plays the situation off on another component.

I just need these records so I can continue to serve my country. I am very frustrated. PLEASE HELP.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:30:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 10:31:15 AM EDT by mr_wilson]
Try the link below the title here: www.stolenvalor.com/


ps - added this excerpt:

Filing a FOIA request is not always necessary. To obtain your own service records, simply send a letter to the National Personnel Records Center, Army (Air Force or Navy) Records Center, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO, 63132. Give your full name, branch of service, social security number (or service number), and sign the letter.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:02:06 PM EDT

Scroll down and click on the red button at the bottom, a DD-214 no longer takes 6 months to get more like weeks. You will fill out the online form and get a print out that you will fax in and that is it. Very easy. Later
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:51:43 PM EDT
If you were only in the Guard you won't get a DD214; an NGB 22 is the Guard version -
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:04 AM EDT
There is nothing wrong with the type and chapter of your discharge. You main problem is going to be the fact that it appears that you didn't complete you commisioning process or an MOS producing school. Are you trying to get a comission or go enlisted? You need to talk to a recruiter because they will know exactly what paperwork you will need. Good luck.
Top Top