Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:42:18 AM EDT
I have a question for you carpenter types. We are just finishing up a remodel on our house, and there are a couple things I am having problems with, so I’m hoping somebody can help out with ideas. The first issue is with new wood stairs we put in. I want to put quarter round to finish off the stairs, so there aren’t any gaps between the risers, treads, and the skirtboard. Here is a pic of what I have right now. You can see the first piece of trim going across the back of the tread, and the second short piece on the left side. I am going to cut these at a 45 degree angle so they match up, and use a router on the other end of the left side so it is rounded off nicely. But what the heck can I do add another piece in the back corner (running vertically) where those 2 pieces come together? Right now I’m out of ideas and will probably just leave it as is, unless I get some good ideas from you guys… [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p62752f0c9bd8373e105ede9d35b3b83f/fbc80452.jpg[/img] The second problem is with a half railing that we ripped out. The old one was wrought iron, and the new one will be oak. You can see the newel post in the pic below. For the railing to be at 36” it would basically have to run right on top of the ledge you see with all the frickin cats on it. I don’t want to do this because I think it would look kind of goofy that way. The railing can’t attach directly to the wall since the max height of the railing then would be about 33” and out of code. Are there any adapters you can buy that can attach to the railing, and allow it to drop a couple inches to anchor into the wall? [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/pf62061de00d83310cf05208c3c46aaa4/fbc80455.jpg[/img] Thanks for the help, let me know if you have any questions!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:48:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 6:49:18 AM EDT by illigb]
Cope the quarter round trim. You can fit multiple joints together this way. Edited to say, this is for your issue #1.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 6:52:02 AM EDT
the 2 flats cut at a 45 degree in the corner so the poits touch in the corner then for the vertical two 45 reversed on the point to touch the other two to lie in the two that r flat flat
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:01:45 AM EDT
Hkshtr, forget the quarter round on the vertical part of the riser and use wood putty that matches up well with the color of the wood and finish it the same as the wood. I would do the same on the sides and back of the treads unless the gaps are over 3/16ths. Trust me; it will look much better than the trim. As far as the railing goes, have you thought of making a built up oak rail cap for it to bring it up to height?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:18:50 AM EDT
Home Depot, Lowes and hardware outlets usually carry rail attachment hardware so that the railing may be attached to the wall. I would be more in favor of "building up" the existing height and then attaching railing per previous suggestion by the other respondent.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:49:42 AM EDT
THISISME - I'm just a DIY'er when it comes to this kind of stuff so let me apoligize in advance for stupid questions... what do you mean by making a built up oak rail cap?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:57:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/2/2003 7:58:22 AM EDT by KODoc]
Just my 2 cents but I agree with THISME regarding bagging the stair molding. Your stairs aren't particularly deep and you'll be kicking the heck out of it. Also, at some point you might want to install a runner, maybe with decorative brass retention rods. The molding will make that idea a no go.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:03:22 AM EDT
I would forget the quarter-round and fill the gaps in the risers and treads with putty. Even better would be to put a dab of glue in the gaps and then rub in some sawdust of the same material. The sawdust and glue is less noticable IMO. I sometimes use shoe-mould across the back of the treads just to add a little profile. The newel post should be long enough that you can mortise out 6-8" and about half the thickness of the post to allow it to sit on the floor but attach to the wall, if that makes any sense. Or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:09:12 AM EDT
The only reason I was going to go with the quarter round instead of the wood filler is that I have used it in the past and it looked like crap. Even after staining it it was very obvious, and didn't even look close to the color of the stain. Maybe I will give the sawdust idea a try first instead...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:41:40 AM EDT
Hkshtr, 1X6 across the top of the wall and 1X4 on each side under the top piece makes a good cap on the top of your pony wall. If you need 36” in height then you will need to add some material to the top of the wall first. Some times it takes a little work to match the color of the putty to the wood.
Top Top